Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazing telegram from Jimi Hendrix to Paul McCartney !

Yazid Manou

My name is Yazid Manou. I'm a free lance music publicist and also a french Jimi Hendrix fanatic ! I'd like to share with you the following amazing untold story :

In 2005, I found the following in Hard Rock Cafe website (Key West, Florida) :

telegram dated 10/21/69 sent by Jimi Hendrix to Paul McCartney. The message reads, "We are recording an LP together this weekend in NY. How about coming in to play bass peace, Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Tony Williams."

Today, still looking for a shot of this amazing document, I just found the telegram is on display in Hard Rock Cafe Prague (Czech Republic) accompanied by a response saying Paul is away on holiday !!

Thanks to Hard Rock Cafe Paris, I obtained a picture of the document :

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/VLONK/Telegram-HardRockCafePrague.jpg

I know Hard Rock Cafe has more than 73000 memorabilia, but there was no mention NOWHERE about this document for 43 years....

I think Paul McCarney has never been informed about it !!! I'm trying to find out !

Stay tuned

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They give one of the most prominent musicians in the world a couple of days notice to come over and join them in a recording session? Sounds like those guys were smoking a little weed and had a great idea: "hey, let's get Paul!"
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I love Macca, but I'm not sure he could have hung with those guys. Maybe with MD as bandleader...

Jimi disagrees.

:D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Wow. And I disagree that Macca couldn't "hang" with those guys. A real musician can quickly fit in because they're a good listener. It would have been "different" than whatever dave Holland or anyone else more "appropriate" would have done, but that in itself might have created something new and fresh.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I love Macca, but I'm not sure he could have hung with those guys. Maybe with MD as bandleader...

Jimi disagrees.

:D

Jimi choked to death on his own vomit from a drug overdose, so that sort of thing calls his judgment into question for me. :rolleyes:

I know Miles wanted to play with Jimi, but did he know about this telegram?

No question of McCartney's being a good musician. And you'll never catch me yammering about "appropriate" personnel for any project. It's just that Paul's pop sensibilities are so strong, and these other guys were almost anti-pop.

It would have been fascinating to hear that recording, though!

You apparently haven't heard any of Macca's experimental works from the 60's, 80's, or recently? He simply wasn't as public/visible when he did so as was Lennon.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

What's a telegram?

A friend said "it's not really a telegram sent by a US company like Western Union - it would have their logo. It's a cable, any early version of a fax."

Jimi choked to death on his own vomit from a drug overdose

from a sleeping pills (Vesparax) overdose, threee times stronger than Mandrax.

I know Miles wanted to play with Jimi, but did he know about this telegram?

I don't think so...

Yazid, you have to come to Seattle to go to the Experience Music Project, a museum built mostly to honor Jimi Hendrix.

Experience Music Project

more stuff oops, looks like they took down the main exhibit, but it'll be back.

As a bassist, I enjoyed seeing Noel Redding's Jazz Bass (although I wanted to take it home with me).

even more stuff.

I can recommend the book Roomful of Mirrors, which is a really good bio of Hendrix. If I recall correctly, the book recounts how Hendrix and Miles Davis met. It made the point that Davis was distrustful of whites, while Hendrix seemed to be colorblind in his dealings with others. I wonder how Davis would have felt about playing with McCartney...

More: I just looked at my copy of Roomful of Mirrors, and it describes the proposed recording session with Jimi, Davis, and Williams--and in fact mentions the telegram at the beginning of this post. The session never happened, because Davis and Williams demanded to be paid up front--Davis wanted $50,000.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Yazid, you have to come to Seattle to go to the Experience Music Project, a museum built mostly to honor Jimi Hendrix.

I attended the opening of EMP on june 2000 ! Three days of concerts (Taj Mahal, Metallica, Eminem & Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eurythmics, James Brown, Bo Diddley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, No Doubt, Kid Rock...). I even wrote a 4 page article for Rock & Folk (number one rock magazine in France) about the all things. I had a pass to do the visit and I took a bunch of pictures for sure !

That was the last time I saw Al Hendrix that I first met for my very first visit to States on April 1997 with a french TV crew.

McCartney could easily hang with those guys. Don't make the mistake of thinking McCartney's a musical lightweight because he doesn't play jazz. He can't read sheet music but he's very well versed in theory otherwise.

McCartney could easily hang with those guys. Don't make the mistake of thinking McCartney's a musical lightweight because he doesn't play jazz. He can't read sheet music but he's very well versed in theory otherwise.
I would never describe Macca as a musical lightweight.

• 4 weeks later...

Daily newspaper Le Monde made an article about the telegram ! Most of you do not read french but you all know the story anyway !

Le Monde is a very very prestigious newspaper.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/VLONK/LeMonde-March22nd2012-Copie.jpg

YM

On March 26th, I talked to Peter Brown (Brian Epstein assistant then executive director of Apple Corps). Peter is the one who answered to the telegram on October 22nd, 1969 : he did not remember at all this telegram which is quite natural after 43 years ! But at least, now he knows I put "some" light on this document...

YM

I'm a bit puzzled about Jimi wanting to record an LP over a weekend - I thought he as a control freak who spent months doing an album. If he was serious he should have got a pa/secretary to get on the phone to try to make personal contact. I know overseas phonecalls were not convenient or cheap in 1969, but Jimi was not a poor person by then.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

I'm a bit puzzled about Jimi wanting to record an LP over a weekend - I thought he as a control freak who spent months doing an album. If he was serious he should have got a pa/secretary to get on the phone to try to make personal contact. I know overseas phonecalls were not convenient or cheap in 1969, but Jimi was not a poor person by then.

I'm still thinking the jazz producer Alan Douglas wrote the telegram...I met him few weeks ago but he doesn't remember at all !!!

YM

• 3 weeks later...

PAUL MCCARTNEY has shot a video paying tribute to Jim Marshall, inventor of the Marshall amplifier, who passed away recently at the age of 88. The clip shows THE BEATLES legend and his backing band playing instrumental version of the JIMI HENDRIX classic 'Foxy Lady'. McCartney stops the tune and says: This goes to the family and the friends ofthe great Jim Marshall, founder of Marshall Amps. Jim made it loud. We want to thank Jim. Man, we love you. Our tribute to you.

YM

• 1 year later...
You know, it sounds like something Miles would propose. And I bet if Miles proposed it, Jimi would have gone for it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived