Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboard/synth suggestions?

EliteZags

looking to buy a workstation under $400 or so to play around with, kinda a noob to this world but played guitar and piano half my life so I already have a full scaled digital piano and an older mid-end keyboard but kinda getting pulled into the mixing fad now(just returned from coachella think that pushed me over the edge)

wouldn't mind going for used off craigslist/ebay to get more value for the $, but how recent should the model be to be up to date enough in tech

I'm pretty much starting from scratch don't really know much about synths so not sure what to look for with features etc

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say find a used Yamaha MO6... for about $500. Doesn't have sampling but has a nice palette of sounds + a decent built-in sequencer (especially for getting ideas down fast).

This assumes 61, non-weighted keys is ok. You can always control it from the digital piano via MIDI.

I liked the MO8 (88-key, hammer action model) for the time I had it ... outgrew it, but it's a great bang-for-buck board, despite not being the latest model.

-John

I make software noises.

Pick up a used Triton. It's in your budget and a massively capable workstation. They are under valued unlike the Motifs which hold their value and are always expensive. The Roland Fantom S can be found cheap too and are okay but Korg invented the genre and the Triton houses Roland's offerings. The Yamahas sound great too but even old ones run around a grand.

Peace Out,

D

Some advice: you'll probably have better luck if you actually listen to the advice being given. :thu: (The item you linked to is a controller with no sounds at all. )

That's not a workstation. That's a MIDI controller. What Sven said. It doesn't make sounds at all, but you could use it to control software like Reason on your computer. Doesn't sound like that's what you want to do.

A used Triton is not a bad way to go either.

I make software noises.

A hardware workstation keyboard is a self-contained unit that consists of a synth (and possibly sampling) engine that allows a number of simultaneous sounds (multi-timbral) plus the ability to sequence those sounds (and possibly record audio as well, although that's more $). See Yamaha's description of the MO6 or MOX6 to get a sense of what you can do here.

A software workstation will reside inside the computer, and you can control it from whatever MIDI device(s) you want, including a hardware workstation keyboard. :) See Propellerhead Reason for an example of this.

-John

I make software noises.

Buying used is always wise & benefit far exceeds cost

problems may occur from beat up synths or neglected by previous owners

if you're spend much time facing a monitor booting VA than in front of multi-tiered keyboard stands

the better fit would be VA software and a good controller :cool:

KORG Kronos 76key/ Triton Extreme 88key

Dave Smith Instruments PROPHET 8/NEO Ventilator/ROLAND V-Synth GT/ACCESS Virus TI 2/ROLAND Jupiter80

JBL Pro LSR6328P Studio Monitors & JBL Pro LSR6312P Subwoofer

not finding mayn tritons under 1k..

would this be too dated (2006)?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLJUNOG

if I could pick one up ~$500?

how tough is it to get weighted/semi-weighted keys w/ something like these?

The Roland is decent.

Tritons come in all vintages and varieties...Triton Classic, Triton Extreme, Triton LE...you'll find a variety of prices. I got my Triton PRO (76 key, classic) probably 12 years ago for around $900. I'm sure they've come WAY down since then. Triton LE was a less expensive version out for a while that didn't have the touch screen, those should be cheap.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived