Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC361 + Yamaha NP30 (or NP31)

Charleston

It looks like this rig could be had for about $1250. PC361 on top and NP30(31) on bottom (midi out to PC361, not playing any sounds from NP30). Is anyone using it like this? I read the other thread that was similar, but the OP was doing the opposite.....controlling the KB3 mode from a controller.

I am trying to put together my meat/potatoes rig: Organ always on top, and pianos (AP/EP/Clav/Wurl/etc.) with layering options on bottom.

I originally had my heart set on the SK1 and SV-1 (layering with SK1 "extra voices") combo, but I'll just wait until things get straightened-out with the SV-1 or there is a new version. And the SK1 and NP30 wouldn't work because the SK1's extra voices are monotimbral. Plus, the PC361 is just so affordable right now.

I understand the NP30 has cheap springy action (never played one), but I was hoping it would be just decent enough until something better comes along (and I save up more money). And maybe later the NP30 could be used as a future "backup" or input device for DAW or something.

Anyway, from a technical standpoint, would this combo work okay?

Can I always keep the PC361 in KB3 mode, and still easily choose sounds/layers for the NP30?

I like how there are easy to find banks/categories on the PC361 front panel, but could those be changing the NP30's sounds/layers easily? Is this easy to do on the fly, or would I need to have it programmed ahead of time?

Is any of this even possible? Is there enough polyphony?

If I need to program everything ahead of time, does the PC sound editor work well? The demos looked great!

So for example: I play a song using KB3 organ (on top on the PC361) and piano/string (on bottom midi from NP30). Can I quickly change the piano/string to brass/orchestra split using the PC361 panel? Or would I need to have pre-programmed that to a "performance" or something?

Is there a major difference between the NP30 or NP31 that would effect this combo?

All thoughts are welcome, even the ones saying this is a really dumb idea.... :laugh: Is it worth the trouble, or better to wait for SV-2, or get something else? I really want quality ep's/clavs/wurlys/etc...with options for layers.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't waste the money on the Yamaha myself. I would try to to come up with another $125-$200 and get a Casio CDP-120 or a Studiologic SL-990 PRO 88-Key MIDI Controller.

If I couldn't I would just play the Kurz until I could.

What I would really do is look for a used decent MIDI keyboard on Craigslist.

I think the NP series action is junk. But that is just me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Is it worth the trouble, or better to wait for SV-2, or get something else? I really want quality ep's/clavs/wurlys/etc...with options for layers.

I wouldn't wait on the model coming out tomorrow if the goal is being able to play music today.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than the best quality I could afford today.

Despite the SV-1 "issues" discussed around the 'net, there are folks gigging regularly with that KB.

But, it sounds like you may want to spend a few hours in a music store. Play KBs within your budget that cover the required bases.

Hopefully, a KB will tickle the finger-to-ear connection. That is the KB to buy and make the most out of it. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My rig is exactly organ on top, with piano/strings/synths/layers/splits on bottom. For organ I have a vintage Korg CX3 (you could certainly do better than that with something newer).

For the bottom keyboard I use a Privia PX3. In a band setting I find the Privia's pianos, EPs, Wurli, etc acceptable. Action is weighted if you like that kind of thing and to lug around it is very light. Lots of flexibility for splits/layers and it is an excellent midi controller (so you could control the top keyboard or a module or something in the future).

The Privia is low cost/high value in my view, but your ears may not like it and may want something high end instead. It works well in my rig.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

I think the setup you describe would work just fine. Though I can't answer your question about how easy it is on the PC361 to change the "remote" board sound while keeping the sound of its own board constant. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know how much advance setup is required or how easy it would be to do in practice. I can say it would be easy if the second board itself was capable of easily sending Program Change messages on its dedicated MIDI channel, but the NP-30 would be very limited in that capacity. So the question then is how easy or difficult it is to facilitate it from the Kurzweil side, and that's the part I can't answer.

That said, there's nothing "wrong" with the SV1 right now... people have been buying and enjoying them for years. There's no guarantee that they will ever be better than they are today, though certainly Korg will eventually come out with something else.

OTOH, if the PC361 is giving all the sounds you need, the SV1 may be overkill, if all you need is a soundless board to play piano parts on. The NP-30 will work (and will be better for piano than the action in the PC361 itself), but a weighted action will be better. A Casio CDP-100, Korg SP-170, or Yamaha P-95 would all do the trick. (NOT a Casio CDP-120 or PX-130, since they lack standard 5-pin DIN MIDI outputs.) But again, something that could send out MIDI Program Change commands would make your life a whole lot easier, so I'd actually recommend a Casio PX-3. I think a PC361 and a PX3 would be a pretty nice low cost combo, and you wouldn't have to jump through all kinds of hoops to do what you want. You might even find some nice sounds you'd like to use on the PX-3 itself as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Glad my recommendation wasn't totally off base with the PX-3. I've really gotten to like mine (the EP Pure setting is scarily like my Fender Rhodes 73 that gathers dust in my garage). I'm in a quartet and for some tunes I have a split with different layers on either side of the split! The 64 saved registrations are enough for me and strong MIDI controller support leaves you open to talk to stuff in your existing rig and things you may add in the future. I've learned to line my registrations for live performance so I stay in the same bank and just hit the next button in line to go to the next sound I need within any given song.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

I have the SV-1 and last week got the PC361. The pianos, EP's,and clavs sound so much better on the SV-1, so much so that I can't stand the PC361 for those sounds. Strings, pads, orchestral, synth, the PC361 is a monster.

I also wanted a SK1 to go with my SV-1 and bought the PC361 because of the price, but it doesn't satisfy what I wanted it for. Even the organ is somewhat disappointing. I'll probably keep the PC361 because it's a lot of keyboard for the price I paid, but I'm looking at buying a SK1 real soon.

When I bought my SV-1 in January Korg gave me an additional year of warranty when I registered online. I'm on my second keyboard with the RH3 and have never had a problem, but with a two year warranty I figure I'm covered.

If you're looking to put together a good affordable rig the PC361 is a good place to start, but if you're like me where you have your heart set on a certain piece of gear and you try to make do with something else you take the chance of not being satisfied.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Speaking for the Kurzweil side of things... I'm pretty sure you can do everything you're asking about.

There are a number of ways to deal with patch changes on the PC3.

You can create Quick Access banks, you can program the sw pedal to increment to the next sound in a list.

Also, you can program certain channels to receive MIDI program changes, while having the channel with the B3 sound NOT receiving those messages.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

davew@ycrdi.com

An easy way to start can be to make a setup with a few of the sounds you need, for instance;

- layer 1: B3

- layer 2: Wurlitzer

- layer 3: Piano

- layer 4: Rhodes

Assign any panel switch (for instance, "arp") to toggle between KB3control and zone mutes, when you play Hammond you can use all the KB3 controls, when you want to activate/deactivate a layer, just hit "arp" and use the zone mutes.

Speaking for the Kurzweil side of things... I'm pretty sure you can do everything you're asking about.

You can create Quick Access banks, you can program the sw pedal to increment to the next sound in a list.

Also, you can program certain channels to receive MIDI program changes, while having the channel with the B3 sound NOT receiving those messages.

davew@ycrdi.com

Is there a video kicking around somewhere that illustrates some of these patch change techniques?

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

davew@ycrdi.com

Is there a video kicking around somewhere that illustrates some of these patch change techniques?

Have you seen these:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc361/video/

Also if you search "PC3 Tutorial" in youtube there is a slew of stuff.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

davew@ycrdi.com

Have you seen these:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc361/video/

Also if you search "PC3 Tutorial" in youtube there is a slew of stuff.

Yes i have seen them and they were great. But none of them really addressed the issue of patch changes in a live setting.

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I'd go for loading the programs you need in a setup and muting/unmuting zones. That way, you won't have to deal with patch changes at all. You can use the eight program switches for muting too...

But if the PC3 is in KB3 mode, the sliders/buttons are dedicated to the organ, right?

I'd go for loading the programs you need in a setup and muting/unmuting zones. That way, you won't have to deal with patch changes at all. You can use the eight program switches for muting too...

Yeah, sounds like a plan. I'll check it out.

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived