Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cp-1 it will stand the test of time

Michiel

I Don't post often but now I've played the cp-1 and want to share my feelings/thoughts

Piano: very solid, not an abundance of overtones like you hear on so many other boards and giga-libraries, but a very musical tone.

Rhodes with chorus ... so nice, real musical vibe to it.

A very musical, pleasing experience. I feel like I'm playing a luxurious classic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry, I have to disagree. This product line (cp-1,5,50) are not selling nearly as well as the previous cp-300 model did. There are many reasons for this: price point (on the cp-1) non-intuitive interface, weight (cp-1), lack of graded action, (cp-1,5) I see very few top backline companies stocking these units. I agree that they sound nice, but when you're talking stage-piano, sound is only part of the equation...without knowing, I have a hunch that the new cp line was designed by sound engineers with a minimum input from actual players.

sorry, I have to disagree. This product line (cp-1,5,50) are not selling nearly as well as the previous cp-300 model did.

What does this have to do with the OP's comments? Sales don't necessarily dictate whether or not something becomes a classic. :idea:

I agree that they sound nice, but when you're talking stage-piano, sound is only part of the equation...

Yes, but I suggest it's the biggest part...by far.

If an instrument sounds good to my ears and feels good under my fingers, anything else about it that may not be ideal about it is usually pretty easy for me to work around, whether it's an interface that's not immediately intuitive to me or a feature or two that it doesn't have. My favorite example is a Minimoog - no velocity, no presets, short keybed, no MIDI....heck, you can't even play more than one note at a time! But oh man, what a sound....

I have a CP-5. I absolutely love the sound and feel of the thing - more than any stage piano I've ever had in my rig. While the interface is definitely somewhat unconventional, I find I'm able to move around on it pretty well without having had to read the the manual.

dB

If it sounds great and feels great, than you're golden. I just don't think this instrument will achieve classic status...you could argue that the p-200 has already become a classic instrument. Instruments that sell in high volumes (i.e. DX7) generally achieve classic status...with certain notable exceptions. (ie CS-80, etc.)

Haha, Interesting comments

All I was trying to communicate was that it spoke to me in a way few instruments did.

I always look for specifications, reviews etc etc... Spend a lot of time auditioning via internet and playing in stores. But sometimes I realise in the end It really only is about being able to make music. This was one of those moments I was able to.

Classic status among who ? rock players ? What do they know about playing the piano?

Yeah Dave Horne asked if I'd post one in his memory... :D I told him sure, I'm hopefully ok for a few passes a year... :)

Haha, Interesting comments

All I was trying to communicate was that it spoke to me in a way few instruments did.

I always look for specifications, reviews etc etc... Spend a lot of time auditioning via internet and playing in stores. But sometimes I realise in the end It really only is about being able to make music. This was one of those moments I was able to.

The CP1 is a wonderful instrument. It's just too bad the price point is out of reach for most.

I agree, the CP1 is probably the nicest playing and sounding portable DP around. The times I've played it I felt the same way as you.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

NY Steinway D

Yamaha  AvantGrand N3X, P-515

I just don't think this instrument will achieve classic status...you could argue that the p-200 has already become a classic instrument. Instruments that sell in high volumes (i.e. DX7) generally achieve classic status...with certain notable exceptions. (ie CS-80, etc.)

I don't know what you define at 'Classic' status. But the only way to know is to wait 20 years and find out.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Interesting that Jazz stopped sounding good the minute that it ceased being music that you played to get laid, and people started applying the 'art' label to it.

Wrong for 2 reasons:

1) That supposes that the only reason people used to play Jazz was to get laid. I'm sure it was one of the reasons. But not the only one. You do a huge disservice to African American Hertiage by demeaning their incredible artform as something people just played to get laid.

2) People DO still get laid playing jazz. :cool:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The CP1 is kind of an odd duck. It has far fewer features than it's half priced brother the CP5.

And then Yamaha doesn't publicize it at all compared to it's other digital piano offerings.

And then what are you supposed to call it? The CP1 or the CP-1?

(I think the answer is the CP1 - which means that even the OP got it wrong in the subject of the thread.)

Keyboards that stand the test of time are capable of doing things that no other keyboards can pull off. The CP1 will stand the test of time until something better comes along.

Which inevitably happens in the case of digital pianos.

Wow, talk about offensive, and OT. But the sad truth is my jazz group doesn't do much "real" jazz at gigs, and our weekly rehearsals are far more soulful and adventurous (and a slightly larger line-up when it comes to brass and wind players) but DEFINITELY not pretentious/arty. We have women in the group. No one is there to get laid. And that includes the audience. I'm at a loss for words.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Wow, talk about offensive, and OT. But the sad truth is my jazz group doesn't do much "real" jazz at gigs, and our weekly rehearsals are far more soulful and adventurous (and a slightly larger line-up when it comes to brass and wind players) but DEFINITELY not pretentious/arty. We have women in the group. No one is there to get laid. And that includes the audience. I'm at a loss for words.

Maybe there's nothing sexy about the music you play, but let's not get all puritanical here... :rolleyes:

I'm not here to yah/nay the CP1/5/50 sounds. Every time I went and tried it, I gave up after a few minutes. Is it so difficult to create an interface that the main sounds can be accessed without a manual?

Also, it appears from my reading that the pianos are heavier but the action is lighter. How can this be good?

As far as Jazz...it lives in the hearts of people who play it and listen to it. It was never for everyone. I won't put down Billy Joel if you stop dissing Billy Evans.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

1) That supposes that the only reason people used to play Jazz was to get laid. I'm sure it was one of the reasons. But not the only one. You do a huge disservice to African American Hertiage by demeaning their incredible artform as something people just played to get laid.

way to ruin what was a fun, light-hearted joke about jazzers vs rockers. BTW, I'm sure the entire African-American community thanks you for speaking out on their behalf. Nice.

Yep, you demean music that was developed primarily in whorehouses and on river boats......errrr......
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Wow, another thread derailed at the mere mention of the word, Jazz.

Jazz has such power that getting you laid is only a fraction of its capabilities!!

Ahhhhh . . . . the power of being a jazz musician!! Bwaaaa Haaaa haaaaa!!

Back to point. I loved the CP1 when I played it. Do I really care about a wonky interface on a Stage Piano? Not so much. I want a stage piano to be the most credible reproduction of an AP as technology and budget will allow. The CP1 certainly does that well (although I didn't buy one because it was too heavy and too expensive for my needs).

I think it's still the best portable DP out there, could it be a classic? Why not? We'll know in 20 years!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Is it so difficult to create an interface that the main sounds can be accessed without a manual?

Both dB and I have had no problem with this. Should we provide you with our Mensa certificates? Perhaps it's because we have the same initials?

You do a huge disservice to African American Hertiage by demeaning their incredible artform as something people just played to get laid.
Way to ruin what was a light-hearted joke about rockers vs jazzers. Btw, unless the entire African American community elected you as their representative, you kinda come across as racist. And by that I mean much of the racism in America towards African Americans was, and still is rooted in puritan views on sexuality. In fact, most whites shunned jazz (during the late 19th - early 20th century) because of it's overtly sexual rhythms and overtones...traits dismissed as "African" by the racist majority at the time. By claiming that my linkage of sexuality to Jazz somehow is a slight against African American culture, you are in fact perpetuating a view which argues that any culture not conforming to Puritan values is shameful. Shame on you. It's been over 100 years, but I guess some thing still never change...

Wow, talk about offensive, and OT. We have women in the group. No one is there to get laid.
Sorry, I didin't realize that when you say 'women in the group' that you're in fact speaking on behalf of all of the sexual preferences of the women in your ensemble. I didin't know that they had musicians in the Taliban. Cool! Trust me when I say that the women in your group want to get laid just as bad as anyone. Next time you meet at 'band-camp' play something 'sexy'...don't think of what you learned at Berklee, or what your "chord-scale" book tells you you should be playing... think with your crotch and your notes will flow like honey. You might even get some of 'the women' to notice...or 'men' depending on which way you swing.

Pretty much every bit of musical form spawned in the 20th century was f*** music. There is absolutely nothing offensive about that at all, except to those who are offended by the idea of having sex for purposes other than procreation. :freak:

Jazz? Shit. Jazz was developed by a bunch of stoners (yeah, didn't you know jazz and smoking pot went hand in hand) who wanted to see ladies get up and shake their booty on the dance floor, and hopefully take those ladies home with them when the show was over.

Just because the average jazz audience these days looks more like either a beatnik convention or the spillover from the corporate-sponsored motivational seminar that just let out of the nearby hotel conference room doesn't mean the music is any less about getting some hottie grinding to your groove and then taking her back to that hotel afterward and promptly forgetting she ever existed the next morning... :D

Pffft. And people say I don't get jazz... :freak::laugh:

Is it so difficult to create an interface that the main sounds can be accessed without a manual?

Both dB and I have had no problem with this. Should we provide you with our Mensa certificates? Perhaps it's because we have the same initials?

I must of been high. (I did notice that Yamaha made a template to guide you though the numerous buttons.) I never liked the interface from the Motif either, which I owned for one week. (Sold Triton for Motif; bought Triton Extreme a week later.) Even my N2 could have a better interface but that doesn't take away my love that great instrument.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Archived