Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strange PC3x/Triton/FC7 problem

Bucktunes

Okay, this one has me baffled...At church I use my PC3x and my Triton (classic) 76 MIDI'd together, and use a Yamaha FC7 plugged into the Triton to control its volume as a second sound layer. Here's the problem...

Sometimes stepping on the pedal causes a static discharge that I can hear in the sound system, but more alarmingly causes my PC3x to reboot itself! :mad: Needless to say, this was maddening the first time it happened in the middle of a Mass, but it's annoying even when I'm somewhat ready for it. It's worth pointing out that the floor is carpeted, it mostly happens in the winter when the air is dryer, and it even depends what shoes I'm wearing. If I play shoeless (which I've actually done a few times :laugh: ) I don't have the problem. Another strange solution is to disconnect the MIDI cable between the keyboards. I still hear the static, but it doesn't affect the PC3x.

I have everything plugged into grounded outlets, and I never had the problem when I used the Yamaha S90 before I got the PC3x. Anybody have any explanations/solutions? I suppose I could always play shoeless until the weather gets more humid... :laugh:

><>

Steve

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for replying, Erik. I suppose I can hook up my M-Audio volume pedal to the PC3x and control the Triton via a setup, but I really like the FC7. It's so solid and responds so predictably... :(. Also, it doesn't explain why the PC3x is so hyper-sensitive to static discharge. I'm wondering if using a power conditioner might alleviate the problem?

><>

Steve

Bump...Nobody else has seen or heard of this problem? Dave Weiser, are you out there?
If you want a reply from him, why don't you email him directly? He posts his email address on here all the time. Or even better, contact Kurzweil support, which he'd probably suggest you do anyway.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If there is that much static electricity, sooner or later, damage will be done, perhaps to the Triton (since the pedal is plugged into it), perhaps even to the PC3.

It has been dry enough here to get some jolts when moving across a carpeted room, then touching the metal case of the keyboard. First thing needed is to reduce the amount of static generated. Since removing shoes helps, maybe a different pair of shoes with different construction would not generate as much static electricity?

When working on electronics, I normally use a grounding device connected to my wrist (it is a band around the wrist, with a 1 megohm resistor to a wire, and the other end of the wire is connected to ground. Some of these are commercially made (I made mine with a test lead, resistor, ground clip, and using a metal watch band).

Another thing - just because the equpment is plugged in with a 3-wire plug does NOT mean that the building wiring is correct. Especially in an older building - someone may have replaced an old two-wire AC receptacle with a 3-wire (you can't buy the old 2-wire ones any more, so this does get done - and the ground terminal goes nowhere. The wiring inside the box (you will need an electrician to legally test this - you can work on your own stuff, but not legally anyone else's) may be incorrect. Some of the older Kurzweils only had a 2-wire plug (PC2 and PC2X), but the PC3 does have 3-wire plug.

Could even be a faulty ground connection in the MIDI cable (not as likely since MIDI itself is working).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

If you want a reply from him, why don't you email him directly? He posts his email address on here all the time. Or even better, contact Kurzweil support, which he'd probably suggest you do anyway.

Actually, I was kind of half kidding, but I suppose that would be my next step if I didn't get a definitive answer here. So far the Corner has never let me down! :cool:

Thanks for the advice, Moody. I guess it goes without saying that I need to reduce the amount of static generated. How about putting an anti-static mat underneath my keyboard rig? Also, I've noticed my running shoes don't generate static. I could get a black pair like them that looks more dressy. Playing without shoes got a few chuckles from the choir Sunday. I could just do that, and let people wonder if I'm making some sort of symbolic statement! :laugh:

><>

Steve

There are anti-static floor mats available. Examples:

http://www.americanfloormats.com/static-dissipative-mats-esd-mats-conductive-mats/

Make a choice of the mat, be sure to get the grounding strap so that the mat can be grounded through the power system. This really should be bought by the church - it could prevent damage to the electronic equipment.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived