Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with a new Digital Piano/Keyboard for Country/Rock

Firedude721

AKG 240s. $99. An industry standard. I never go into any store to listen to keyboards without them.

It may be worth noting that the current AKG 240 series is not as accurate as their older models, but they are still decent phones. Also, though, for auditioning in a potentially noisy store environment, I find it preferable to use a closed back design instead of the AKG's semi-open.

Any recommendations in the 100-150 range or do I just need to bite the bullet and get the better model?

Roland Fantom X8 | Kurzweil PC361 | Yamaha Motif-Rack ES & Original | Korg Triton Rack

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AKG 240s. $99. An industry standard. I never go into any store to listen to keyboards without them.

It may be worth noting that the current AKG 240 series is not as accurate as their older models, but they are still decent phones. Also, though, for auditioning in a potentially noisy store environment, I find it preferable to use a closed back design instead of the AKG's semi-open.

Really ? Interesting. I have the older pair and the newer MK II series and I find the IIs to be every bit, if not more accurate then my old ones.

For the purpose of listening to keyboards, not mixing a record (fwiw my friend who has mastered for Capitol, religiously uses his 240s as another source to check his mixes ), I find these to be more then adequate.

My only beef is the headphone amp output on the CP5 is very weak and you have to crank the volume all the way up to hear it properly in the store. All the other keyboards are cool though. The 240s aren't as loud as other phones agreed.

Plus I always go to the GC or SA at off hours. Never later in the day or weekends-that's when more of the knuckleheads come out. I won't say never, but I normally don't have a problem hearing stuff.

For $99 you can't do better imo. You can spend more but I've found the incremental benefits to be minimal-especially for listening to a digital piano..ymmv :cool:

The most accurate version AKG ever made was the K240 DF. There have been numerous variations, but that's "the one."

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240DF/

Others have varied in assorted ways, with newer ones reportedly less accurate, but that's not to say they are bad.

But also, as you point out even by saying "I won't say never, but I normally don't have a problem hearing stuff," there *can* be an issue hearing stuff with open phones in uncontrolled environments. So if I didn't already own something and was going to buy something new anyway, which would often be used in uncontrolled environments, I'd get something closed, just to preemptively head off one more possible problem.

As for other phones to consider, there's a lot of good info at

http://www.headphone.com/

At $100, I'd probably go for the Shure SRH440.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Everyone is always looking for that Holy Grail Grand but unless youre playing ballads I dont think most Grand Piano samples cut through well or fit the mix when playing country/rock. I would look for a DP with great upright samples.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I would look for a DP with great upright samples.

Does anyone have upright samples besides Nord?

Good point. I'm not sure...?

Ok, samples or modeling. Either way the flagship grand in any of the keyboards being talked about are not the best for playing Billy P.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I would look for a DP with great upright samples.

Does anyone have upright samples besides Nord?

The SV-1 has an upright sample. I wouldn't call it "great," though. The PC3 (not a DP) has an upright sound, but it's still the Triple Strike.

Bottom line: Sound is important, but finger-to-sound can be equally, if not more important.

Word. Start with your favorite action; sounds can always be changed.

There you go. I have a Privia PX3 also but put an Oberheim sticker on the back, so I can relate.

But it's action seems to work really well for my hardware and DSP rack.

I prefer the PianoTeq Pro sound as I can detune it on a note for note basis and make it sound like an Upright Grand ala Ckickering Steinway.

Just a few notes in the A440 range +/- 4-5 notes, upper octaves clean and tuned precisely, then a Unison effect on the low end, and it even has Sostenuto.

But if I had to have a Digital Stage Piano, I would definately check out the Kawai MP series. Great action, great sound, but you're stuck with that perfectly tuned white sound, and chorusing is not an option.

The reason I prefer the slightly out of tune sounds is becasue it's more Honky Tonk and cuts through the Bass and Guitar stacks nicely.

Good Luck on your tour.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

Thanks for all the help! Headphones are on order and should be here thurday and then it's roadtrip north to play some keys. Fortunately, I work nights and I'll be there during the day when everyone else is working hard :-)

Jaime: Does the detuned sound really sound good? I've never detuned any instrument of mine (maybe I'm missing something). Do they (artists) do this in their albums often? I know they drop tune things often but detune? My Motif POWER GRAND sound came through clear as day...albiet a little too much and it didn't fit well with the music. (It sounds too electronic and not acoustic, I guess that's the best way to describe it.)

Roland Fantom X8 | Kurzweil PC361 | Yamaha Motif-Rack ES & Original | Korg Triton Rack

Hello all,

I made the road trip to Guitar Center and Sam Ash to check out the recommendations. Here's what I found;

Yamaha CP5 - Beautiful pianos and sounds throughout. I loved the action in the mids and upper keys, but missed the heavier lower end. Despite Yamaha's attempt to recreate this feeling with software, it just wasn't there. If this keybed was graded it would easily have been the best by a landslide! As previously reported the interface is a bit ackward but manageable nonetheless.

Korg Kronos 88 - WOW! I'd have to say, with a bit of EQ, the pianos were nothing short of amazing, in fact world class. The synth functions are outstanding and I didn't really think it took to long to load. The ends feel cheap as I suspected but the board's construction wasn't terrible. Objects on the touchscreen are small but I really didn't have much difficulty. Sadly the touch interface is not like an iPad, rather it is the old style. So I'm guessing you think I picked this one!? Nope. The action is yet again the worst of the big three. It's slow and mushy. (although it's far better than the tritons) If you're in the market for a 61 key workstation or synth, this should be your first choice. It truly sounds amazing!

Nords - They had 0 of each variety in stock

Kawai - the sales rep looked at me crosseyed and then said they don't have that brand.

Roland Fantom/RD700NX - The action was good and responded quickly but it felt odd to say the least. It was however better than the Korgs. The piano sounds were the poorest out of the previous mentions. To this point I was all but satisfied.

I returned to each of them to give each a second chance. I liked the Korgs sound even more. Such that I almost purchased it, despite it's marshmallow keys. The Roland felt better the second time around but I found it hard to even listen to the pianos after hearing the other two.

On my way to the CP5 I noticed the s90 and CP55 and tried each and was no more or less satisfied than before. What about the fancy motif that I had all but ruled out?

Stashed away in a secret hide away location was the XF8. I sat down to play and an hour later I realized how much of an @$$ other customers thought I must have been. I was that guy (I blame Yamaha).

I did one last final run through them all and still like the motifs action the best. The finger to sound was superb. (Its hard to pick between the pianos on the korg and the motif)

Final Thoughts - Don't kill me for typos, I'm on my iPhone. With 88 Keys Motif XF8 > CP5 > S90/CP55 > Kronos > RD/G8. Each of them were amazing instruments without question. It's tough to rank them all. (BTW I did try the new board from Casio and it's the same old action)

For 61 keys Korg Kronos. There is no other keyboard that can compare, and it's a live player's dream and sounds out of this world incredible!

Thanks for all of your help!

Which piano on the XF swayed you... the CFIII or the S6?

BTW, you'll get a third piano, S700, when you download the free "Inspiration In a Flash" add-ons.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

CFIII for sure. The S6 was nice but a little dark for my taste. I think it lacked some of the intensity when playing hard. The first patch was beautiful on the XF and I liked the rock piano as well. It was a little shrill but probably the best of the bunch as far as Rock pianos go.

Kawai - the sales rep looked at me crosseyed and then said they don't have that brand.

Which store was this? Sam Ash carries Kawai.

It was Sam Ash. I know they sell Kawai because it's on their website. Notwithstanding, he still told me they didn't carry it. Guitar Center didn't have any either and I didn't ask.

Archived