Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording At Sun Studio

Chad Thorne

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very cool, but you're playing your bass backwards... :laugh:

interesting trivia (to me at least): Sam Phillips, in addition to founding Sun Studios, was an early investor in Holiday Inn. How many guys could say they were pioneers in rock n roll and hotels?

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

very cool, but you're playing your bass backwards... :laugh:
Gosh, nobody ever said that to me before...

On one hand recording at Sun was a heady experience, in those moments when you think, "Oh, my God, Elvis/Jerry Lee Lewis/Johnny Cash recorded some of their biggest hits right there..." From a more immediate standpoint, it was a breeze, mostly because of Matt, the engineer, who is knowledgeable, efficient, cooperative and a real nice guy. He made it fun! Hourly rates are reasonable; you just have to wait until 6:00 p.m. to book it because they give tours during the days.

Gosh, nobody ever said that to me before...

sorry, it was lame, I know. Are those your guitarist's guitars lined along the wall there, or are they part of the memorabilia?

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Cool pic, Chad!

Sonny Boy and I are hoping to hit Memphis on our way to music camp in June. Would appreciate any suggestions on places to stay, eat, visit, etc. Thanks!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Cool pic, Chad!

Sonny Boy and I are hoping to hit Memphis on our way to music camp in June. Would appreciate any suggestions on places to stay, eat, visit, etc. Thanks!

We stayed at the Motel 6 on Francine. Not fancy but clean and quiet (and cheap). For food, "The Pig On Beale" has my vote, but it's all good up and down Beale. Gus's Fried Chicken on South Front St. (Yeah, Memphis isn't really a vegetarian mecca. You might want to pack some green vegetables...)

Sun Studio offers tours, as I said, as does Stax. The Civil Rights Museum was the hotel where MLK Jr. was killed; they turned it into a museum but preserved the balcony where King died. I didn't make it there, but my band mates said it was very moving.

How do you like the sound of things from the session?
We like it a lot. Classic Sun reverb on it; the engineer said, "I figure if I can't a Sun Studio reverb I'd better quit my job..." :laugh:

I'll try to get it online somewhere so that those who might be interested can hear it.

Archived