Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC K10 vs. K8????

kwyn

How big of a difference is there in these? Want to use for small outdoor gig. Also, to be heard practicing in basement over drums/guitar

Is one K8 loud enough to "compete" with my guitar player?

I can get K8 floor models for prob. $550 vs. 750 for new, in box k10's (maybe $700)

Thanks!

BTW, All sounds coming from Nord Electro 3/Vent.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a pair of K10's - never tried the K8's. Compete with guitar player - depends on what said player is using as an amp and how distorted he runs. Keys needs a full range sound, guitar not so. Keys needs low distortion (for most things), guitar not so.

Even a K10 has difficulty if the guitarist is using something like a 100w Marshall stack. However, at those levels, I won't be anywhere near the guitarist anyhow. (Like to keep what hearing I still have).

The K series does get reasonably loud - but there isn't really 1000 RMS true watts there. They run a 500 watt "music power" stereo amp inside, with one channel to the woofer, the other to the tweeter, which needs way less power than the woofer. It WILL get louder than your ears need to hear from a few feet away.

Outdoor - soaks up power since the space is un-enclosed. More hearing damage likely in the basement.

I did have an Electro 3 until I sold and bought the PC361. The K10 would be better for organ than the K8.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The Night Train is about the same power as my Fender Blues Jr, which I modified to be a low power Twin Reverb. You should find the QSC will keep up reasonably well.

OTOH, a genuine Twin Reverb pushes enough power to be deafening.

Your success depends mostly on whether the guitarist uses pedals and preamp distortion; or is the old-fashioned kind that wants all the knobs at 11 for power amp distortion.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The K8 will get as loud as the K10, but won't give the same bass response (obviously); the K8 will also not lie down in monitor position, whereas the K10 will.

The K10 is the best choice, IMO, for your situation.

For context, I started with a pair of K8's, and sold those and upgraded to a pair of K10's. Couldn't be happier.

Also, forgive me nitpicking, but I've often wondered why some people seem to feel that a single question mark isn't enough. What brings folks to put 4 question marks in a row? Are you concerned we won't think it's a real question with just one? Is there more urgency implied with the extra ones? Genuinely interested here. :confused:

The K8 will get as loud as the K10, but won't give the same bass response

According to the specs, the K10 goes 2 dB louder (and 5 or 6 Hz lower). The other differences is that dispersion is a bit less (90 degrees vs 105).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Also, forgive me nitpicking, but I've often wondered why some people seem to feel that a single question mark isn't enough. What brings folks to put 4 question marks in a row? Are you concerned we won't think it's a real question with just one? Is there more urgency implied with the extra ones? Genuinely interested here. :confused:

Because the redundancy compels me to respond.

Compels me to respond.

Compels me to respond.

Compels me to respond.

Compels me to respond.

I dunno why I put those. Guess I wanted to make it clear that when you opened this thread youd be answering a question rather than reading a review I wrote comparing the two products.

One ? Would've done, but quite honestly, I put ???? Without even thinking about it at all!!!! (notice the !!!!).

Anyways thanks for the responses. Very helpful... Should I even consider the 12s? Is that just overkill for me?

I got the 12s. They are good. If the only thing you are going to do is play keys through one speaker a 10 is enough. From what I read on this board the K10 may sound better than the K12 from the drivers seat.

I got a pair of 12s so I could use them for other things, like if want a small PA for a jam session or something. I never got a road case made for the QSCs and the band trailer can be brutal on gear so I have been using some $270 Behringers.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have a single K8 I use it either as a monitor when I am doing a big room with srm450s or by itself for small solo gigs or rehearsals - I love it - it sounds great - A friend used it as an emergency bass amp at a rehearsal and it sounded fine for the real book and jazz funk we were doing. Someday I will get it a companion - but just wanted to chime in with a plug for it - sounds great - it's light - and loud enough for the solo/duo/trio stuff I do at restaurants - and makes a great monitor for bigger club dates. I was debating a long time between it and the K10 - went w the smaller size.

Ended up finding a k12 used for $500... Is that a good deal? So someone mentioned that the k10s might be better than the 12s? Why?

Also, just played around and had to really crank the highs on my EQ on the Nord. Maybe I got used to my cheapo studio monitors. But the high end on my organ sounds Soooo quiet compared to the bass through the k12.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

I hear ya about the monitoring/pa thing, but I'd like the organ to come of pa similar to the monitors. I guess, tweaking the EQ on the Nord is the way to go. It just seems weird cranking the highs up so much.

