Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: The new iPAD

ITGITC

The NEW Apple iPad

Here are some of the rumors regarding improvements over the iPad2:

2048 X 1526 Retina display

4G LTE with AT&T and Verizon

new faster quad-core A5X processor

more RAM

improved camera

updates to iOS to make it all work

=============

I really like our iPad2, but I'm not sure the new features will make it worthwhile to trade up.

Here is the link to CNET's COVERAGE.

Since a few of you use the iPad for music, I thought this could be of interest... and it could be a pretty good excuse to celebrate with a beer or something.

Just sayin'... :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was pretty funny.

From Daring Fireball:

AP: New iPad Expected to Have Modest Upgrades

Peter Svensson, writing for the AP:

"Apple is expected to reveal a new iPad model on Wednesday, with a sharper screen and perhaps an option for faster wireless broadband. The upgrades are relatively minor, but the iPad is secure in its position as the king of tablets."

I suspect this is a prelude to much of tomorrows post-event coverage, echoing the initial tech press reaction to the iPhone 4S. But if a faster processor, more RAM, a double-the-resolution retina display, a better camera, and maybe even LTE networking make for a modest update, then what would it take for the iPad 3 to be deemed an immodest update? A fusion energy source? Teleportation? A camera that sees into the future?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

according to macrumours, there is a possibility of haptics (Sp?), which is a sort of kinetic feedback, allowing you to touch textures...that would be cool..:)

still, I wont upgrade until the 4 or 5...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

The question is whether they can set a mark that WinTel can't compete against.

Battery life (and price point) is the argument against HD, more RAM, more cores, and 4G getting implemented all at once.

There are those convinced it is two models--one for highend professionals with a higher price as Apple stakes a claim in the $500 to $900 range with 2 models.

One model. Same Price, Size, Weight and battery life. March 16h.

Didn't discuss RAM or processor speed for general computer tasks as the theme is post-PC with emphasis on graphics chips, HD, voice interaction, video conferencing, and streaming capabilities over 4G.

yes...and I think the display on my 2 is fine just as it is, so no need to upgrade...

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

It will be interesting to see if its more capable processor and possible increase in RAM permit additional polyphony or larger sampled instruments to be loaded

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Since a few of you use the iPad for music, I thought this could be of interest... and it could be a pretty good excuse to celebrate with a beer or something.

Just sayin'... :cool:

I think it will be more of interest to those who use their tablets for video streaming and picture taking than those who use their iPads for music.

AT&T coupled the first iPad with a data deal that was unbelievably sweet. I'm wondering if they are going to do the same this time with LTE - give iPad owners a better data contract than Samsung Galaxy owners.

Apple has it's ways of getting what it wants out of these carriers.

I think it will be more of interest to those who use their tablets for video streaming and picture taking than those who use their iPads for music.

It might be interesting to those of us who were waiting for an iPad 2 price drop as a result of the introduction of the iPad HD.

there are petitions circulating the 'net calling on Apple to rectify the conditions in their factories. By making our voices heard, we can pressure them. Boycotting would seem to be a non-starter, though that tactic was successful in te transition to democracy in South Africa...

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

Apple gets all the attention in this worker issue, but they be the least culpable and the most upfront about what they are trying to do to change it.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Apple gets all the attention in this worker issue, but they be the least culpable and the most upfront about what they are trying to do to change it.

I disagree. I think they are the most culpable because they have the power and resources to change it and change it quickly. But it will cut into their profits to do so. Do you know what the profit margin is on the iPhone and iPad?

P.S. Please don't misunderstand, I want to see the conditions improve. You know where I stand on many issues Jim. I'm just saying that Apple gets targeted now because of their position, and in some regards, I think it's unfair. It's like when Greenpeace slammed their environmental record. I can't imagine how that made Steve Jobs feel, being the hippie type he was. Not that they couldn't do better and did, but to be singled out even when you're working on the issue is a real drag when it happens to you.

i was hoping we'd see MainStage support ...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

It will be interesting to see if its more capable processor and possible increase in RAM permit additional polyphony or larger sampled instruments to be loaded

It's quad-core for graphics. It's still dual-core for CPU functions. Likely this is to keep the battery drain reasonable. Have not heard that RAM has increased at all.

I have an ipad 2. I'm using it less and less for music and now largely just consumptive BS. I know we're in this "post-PC" world, HA HA HA HA HA, but a basic computer is still a 1,000 x better than an ipad for serious music applications.

Busch.

Busch,

Did you see my post on the GarageBand for iPad thread? The new version now has note editing.

Have not heard that RAM has increased at all.

Well, Apple never officially announces the RAM specs, but there is this...

http://www.cultofmac.com/150902/ios-hacker-confirms-ipad-3-will-get-1gb-of-ram/

so it's very possible...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Music production is not Apple's market anymore (my opinion).

The whole day was themed post-PC. 75% of revenue is iPod, iPad and iPhone, etc.

The all-in-one Macs will re-emerge as Apple TVs with iOS built in. That's what people want. They don't want silly workstations.

Air is an ARM iOS netbook in waiting. Hardcore "gotta have OSX on Intel" customers are 10% of their sales today. The other 15% could be flipped to iOS Mac Airs and all-in-ones easily.

What are the top selling MAC programs once again? Adobe, Intuit and Microsoft? Filemaker, Quark and Ableton made the top 100 sellers? Barely.

VMWare is expanding its iOS client. There's no room for the Wozniak's and geeks at today's Apple. The question now is how long before they kill the Apple II? I give it it 5 years of minimal life support.

Archived