Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brian May, if I may

LeftyBlues

Haven't listened to "Sheer Heart Attack" in a long time, shoved that puppy in the dash for the commute and blew the windows out via Brighton Rock. If you've never listened to this song I highly recommend it, Brian just scorches the earth with his rhythm, leadss and PERCUSSIVe effects. Just blows my mind what some folks can do with six strings and encourages me to keep playing.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just blows my mind what some folks can do with six strings and encourages me to keep playing.

Absolutely! :thu: His creativeness with the guitar in the studio is just astounding. The last minute of this vid is a great example:

[video:youtube]

Pure genius! :rawk:

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

All the members of Queen were sooo ridiculously talented, and their songwriting and arranging chops were fantastic- even in their own day, let alone compared to most of what passes for popular music nowadays...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Back when I was a teenager (early 1700's) I had the album and my Mom loved Freddie's singing. Plus, how cool is it that Brian and his dad took the Burns apart and tweaked the p/ups and all? Just great stuff anyway you look at it.

Plus, how cool is it that Brian and his dad took the Burns apart and tweaked the p/ups and all? Just great stuff anyway you look at it.

About as cool as cool gets! :cool:

Back when I was a teenager (early 1700's) I had the album and my Mom loved Freddie's singing. Plus, how cool is it that Brian and his dad took the Burns apart and tweaked the p/ups and all? Just great stuff anyway you look at it.

are you referring to THE guitar that his father and he built from the old oak mantlepiece? with three Burns tri-sonic single coils, motor cycle kickstand parts for a trem and a knitting needle for the trem bar. they even made their own knobs on a lathe and constructed the roller bridge out of aluminum.

the neck pocket goes all the way back to the bridge..deepest bolt on ever.

Brian May is a sonofabitch!

Everything he plays sounds so deceptively SIMPLE, yet when you TRY to do the same, you wind up wanting to take a HAMMER to your fingers!

Sonofabitch!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I've been a huge Queen fan since I was about 10 years old. Brian May was probably my first guitar hero.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

He's got a VERY distinctive, personal tone and vibrato.

I've long been quite impressed with his playing on their huge neo-rockabilly hit, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"- quite a departure from what he usually did, yet very well done in that style and still somehow sounding like May and Queen.

Oh- and he managed to get his Doctorate in Astrophysics, as well!

____ [video:youtube]

Caev, thanks for that clip!! DAAAAAAAMN. I think tonight I'll put on my long flowing white satin outfit, fire up the Peavey and annoy the crap out of my neighbors. It's Friday after all. Daaaaaamn!

I love doing that sort of thing- layered, 'manually harmonized' delay repeats- with trails of long echoes. Lots of fun, great sound!

I love doing that sort of thing- layered, 'manually harmonized' delay repeats- with trails of long echoes. Lots of fun, great sound!

I have a delay pedal - one - a Boss unit. Do you (and Brian!) use several in series / parallel or something? I dabbled with a Boss looping pedal, too daggon confusing so I traded it. Maybe this stuff is over my poor old p-nut brain I dunno but I love the sound.

I have a delay pedal - one - a Boss unit. Do you (and Brian!) use several in series / parallel or something? I dabbled with a Boss looping pedal, too daggon confusing so I traded it. Maybe this stuff is over my poor old p-nut brain I dunno but I love the sound.

Currently, I only have my DigiTech GNX4 for delays and echoes. But it has fairly long delay-time available on-tap (2.0 seconds), and a choice of faux-analog, "Spread"-effect, and straight-up digital-delay flavors.

I know better than to connect the GNX4 to the input OR effects-loop of a tube-amp- the tone and feel of both the GNX4 and the tube-amp will be compromised- so it always goes direct to a PA or headphones. That being the case, I'd love to get a really good analog delay pedal that will play nice with a real guitar amp...

Brian may is just awesome, and awe-inspiring.

Also, pretty sure that he and John Deacon are two of the smartest guys in popular music. Just really, really smart.

I saw Queen live 3 times, and always came away impressed.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Brian may is just awesome, and awe-inspiring.

Also, pretty sure that he and John Deacon are two of the smartest guys in popular music. Just really, really smart.

I saw Queen live 3 times, and always came away impressed.

Peace,

wraub

LOVE his bass lines...

Yep. I teach at a children's music program and right now we are working on 'We Will Rock You'. I'm trying to pass on the legacy to the younger generation and they love it. We haven't quite made it to the epic guitar outro, but that'll have to wait a few years.
David, Community Leader, www.sharemyguitar.com

Archived