Thanks!!

Thx...manual didn't come with it. Much appreciated... And straight from the manual:

"When using one of the top boxes with a subwoofer, the switch should be moved to the EXT SUB position to engage the 100 Hz high-pass filter. It is also recommended that the 100 Hz high-pass filter be engaged when using the K10 or K12 as a floor monitor to prevent excessive bass build up on the stage."

I'll try it. Thx again everyone. This forum is priceless!

Yeah, it's going to be a LOT bassier than the Samsons. You can get headphones that have fuller bass than those Samsons. I'd say spend more time getting used to the sound of the K12 than comparing them to a pair of cheap glorified computer monitors. The K12 is in a infinitely different class.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Even though the K12 above has been bought, just wanted to chime in about the K8. I was going to get the K10, but due to bad back problems, went with the lightest one. I have no problems keeping up with two bands. The amount of bass is fine (without flipping the switch) and the highs are great. If anything, I turn the highs down on my Electro 3. BIgger venue, louder band, I plug into the PA and turn that up. I do not have any problems hearing the K8 as monitor. I find elevating it works better than using it as a floor wedge, but that's easily do-able, too. (I only use my Traynor K4 now for practice/backup.

Nord Piano, Nord Electro 3, Nord C1, Traynor K4, QSC K8, various guitars and amps.

Lurking more than posting, but here a lot. Thanks to KC!!!

Okay, here's my question. I went to GC this week and plugged a kronos into both a single k8 and single k10 (one at a time) as I'd only monitor in mono.

I found the relatively low LF on the k8 (for piano, organ, EP, synth, pads, strings, etc) to be less than acceptable for me. I so much preferred switching to the k10.

But granted, this was NOT in a setting of a loud band competing with the monitor.

So while in isolation I preferred the k10, you k8 owners are still finding the LF response acceptable for KB monitoring in loud band settings?

I have the k10 and love it. It's the perfect combination of bass response to weight for me. The 8" speakers are VERY tempting at around 20 lbs...i mean, you sort of can't beat it. I wish the k8 had wedge capabilities like it's bigger brothers, but this guy figured out how to do it:
atomicfunkproject.com

I got the 12s. They are good. If the only thing you are going to do is play keys through one speaker a 10 is enough. From what I read on this board the K10 may sound better than the K12 from the drivers seat.

I have a pair of K12s and a pair of K10s. From my perspective, the K10s are "honkier" in the mids (especially noticiable on acoustic piano) in addition to less bass than the K12s. EQ-ing out the honkiness with a stereo 15 band graphic never really quite worked, either.

And, the K12s are 2 dB louder (+10 dB is considered twice as loud, +3 dB is noticeably louder).

I use the soft cordura nylon case with each set. Not only is the K12 heavier, it is also considerably bulkier. Not a problem for a guy, but my wife's band has to use the K10s. I still prefer the K12s. Acoustic piano sounds correct (flat frequency).

I still prefer the K12s. Acoustic piano sounds correct (flat frequency).

When I auditioned the three, the piano is what made the decision. (Using a single K12 as monitor and for small gigs.) If I wasn't playing exposed acoustic piano sounds, the 10 would make things much more convenient.

I have the k10 and love it. It's the perfect combination of bass response to weight for me. The 8" speakers are VERY tempting at around 20 lbs...i mean, you sort of can't beat it. I wish the k8 had wedge capabilities like it's bigger brothers, but this guy figured out how to do it:

Wow! Going to get bolts and feet for my K8s as soon as possible (and putting my low profile Quik-lok speaker stands on eBay!)

......just wanted to chime in about the K8. I was going to get the K10, but due to bad back problems, went with the lightest one. I have no problems keeping up with two bands. The amount of bass is fine (without flipping the switch) and the highs are great.

I too have been dithering a bit between the K8 & K10, & also have back problems. For me, would be mainly for home use with (for now) a kurzweil PC3. I've read the user reviews of both on Amazon, & there are some very positive reviews of both the K8 & K10 for kybd use. The lower weight of the K8 would be nice, but then the K10 is only $50 more roughly (but 5 more lbs.). And even for home use seems like you always have to schlep them occasionally. Decisions....??

Probably a very dumb question: With 2 K8's or K10's, could I just connect the L & R outputs of the PC3 & get a "stereo" image? Or would I need a small mixer?.

I should also get speaker stands like someone else here posted about.....

Archived