Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum Tracks for practice

joes garage

I recently started making drum tracks using Logic Pro to practice along with (versus metronome) and it takes a about an hour per song to get them right. Does anyone else do this and if so, can they be shared? I don't try and copy the original drum track, simply put fills where the belong and so forth, so there should be no copyright issues, right?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean 'I don't copy the original drum track.' What original drum track are you talking about?

And as far as copyright issues go, what are you doing with your tracks? Just using them for yourself? Giving them away for free to students and friends? There are no issues there. Making playalongs and selling them? As long as you don't call the tune by its real name, there isn't a problem. But here's another question....who would want to buy those tracks when there are plenty of awesome commercially ones available, and many of them already free?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Rhythm can't be copyrighted, so even if you transcribed the drums from a song note-for-note, you're in the clear. That's assuming, of course, that you didn't sample the actual drum sounds from the original recordings. Even if that were the case, copyright isn't an issue if you're just using these personally as a practice aid. That's Fair Use.

And I think you can title it with the original songs title.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 350 of Harry's jazz piano arrangements of standards, for educational purposes, and tutoring at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas

• 3 months later...
Ever heard about Band-in-a-box? It's the perfect practice companion, especially when using the Real Drum -tracks. But it's not exactly free, of course.
Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

I just informed ascap and bmi that you are potentially infringing upon copyrights which you will be using alone in your house to practice. They are coming to your house as soon as they can trace your IP address.

-Also the drummers who played on the recordings you have copied will each need 7 cents for every time that you played that track, including pro rated payments and partial plays. If anyone in your house heard these tracks being played from the other room, then you will be required to pay additional fees and if you played or sang along with the illegal recordings then you will have to pay the songwriters and the record companies.....

your best move would be to set your hard drive on fire before they get to you!!!

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

Archived