Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

well, it looks like I'm getting a Rhodes.

yorgatron

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's kind of low to play correctly?

Linus Edition Rhodes!!!!

Was a very popular and very rare edition of the Rhodes that was very hyped and anticipated!!

Epic find!!!

Toys: Hammond SK1, Yamaha Motif ES6, Voce V5+, Virus ti 61, Mason & Hamlin upright, Everett upright, Hammond M3, Korg CX3 analog, Motion Sound Pro145, QSC K10, H&K Rotosphere.. etc

Congrats on the acquisition mayne. I hope you're able to make a profit on it. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Cool! Have you done this before?

I can see it has a couple dodgy keys; most likely the pedestal or hammer is broken. Depending on what model, those shouldn't be hard to fix. If the pedestal has broken off, you might find it sliding around inside the case, and it's a snap to glue back on.

Take a pic of the stamped in numbers on the harp so we'll know when it was made. Also take a snap of the action where the key pedestal pushes the hammer: we can tell a lot about what model it is from that (really most of the most important info is right there).

I assume you know that it's easy to take out a few screws and then the "harp" can move on two pivoted arms; you can swing it up and stand it upright. That makes it easy to get to the keys and hammers. Also, you take off the front rail that the nameplate and knobs are on, and then have full access to all the keys.

Be sure to watch all the videos by Vintage Vibe, on Youtube. You can find a list of them on their site, though they're not organized very well. (There's a best order to watch them, and they're not listed in that order. Doh!) I think I put a few links on my thread on my rhodes refurb that might help.

I'm guessing it's a late model Mark I, much like mine, but it could be earlier and I couldn't tell from the outside. But they sold so many in that era, that's what most of them are that aren't Mark II's.

Best places for parts is Vintage Vibe and Speakeasy. I got all mine from VV.

looks like 50th week of '77?

http://i.imgur.com/WvvoY.jpg

I don't really want to start working on this, too many other projects.

plus there's no sustain pedal or legs, or anyplace to attach them...

hopefully they'll just come pick it up and it'll be their headache.

Oh, I thought you were going to do the fixup.

Well, point your guitarist / keyboard-wannabe here and we'll help him set it to rights. Yes, that's 50th week of 77, which makes it just a little newer than mine (45th week of 77).

The pedal and rod can be bought from Vintage Vibe; the rod is just a drum hihat rod (Rogers, if I'm not mistaken -- whatever drum brand was Fender-owned at the time). The pedal used to be $150 but VV now has good ones for $75, and it's a necessary item. Tell him he'll want the pedal while doing the work so not to wait on that.

As for legs, well they're available too, but I'd just plop it down on an X stand or whatever. (Double-braced, heavy duty X, and not the kind that can look like it's locked when it's not.)

Oh, I thought you were going to do the fixup.

well, I was just going to pick this up and flip it real fast, but then I made the mistake of plugging it in.

then I started watching how-to videos on YouTube.

and now I'm having second thoughts... :crazy:

HAHA! I guess we shoulda warned you.

As fixit jobs go, they're pretty easy to work on. The only issue is repeating the same thing on all 73 keys, adds up to time. For about $150 you can give it the royal treatment rework (a bill or two more if you restore the outside, too).

As above, my condolences. :laugh:

it's not your fault, I've been here awhile and I should know better.

but one of the other music forums I belong to has "Rhodes Fever" lately, and when this came up on craigslist I had to buy it.

and it's not like I don't need it ( you knew there was going to be some rationalization in here somewhere, right? ) because I need something with weighted action to practice on, since I'm only playing organ & clavinet lately.

and the Pianet doesn't have a sustain pedal, and, and...

and it's not like I don't need it ( you knew there was going to be some rationalization in here somewhere, right? ) because I need something with weighted action to practice on, since I'm only playing organ & clavinet lately.

and the Pianet doesn't have a sustain pedal, and, and...

DUDE... No rationalization is needed on this forum. You're preaching to the choir! :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

so, I opened it up and had a look;

http://i.imgur.com/2jz6X.jpg

5 keys are broken. 3 of'em look like they could be glued back together, the one I'm holding might be repairable if I don't get glue on the felt bushing, and the top of Eb is missing altogether. looks like someone dropped this.

and even if gluing doesn't work the individual keys from VintageVibe seem to be cheap enough.

I can probably figure out how to do all the adjustments pretty easily. doesn't look like there's too much corrosion in here.

oh well, looks like a keeper.

If you don't mind, tell us what you paid. If the worst problems are the missing legs and broken keys, I'd say $400 would have been a fair price -- maybe even a good deal.

Where that key's broken, I'd probably buy a new one, but go ahead and glue it first. If nothing else, to work while waiting for the new part.

Your damper felts look in good condition, similar to mine, i.e. a piano that's been played a lot but not like someone's main keyboard for decades, and not worn out. If the pickups are still nice and pink and most of the wrappers on, that'll be good.

Mine have the wrappers but they're all just starting to come loose at the ends. If I knew what to use I'd probably glue them back down.

Restoring a Rhodes is a project every EP player should tackle at least once. I got mine up and running like a top over the past year and it made its first appearance with the jazz band a week ago

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/fender_rhodes/sparkletop-in-action.jpg

oooh, a suitcase! sparkle-top, too. I've never owned one, but I've always enjoyed playing them.

Great deal on the Rhodes, Yorgatron, even if there are a number of hidden issues. It's worth more than that in parts, and it sure doesn't look like one that's totalled.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/4ifN6.gif

I had 7 broken keys on this, 6 were broken in the middle and one of the black keys had the top broken off.

I glued the 6 back together, the 7th I carved a keytop from a piece of wood, glued it on, and spray painted it black. I installed it as the lowest F# because I'll rarely hit it unless I'm walking a bass line.

total expenditure after initial purchase price; $0.00

http://www.myspace.com/yorgatron/videos/rhodes-test/108615141

Isn't it funny how like 90% of all Fender Rhodes stage models on the market have a missing sustain pedal? Makes you wonder if there's a secret room deep beneath the earth that has a bunch of Rhodes pedals in it.

Isn't it funny how like 90% of all Fender Rhodes stage models on the market have a missing sustain pedal? Makes you wonder if there's a secret room deep beneath the earth that has a bunch of Rhodes pedals in it.
That's next to the room with all those missing unmatched socks.

That's next to the room with all those missing unmatched socks.

and if I could find those rooms I'd be a rich man.

OT - WARNING - Geek Alert

Solution to mismatched socks: Throw away old socks, buy a dozen pair, all same brand, color, and type. Mix as desired - they are all the same.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived