Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Urgent advice needed: swap or stick?

Aidan

Well, the keybed issue with my NS2 (loud clicking on return of about five keys in centre octave) seems to have sorted itself overnight. Or at least, it's not happening this morning. But then again, I didn't notice it when the board came out of the box either - it only seemed to manifest later.

Unfortunately, I'm away from my studio today so can't play it to death to see if the problem recurs.

I did think, when the problem manifested itself, that it could be a key grease issue. So perhaps a night sitting horizontal has caused the grease to redistribute itself? Or maybe it's down to the temperature overnight (studio is unheated during the night)?

My worry is that this isn't a board that's just going to sit in one place - it'll be constantly in and out of its case.

If the couriers get their act together, I'm due to drive up to Leeds tomorrow (hour and a half each way) to swap the board. Obviously, I don't particularly want to do that if it's going to be fine but equally, with the sort of coin I've dropped on this board, I want things to be absolutely right.

My instinct is to go ahead with the swap despite the apparent resolution, but I'd welcome your input, guys.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would swap it out just to be on the safe side. A brand new KB should be 'right' when it comes out of the box. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Cheers guys. Andy at Production Room rang me to say the replacement has arrived at their place. JpScoey, road trip is on mate!

Cheers guys. Andy at Production Room rang me to say the replacement has arrived at their place. JpScoey, road trip is on mate!

Just got round to looking at my computer on for 1st time today Aidan & saw this thread.

I was going to echo what the other guys have said - go for the swap.

As you well know, Nord bill this as their 'flagship' keyboard & are (rightly) proud of the quality of their products.

The fact that they (& Production Room) have dealt with this so swiftly goes to prove that customer satisfaction

is a top priority, so hats off to them :thu:.

See you tomorrow buddy.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

+1 on swap.

You already have the ball in motion and the replacement is on the way. No reason to take the chance on it coming back.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

We duly took the trip up to Leeds today, where the replacement was produced, tried over and found to be absolutely A1. She now sits serenely in the studio, awaiting our adventures.

Production Room also had a Nord Piano 2 which I ran my fingers over briefly. The action seems a fraction (not much) lighter than its predecessor, so that for me, there is now no real definable difference between the NP and NS2 keybed.

Also briefly played an Electro HP. Just as the Stage 2's action seems to have evolved from the early models we saw at the music show last year, the HP I tried yesterday also seemed subtly different. It wasn't half as springy as I remember it and is in fact a tad heavier than the NS2/NP keybed.

If I could justify the expense, I would grab one of these babies in a heartbeat as the ultimate scratch/rehearsal board. But as I only have the money for one Nord right now, I'm very happy with my choice. Tomorrow, the fun begins by customising the piano library, then taking a look at the sample library.

We duly took the trip up to Leeds today, where the replacement was produced, tried over and found to be absolutely A1. She now sits serenely in the studio, awaiting our adventures.

Aidan, it's great that you were able to quickly make that swap. Congrats on your latest acquisition which is hopefully a keeper. :laugh::thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived