Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-is that for real??

yannis D

Being an idiot is not strictly an American trait, we just flaunt it more.

....this. Somewhere, somehow, in this country, it feels like stupid became a positive trait. You know, kind of like,"I'm not one of them high-falutin' stuck up, book learnin' college educated (or "egicated?") fellers, I'm just a simple, good old boy, just like YOU, by the way, who loves this country". As if higher education is an elitist concept that renders one out of touch with real American values. If you can't fit it on a bumper sticker, it ain't worth knowing I guess...SAD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[video:youtube]

Why do I keeping thinking "Cherry Pye" - from the Carl Hiaasen novel "Star Island" ?

(A great read, BTW :laugh: )

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Not to get all political...but maybe the dude in the White House IS being a snob by suggesting everyone go to college....maybe we should just shoot for getting everyone's ass through 6th grade for starters.....

No Child Left Behind.Maybe start with eliminating that program (where schools have been teaching the test, as opposed to teaching).

Well just write off the adults at this point.

That program hasn't been around long enough to have generated all the dumb-asses out there, just a failed attempt to put a bandaid on a deeper problem. Schools/government can't force kids to do well in school, only PARENTS can do that.

How about allowing teachers to take care of the bad apples without being afraid of getting sued by the bad parents? Now THAT would be a good start.

My ex wife was a teacher. They caught a kid on camera stealing something out of a backpack and suspended him. The Grandma (because of course there are no parents in the picture), was irate at the school and accused them of doctoring the video in order to frame her grandson because he was black. I'm thinking, I know these teachers...they aren't smart enough to figure out how to doctor video, and certainly don't have the budget to get the software and computer to do it. But the kid can do anything and Grandma will always back him up.

Do you remember getting in trouble at school and being afraid of what your Dad was going to do when he found out?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Cygnus64, I apologize

Back at ya. :thu:

Being an idiot is not strictly an American trait, we just flaunt it more.

In my biz, we do "kiddie concerts", where the orch plays for bussed in kids (I'm sure many here went to one). In the US we'll do Old Macdonald, 3 minutes of Beethoven, Pop goes the Weasel, 2 minutes of a Bach piece etc........ did them in Europe too. We did Mozart Symphony #41, all repeats (about 45 minutes). :o:o Kids didn't make a peep.

I don't think Americans are dumb, just disparate. As for Geography, most Americans suck at it because we're isolated and huge. One can drive in a straight line from Bellingham Wa to Miami Beach and not hit another country for 3,400+ miles. In Europe, you would hit 10. Geography is not focused on in schools, especially high schools.

I don't think Americans are dumb, just disparate. As for Geography, most Americans suck at it because we're isolated and huge. One can drive in a straight line from Bellingham Wa to Miami Beach and not hit another country for 3,400+ miles. In Europe, you would hit 10. Geography is not focused on in schools, especially high schools.

Disagree, Brazil is almost as big and isolated as the US, going from one state to the next will take almost the same time as it'd take going from Miami to Georgia, for example. And i can tell most people there really know world geography and their own. It's more of an interest most north americans seem to lack, the country's size has nothing to do with it. And it doesn't matter if it's not focused on in schools, here you have public libraries in every corner of this country (there were at least 3 in a 10 miles ratio from my house), it's lack of interest, nothing else. Bad excuse.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Cute, but dumb like a stump.

I thought that politics (even geopolitical discussions) were taboo here? We seem to be skating close to that open water...

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Bad excuse.

I'm not attempting to make an excuse, things are as they are. Moreover, you missed it:

because we're isolated

That's not just Geography: The US is socially, economically, politically isolated. It's mainly self- made, but that's still isolation. US borders two countries: America lite and lower South Texas. :laugh: It's not like theres'a culture shock going into Canada and seeing their strange, exotic customs. Businesses in S. Texas accept Pesos.

the country's size has nothing to do with it.

50 states has something to do with it. Again, I was pointing out the isolation, especially from Europe.

Last month a world-wide survey was conducted by the UN.

The only question asked was:

"Could you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a massive failure because of the following:

1. In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

2. In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

3. In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

4. In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

5. In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

6. In Israel they didn't know what "please" meant.

7. In the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

8. In the UK they hung up as soon as they heard the Indian accent.

Archived