Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bringing midi pedal board on airliner ?

JohnH

Hey guys I think I need to bring my Yamaha MFC- 10 on as carry on tomorrow on Southwest. Any experiences bringing stuff like this on an airplane? Is it ok to carry it on ? Don't have a case for it yet. Unfortunately our backline keyboard supplied is not the required one. Rats! I bring Motif Xs Racks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
get something - a backpack, a padded duffel bag, ANYTHING other than just carrying it. Can you carry it on? Sure - just make sure you run it through the x-ray machine in its own bin. Should you carry it on unprotected? C'mon man!
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, that's odd, but as long as the action is not worn out on the XV, it's a great, capable MIDI controller. One thing to be aware of - IIRC the MIDI OUT is controlled by a switch that selects between the standard MIDI OUT and the old serial type out. Make sure it's set to MIDI before you power it up.

It will have to go through the xray machine but you will have no other problems with TSA. They may ask you what it is but unless you've rubbed it with explosives they won't ultimately have a problem with it. If it doesn't have a hard drive, it technically does not need to be removed from the bag to be x-rayed seperately, but that's no guarantee with TSA.

If it's in your checked bags (which fly for FREE on southwest), I would make sure it's in the middle with clothes around it. I've just seen too many bags bounce off the tarmac.

You probably want a bag around it if you carry it on but you could carry it. I've seen stranger things carried on an airplane.

--My real job is airline pilot--

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Yeah, I've flown my Electro Rack more miles than I can recall. I get something swabbed about 1 out of every 3 times I go through security since it is a 'different' thing. Either my Electro or the case that I carry it in (which contains cables and pedals) gets the attention. No big deal, takes a minute, and you're on your way. Just make sure it's protected in the bag - wrap it in a pair of jeans at the VERY least.

Kanker thank u at soundcheck now , sure enough no midi until turned power off , switched it and power back on , u just saved me of of trouble! Thanks also Iconoclast, got secondary bag inspection , but passed through fine at Lax.
Glad to be of service!

(Thanks for the link Joe)

Archived