Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robert Glasper

zephonic

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did. The performance was solid. The new record is nice.

The only track I've heard on the radio is "Ah Yeah" featuring Musiq Soulchild and Chrisette Michelle.

It's a d*mn shame that Glasper doesn't get more airplay on "black radio". His music could easily replace the crop of rhythm and bullsh8t in rotation. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I assume you're talking about this.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIXKbUCC-bU

(Note: this video could get taken down, sorry if it does. You may be able to find it on CBS.com)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I hate to say this but the show sucked. Right away I was disappointed that the drummer wasn't Chris Dave. The first few songs were limp -- they didn't go anywhere. At one point someone shouted "Kick it up a notch!" Glasper bristled but the shouter was right. Casey Benjamin's vocoder shit is played out and annoying, and it's on every song. The guests -- Ledisi, Bilal, Lupe Fiasco, Meshell Ndegeocello -- didn't bring much focus. Bilal forgot the words to the song he sang on; his singing leaves a lot to be desired anyway. Glasper's piano sounded lousy and his Rhodes was muddy. It was a lazy, unengaging set. The applause was tepid and there was a lot of audience chatter. My lady friend and I left after Meshell's song, but I would've left earlier if she hadn't wanted to see Meshell. I dig Glasper in full-on jazz mode, but the Experiment live is a bore.

I hate to say this but the show sucked. I dig Glasper in full-on jazz mode, but the Experiment live is a bore.

IMO, Glasper's combination of Jazz and Hip-Hop is still a work in progress. His live shows could be tighter. Regardless, I think the music will be acquired taste. But, I definitely appreciate his effort and hope that he stays the course. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm now opposed to the combination of the two musics. It rarely works well, if ever. It definitely didn't work last night. In fact, last night had little to do with jazz. Do one or the other or don't do at all.

I'm now opposed to the combination of the two musics. It rarely works well, if ever. It definitely didn't work last night. In fact, last night had little to do with jazz. Do one or the other or don't do at all.

If the band had played Herbie's "Butterfly" with that J. Dilla/glitch thing Chris Dave has pioneered, you might feel differently. ;):cool:

PD

After I left, I saw someone tweet that they played "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I've heard the recorded version and it's a snooze. I'm also not sure what the point of covering Nirvana is on an album called Black Radio, not to mention the fact that it's the last song. Way to undermine the vision.

After I left, I saw someone tweet that they played "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I've heard the recorded version and it's a snooze. I'm also not sure what the point of covering Nirvana is on an album called Black Radio, not to mention the fact that it's the last song. Way to undermine the vision.

Youtube the live version of it. The audience seems to dig it.

IMO, reinterpreting tunes from any genre/style is the missing element in Jazz today.

In order to engage and/or attract a larger audience, many Jazz musos would be well served to reharm familiar tunes.

It really helps to understand what Glasper is trying to do in combining elements of the music he digs (Jazz, Hip-Hop, Gospel, Rock) and reconnecting it to black music. :cool:

PD

IMO, reinterpreting tunes from any genre/style is the missing element in Jazz today.

In order to engage and/or attract a larger audience, many Jazz musos would be well served to reharm familiar tunes.

It really helps to understand what Glasper is trying to do in combining elements of the music he digs (Jazz, Hip-Hop, Gospel, Rock) and reconnecting it to black music. :cool:

I don't think it's missing at all. In fact, I think the alternative rock songbook has been ransacked regularly over the past decade, to the point of which covering Nirvana, Radiohead, Bjork, etc. has gotten stale and cliche. There are other musical mines to well.

What's the connection between "Teen Spirit" and black music? There's nothing interesting about the cover. There's nothing foward-looking about using a vocoder on the vocals or a snare sound that's pitched to resemble a drum machine. I'm not hearing any daring creativity.

What's the connection between "Teen Spirit" and black music? There's nothing interesting about the cover. There's nothing foward-looking about using a vocoder on the vocals or a snare sound that's pitched to resemble a drum machine. I'm not hearing any daring creativity.

Of course, I cannot speak for Glasper's choices but as a musician I undertand what he's trying to do from an artistic perspective. :cool:

PD

I had high hopes for this project, but based on the clip and D-Bon's review they've been dialed down a bit. Blending jazz and hip-hop is tough - lots of incompatibilities between the musical (and overall) cultures. There are some shared and compatible elements however, and if Glasper pays attention to the feedback this record gets I trust him to make it work better next time around.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Blending jazz and hip-hop is tough - lots of incompatibilities between the musical (and overall) cultures. There are some shared and compatible elements however, and if Glasper pays attention to the feedback this record gets I trust him to make it work better next time around.

I honestly want to dislike it but I found myself digging the music. Still not convinced enough to buy the record.

http://www.tjjazzpiano.com (transcriptions, lessons, blog)

I think a lot of the time the problem is catering to the audience at these kind of gigs. Few people seem to like jazz, most like hip hop, dance and some heavy guitar thing..

Sometimes they have a guy doing the mixing who employs a DJ "as loud as possible" mentality, For instance I'd heard good things with Bilal before I saw him but it was just a mess in reality... nice bloke though... and his band were pretty good players I think ... just it sounded like a mess... but saying that, I think people got off on the energy of the music.

After seeing Glasper in his own setting and with Roy Ayers on youtube I think the fusion of hip hop and jazz works pretty well... not like its entirely new of course... Roy Ayers, Cobham, and numerous others were doing their thing 40 years ago (doesn't that sound weird!)... just that Glasper is adding the nice broken beat/glitch/tempo change thing into the mix.

Archived