Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1971 Fender Precision Bass

C Steve Araujo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, but did you just put it back together "as is" or did you replace those various funky parts, like the hardened foam? Would have been interesting to see the restoration as well as the deconstruction. Also, I didn't really understand some of the commentary: why is it meaningful that somebody stamped a part a certain way, or jotted down a number? What difference does that make?

Overall, pretty cool, though. Thanks for sharing.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Interesting, but did you just put it back together "as is" or did you replace those various funky parts, like the hardened foam? Would have been interesting to see the restoration as well as the deconstruction. Also, I didn't really understand some of the commentary: why is it meaningful that somebody stamped a part a certain way, or jotted down a number? What difference does that make?

Overall, pretty cool, though. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Richard, glad you dug the video. We put the bass back together as is because there's nothing wrong with it, lt sounds and plays killer.....if it ain't broke.....

Also, I really like the weird cryptic markings on headstocks, and wherever they can be found of vintage instruments, I also believe there are some people that have never seen the neck pocket of an old instrument. Bottom line, it's meaningful to me and that's who I make the vids for.....the bonus is people liking them.

Thanks again!!

I once disassembled and reassembled a rocking chair that had belonged to my great-grandparents and is at least 100 years old. Felt like I was doing brain surgery on my grandmother! It would scare me to death to take a drill/driver to a vintage bass; I can envision it slipping out of the screw slot and merrily dancing its way across the instrument face. You guys did a great job, however, and it's a very enjoyable vid to watch. Thanks!

Also, I really like the weird cryptic markings on headstocks, and wherever they can be found of vintage instruments...

I get that. I helped rehab my sister's old Victorian home and when we stripped off the wallpaper, we'd see pencil-written notes by the original workmen on the plaster--measurements, simple addition problems, and what not. Makes you realize there were actual humans involved in the making.

Like Chad said, too, I did find it slightly disturbing to see the instrument come apart like that, as if you were dismantling a work of art. Glad it all came back together and it was fun to see the "guts."

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

New video on my site, dismantling a 1971 Fender Precision bass.

I liked the video. I also like taking things apart. It is when I put them back together that I feel the creeps, always afraid that something might not get back in place or that I might lose screw.

I also liked the comparison of the 70's JB to the older siblings. I think I might have liked more the throaty voice of the youngest.

Now I am grabbing my bass, just for comparison and I measured four inches between the pickup poles, whatever that might mean to my sound :-)

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Enjoying your 'tear down' videos as well as the gear review. Thanks!

Noticed you use a Demeter VTBP-201 pre. I have one (in a rack with a QSC PLX 1602) and am thinking about selling it, but I have a feeling that it would end up in a "What do you regret selling the most" thread.

What is your opinion about the VTBP-201?

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Taking a bass apart is not really a big deal.

It's really just wood and screws, after all.

I do usually use an old fashioned screwdriver, though.

Peace,

wraub

p.s. I do really want that Demeter pre, however...

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Enjoying your 'tear down' videos as well as the gear review. Thanks!

Noticed you use a Demeter VTBP-201 pre. I have one (in a rack with a QSC PLX 1602) and am thinking about selling it, but I have a feeling that it would end up in a "What do you regret selling the most" thread.

What is your opinion about the VTBP-201?

Thanks very much!! I actually LOVE my Demeter and would never get rid of it. I really need to do a video with that pre, as of now, it's in a rack with a big a$$ QSC power amp and it sounds so good live!! I used to have it in a 2 space rack bag and used it for recording quite a bit and I also LOVED it that way too!!!

It's a very versatile and warm pre/DI. It would definitely end up on my regret selling list!!

I had that exact set up a few years ago. I think I ran it into one or two of 2x10's depending on the gig. Maybe a 4x10...anyway, it was an amazing rig. If I wasn't so into light weight rigs, and was gigging regularly, I think that was my best sounding "head" to date and I'd probably be using one again.

Archived