Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos Piano Patch

jimw

I've been using the KRONOS German Grand patch, but noticed it doesn't quite cut through the mix as well as my Alesis QS 8.1 did. I like the German Grand piano sound, it just seems to blend in too well with the rest of the band.

Just wondering what patch everyone else is using, or if they've tweaked the sound a little. I noticed a German D Bright, under the piano types, but it doesn't appear that it's used on any of the factory pre-set sounds. I'm thinking about trying it on our next gig, or just adding some upper-mids and a little less reverb on the German grand. The other alternative is the Japanese grand, but I don't think it sounds as good.

Any other Kronos users experienced this? :wave:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All kidding aside, jimw, I've used a Kronos 88 since October, and have noticed what you described. I've tended to use the Japanese Grand variations for brighter, 'cut through' situations, and the German Grand for ballads, and more 'open' up tempo material. I like the Kronos Japanese Grands, but I've been a Yamaha and Kawai fan for years - both their acoustic and digital pianos. (Yes, I have a P50m; heck, still have a TX-1P from 1987).

That said, the Kronos Forum thread link posted by Busch does intrigue me. I'd start there for ideas.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Search the Kronos forum. There's a thread about this with ideas.

Thanks Busch.

I actually did see that thread, but I thought I'd see what the Keyboard Forumites were using, since I've always valued the opinions and ideas here...

...at least most of them. :)

I've tended to use the Japanese Grand variations for brighter, 'cut through' situations, and the German Grand for ballads, and more 'open' up tempo material.

Thanks Allan...

I did notice the the Japanese Grand was better at cutting through. I may put it and the German Bright side-by-side in my set list for a gig comparison.

Have you looked at the libraries available? There is an Austrian Piano EXS available for purchase. This is a sampled Bosendorfer Grand Imperial, which is the same kind of piano that's sampled in the Alesis, only that the Kronos version is about 800 times larger in data size :) So, if you want the Bosendorfer-character this is probably the way to go - can be yours for only $249! ;)

https://www.korg.com/kronossoundlibraries

There seems to be demo version you can download, if you want to try it.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

this is a heavily discussed topic on the Korg forum.

There are some valid ideas there to beef up the german grand

why don't you add eq, parametric , play with the curve until you get it to cut thru. Plus there are FX/exciter ideas to try.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived