Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

great tracks with a real blooper?

So we nailed the tune live with vox to 2 mics, and got one of those magic tingly things you can't really count on doing again- plus for various reasons we can't really track anything for another six months or so. But, there's that one blooper... a high note in the vibes that's a half step off! (and all we got is vibes, guitar, vox) Loud and clear, folks. It's impossible to ignore, even for the totally uninitiated. But it's just one instant in a 4:30 song, and doesn't bollox the rhythm or flow or anything. The song's about struggling, so maybe it even makes sense? Now I'm grasping... I am sure I'd rather have a cookin' magic take with a single obvious mistake than one of the several takes we have that are "flawless" but really kinda flat. I just wish we hadn't made that one little mistake... Conceivably, since the vibes are on their own track and the bleed is pretty quiet, it could be fixed in the computer or something (in mastering, that would be, this is on 2 tracks of analog tape now), but I'm not sure I really want to do that... So tell me about the killer tracks you love that have and obvious blooper and who really gives a fuck about that?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the fade out of "Me Wise Magic", from Van Halen's 'Best Of' CD, Alex and Eddie get completely off time from each other, like someone walked into the studio and walked out with '1'. On the ride out of "It's Alright For You", from the Police's 'Regatta De Blanc', Stewart Copeland drops one of his sticks, ands has to keep the hat and snare going with the other while he reaches for another stick.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]you could overdub a few vibe notes on it to sound like a strange jazz chord, or mute it out and replace. it shouldn't be too tough if you have a seperate track. it would be fun to hear the "screw-up" you're talking about. Let it Be has a wrong chord on paul's piano. i think it's a Bm intead of Am.[/b][/quote]This is more like if he hit a Bflat minor... :eek: I never noticed that on Let it Be. As for Copeland, that kinda thing is what let's you know you've got a really killer drummer on board! There's tons of little errors on Jimi records, hell that guy sounds great out-of-tune somehow... Maybe we will just replace it... I could have said that bum note Peter Albin played on Ball and Chain live at the Fillmore but they replaced it...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

The sax solo in "Who Can It Be Now" by Men at Work has what sounds like , to me, an unintended squeak that is really incongruous with the rest of the solo. It might have been intentional, but the rest of the solo is totally straight with no growl or anything, so at best, I think it was a poor choice if not an outright flub.

"For instance" is not proof.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [QB]On the fade out of "Me Wise Magic", from Van Halen's 'Best Of' CD, Alex and Eddie get completely off time from each other, like someone walked into the studio and walked out with '1'. QB][/quote]I think it's intentional. Al playing straight 4/4 (which fairly sums up his skills) and ed's off in 6/4. Interesting idea, but probably one that I would've dropped after hearing it because I think most people think it's a mistake just as you do. Worse though is Al coming in almost an 1/8 note early at the beginning of the second verse. Like nails on a chalkboard... Anyway, may favorite mistake in recorded music is on the Schindler's List soundtrack. Littered throughout the recording are coughs, rustles, and even a few music stand bangs. With over 150 people in that session, you're bound to have some ambient noise, but it was always much more than I'd ever heard on other recordings. I think people were just antsy in those sessions. And it won an Oscar for best score... It just goes to teach me that vibe is more important than performance. Granted, having a good performance is part of creating a good vibe, but the inevitable mistake is ok and can actually add to a feel.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Yeah, the Van Halen thing was intentional.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]the allman bros left the mistake in on One Way Out - live of course. the bass player came in a measure too early after dickie's solo. it's chaos at its best[/b][/quote]I was going to mention that one. I don't think he comes in a measure early, though - I think he comes in a beat early. Could be wrong, though. Dylan flubs a line in "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" off the album "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan." He says, "What did you meet, my blue eyed son." The next line, he says "Who did you meet.." and chuckles a little bit as he says "who." I always interpreted that chuckle as him acknowledging the error. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two. At the final moment of a sprawling album, Bruford does a long tom fill, and clangs a stick on the rim of a tom. Oops. In the Stones' "Monkey Man," Charlie Watts switches from the ride cymbal to the high hat too soon. I think so, anyway.

Destiny's Child covered the Bee Gee's song "Emotion" but they sing the word every time as "Emotions", which, to me, completely changes the meaning. The high concept of the lyrics is morphed into just another yearning love tune. I'm reading what I just wrote...OK, I'm shutting the computer off and going to bed. It's time.

"For instance" is not proof.

[quote]Originally posted by Duhduh: [b]Yeah, the Van Halen thing was intentional.[/b][/quote]Sorry...not buying it. Why go through the whole tune, then fuck round like that? Alex WORKS to get back to where Ed is...you can almost HEAR him thinking about it. Fat Mike even lays out for a few bars until they figure it out. Not buying it at all. Clearly sounds like someone is 'somewhwere else' mentally. ••••• Here's another: The acoustic version of "Revolution". One of the two sings the latter half of the word 'constitution' while the other sings 'revolution'. Comes out as "rev-ol-TEW-shun".
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: [b]So we nailed the tune live with vox to 2 mics, and got one of those magic tingly things you can't really count on doing again- plus for various reasons we can't really track anything for another six months or so. But, there's that one blooper... a high note in the vibes that's a half step off! (and all we got is vibes, guitar, vox) Loud and clear, folks. It's impossible to ignore, even for the totally uninitiated. But it's just one instant in a 4:30 song, and doesn't bollox the rhythm or flow or anything. The song's about struggling, so maybe it even makes sense? Now I'm grasping... I am sure I'd rather have a cookin' magic take with a single obvious mistake than one of the several takes we have that are "flawless" but really kinda flat. I just wish we hadn't made that one little mistake... Conceivably, since the vibes are on their own track and the bleed is pretty quiet, it could be fixed in the computer or something (in mastering, that would be, this is on 2 tracks of analog tape now), but I'm not sure I really want to do that... So tell me about the killer tracks you love that have and obvious blooper and who really gives a fuck about that?[/b][/quote]Yeah, there are things you can do to "fix" the note, but maybe the blemish is really a beauty-mark. Let's hear it!!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Yes I'm hip to the 'One Way Out' live flub by Mr. Oakley - I've had a mental visual of what the stage must've looked like till the song sync'd back up for years! They were cool about it though it sounds like - they didn't give him a bass solo in other words ! But what's the Funk49 thing ? Funny how you can get used to a mistake and it becomes part of the public record... Sounds fine to me - where is it ? Curious minds want to know ! kylen

One of Eric Clapton's most lauded performances is the live track of "Crossroads" from Cream's [b]Wheels of Fire[/b] release. Clapton himself is on record as pointing out that during his solo he got the beat turned around & (due to the stage volume) didn't perceive this 'til much later. Many guitarists spend a lot of time learning this solo in all it's details. :D Then there's reggae music---an entire style build on the Jasmaican drummers's misperception of which drum was playing the downbeat on those cheap 45s they learned from!

[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Cereal: [qb]Dylan flubs a line in "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" off the album "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan." He says, "What did you meet, my blue eyed son." The next line, he says "Who did you meet.." and chuckles a little bit as he says "who." I always interpreted that chuckle as him acknowledging the error. [/b][/quote]With all the lyrics in Dylan's tunes it's a wonder he [i]ever[/i] gets them right---& sometimes he doesn't! It's not a great track itself but on the Isle of Wight performance of "Like a Rolling Stone" he sings the same line three times in a row! The Beatles were often too busy in their early days to to correct every flaw (even under the hand of taskmaster George Martin); several of their records have Mc[i]Corney[/i] ;) & Lennon singing different words simultaneously & they also sometimes feature questionable harmonies. Then there's the (in)famous bass track that Lennon laid down for "The Long Rewinding ;) Road"---did they clean that up on the resent reissue?

I love mistakes on record ~ mistakes that I might not notice the first few listens. They make the track become human ~ especially if the energy is there. Speaking of Beatles, I was going to mention the one big mistake of theirs I love. [b]"Please Please Me"[/b] where McCartney and Lennon double the last verse, Lennon sings the wrong words (a whole line) but comes back for the chorus and actually slightly [i]laughs[/i]. Magic. I wouldn't change a word. I tend to think that McCartney was much better at singing doubles than Lennon was. McCartney was more worried about musical perfection, but also had more experience following Lennon on stage live. Lennon just let it rip. But it is Lennon's flub (and the fast paced sessions they had) that inspire me to not sweat the little mistakes ~ if the rest of the take is excellent. These days though thanks/curses to ProTools and Digital Multitrack editing, you can fix those little flubs. I'm not so sure that is a good idea. Look at some of the stale-ness of "produced" tracks and the craving we all have for unplugged sessions.
the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

Much of the early Zep stuff has mistakes littered everywhere... especially little flubs on the solo's... Jimmy decided to leave it all in... the vibe was more important than "perfection" I guess. There's also the famous "mistake" where you can hear the airplane noise in the background... they recorded the acoustic outdoors and all of a sudden... wrrrrrrrrr... Again, they left it in as is... cool! Hendrix has a cool live version of "Like a Rolling Stone" where he acknowledges his mistake... "Yeah, I know I missed a verse"... again, it's cool that he's showing the "human" side... and the rest of the song is great! guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by Mike Henderson: [b] [quote]Originally posted by offramp: [QB]On the fade out of "Me Wise Magic", from Van Halen's 'Best Of' CD, Alex and Eddie get completely off time from each other, like someone walked into the studio and walked out with '1'. QB][/quote]I think it's intentional. Al playing straight 4/4 (which fairly sums up his skills) and ed's off in 6/4. Interesting idea, but probably one that I would've dropped after hearing it because I think most people think it's a mistake just as you do. Worse though is Al coming in almost an 1/8 note early at the beginning of the second verse. Like nails on a chalkboard... Anyway, may favorite mistake in recorded music is on the Schindler's List soundtrack. Littered throughout the recording are coughs, rustles, and even a few music stand bangs. With over 150 people in that session, you're bound to have some ambient noise, but it was always much more than I'd ever heard on other recordings. I think people were just antsy in those sessions. And it won an Oscar for best score... It just goes to teach me that vibe is more important than performance. Granted, having a good performance is part of creating a good vibe, but the inevitable mistake is ok and can actually add to a feel.[/b][/quote]You saying Al's limited?Somebody around here is handing out clues,you need to reach out and grab one.How many DIAMOND records have you sold? He's done more before he was popular,than you'll do in a life time...you...you..sorry I don't know what happen,lost it a little.We all can't be Billy Cobham now can we?
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

[quote]Originally posted by JesusChrysler: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Mike Henderson: [b] [quote]Originally posted by offramp: [QB]On the fade out of "Me Wise Magic", from Van Halen's 'Best Of' CD, Alex and Eddie get completely off time from each other, like someone walked into the studio and walked out with '1'. QB][/quote]I think it's intentional. Al playing straight 4/4 (which fairly sums up his skills) and ed's off in 6/4. Interesting idea, but probably one that I would've dropped after hearing it because I think most people think it's a mistake just as you do. Worse though is Al coming in almost an 1/8 note early at the beginning of the second verse. Like nails on a chalkboard... Anyway, may favorite mistake in recorded music is on the Schindler's List soundtrack. Littered throughout the recording are coughs, rustles, and even a few music stand bangs. With over 150 people in that session, you're bound to have some ambient noise, but it was always much more than I'd ever heard on other recordings. I think people were just antsy in those sessions. And it won an Oscar for best score... It just goes to teach me that vibe is more important than performance. Granted, having a good performance is part of creating a good vibe, but the inevitable mistake is ok and can actually add to a feel.[/b][/quote]You saying Al's limited?Somebody around here is handing out clues,you need to reach out and grab one.How many DIAMOND records have you sold? He's done more before he was popular,than you'll do in a life time...you...you..sorry I don't know what happen,lost it a little.We all can't be Billy Cobham now can we?[/b][/quote]Ouch. Ok, so following that logic, if I want to criticize the president, I must be a president first? If I don't like lobster, I have to be a chef before I can say so? In order to think a ref made a bad call, I have to be a ref myself? In order to find a chair comfortable, I have to be a furniture maker? I guess back to school, I go. I'm going to be busy. P.S. Yes, maybe Al has done more than me in his life. But I'm proud that a) I'm not an alcoholic, b) I'm still on my first wife, c) I've never declared bankruptsy, and d) I currently have a job. Al can't claim any of those things. P.P.S. Your Mama wears combat boots. :p

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

[quote]Originally posted by Mike Henderson: [b] [quote]Originally posted by JesusChrysler: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Mike Henderson: [b]
quote:
Originally posted by offramp: [QB]On the fade out of "Me Wise Magic", from Van Halen's 'Best Of' CD, Alex and Eddie get completely off time from each other, like someone walked into the studio and walked out with '1'. QB][/quote]I think it's intentional. Al playing straight 4/4 (which fairly sums up his skills) and ed's off in 6/4. Interesting idea, but probably one that I would've dropped after hearing it because I think most people think it's a mistake just as you do. Worse though is Al coming in almost an 1/8 note early at the beginning of the second verse. Like nails on a chalkboard... Anyway, may favorite mistake in recorded music is on the Schindler's List soundtrack. Littered throughout the recording are coughs, rustles, and even a few music stand bangs. With over 150 people in that session, you're bound to have some ambient noise, but it was always much more than I'd ever heard on other recordings. I think people were just antsy in those sessions. And it won an Oscar for best score... It just goes to teach me that vibe is more important than performance. Granted, having a good performance is part of creating a good vibe, but the inevitable mistake is ok and can actually add to a feel.[/b][/quote]You saying Al's limited?Somebody around here is handing out clues,you need to reach out and grab one.How many DIAMOND records have you sold? He's done more before he was popular,than you'll do in a life time...you...you..sorry I don't know what happen,lost it a little.We all can't be Billy Cobham now can we?[/b][/quote]Ouch. Ok, so following that logic, if I want to criticize the president, I must be a president first? If I don't like lobster, I have to be a chef before I can say so? In order to think a ref made a bad call, I have to be a ref myself? In order to find a chair comfortable, I have to be a furniture maker? I guess back to school, I go. I'm going to be busy. P.S. Yes, maybe Al has done more than me in his life. But I'm proud that a) I'm not an alcoholic, b) I'm still on my first wife, c) I've never declared bankruptsy, and d) I currently have a job. Al can't claim any of those things. P.P.S. Your Mama wears combat boots. :p [/b]
WoW!Why so harsh?First you critize, then you kick him while he's down.You don't like Al do you? :wave:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

[quote]Originally posted by guitplayer: [b]Hendrix has a cool live version of "Like a Rolling Stone" where he acknowledges his mistake... "Yeah, I know I missed a verse"... again, it's cool that he's showing the "human" side... and the rest of the song is great! [/b][/quote]Thay whole album is great. It's my favourite Hendrix live album. That version of "Like a Rolling Stone" introduced me to Dylan's music.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Archived