Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tierney Sutton

Dave Ferris

I heard this on the Sirius Real Jazz station on the way back from the store. I've known Tierney since she first came to LA years ago. She subbed on this little duo gig I was doing in Pasadena. I knew she was destined for good things the first time I heard her. What chick singer calls "Windows'" ?! :laugh::cool:

Her band really is a *band*. They have some pretty intricate and imaginative arrangements and reharms.

They're all fantastic, great players. I've had the pleasure and privilege of playing with Kevin , Trey and Ray through the years in varying contexts. Christian's a wonderful pianist, composer and arranger. They are very versatile not only in trad straight ahead forms of Jazz but other genres too, which is pretty obvious from listening to their stuff.

Anyway this is a pretty wild arrangement of Benson's take on "On Broadway"

[video:youtube]

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you should post that.

I just heard it this afternoon on syrius xm jazz channel.

I like jazz but am not crazy about jazz vocals.

For some reason I didn't punch out right away to another station and was drawn into their arrangement.

I hope the station keeps it on their playlist for awhile, I wouldn't mind hearing it a few more times.

I heard another interesting version of "On Broadway" recently but can't recall the artist.

It involved a cross pollination of "Killer Joe" with "On Broadway".

Kind of mixolydian gone wild, but it worked.

She has great time huh? If I had to guess, they did that without a click. She nailed the time on those extended phrases where there's nothing but space going on. Not too many *chick singers* could pull that off with such precision. Tierney's really a musicians' singer in the truest sense of the word.

Check out their rendition of the Wizard of Oz classic at Birdland in NYC.

[video:youtube]

Excellent stuff. I became aware of her when I heard a cut from her first album on the radio years ago, and thought "Whoa, who's this?" Went out and bought the CD the next day. I haven't really followed her the last few years, but she sounds fantastic in those clips, and I'm glad to know she's still doing her thing.

Ah, I love this band and their arranging style. I'm in LA frequently, I've seen them twice at the Catalina. Her pitch is crazy precise, her voice is kind of instrument-like. And the group is pretty much exactly as tight and slick live as they are in their recordings.

And of course Christian Jacob is a phenomenal player, his own trio recordings are very worth checking out.

Archived