Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos drums

J. Dan

Do you stil have your Triton? Let him use that!

Yes, but that would require bringing it out.....

I would assign him with that unique responsibility.

Or:

How 'bout him getting a Triton-Rack (or similar module)? Seems they can be had for around 4 bills. To echo what others have said, I'd be in favor of a solution that keeps his rig orthogonal to yours.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attempted something similar with the drummer in my Rush tribute, he picked up a MalletKat, and I programmed all the mallet/chimes/tubular bells/etc on my laptop. We did it this way because the drummer got a screaming deal on the Kat about a week before the gig, and since I already had the sounds programmed since I was covering them on keys, it was the fastest way to make the gig work. I don't recommend it.

First, if you screw up and don't change patches at the right time, you don't just mess up you sounds, you mess up the drummer as well. This unfortunately happened on the gig. You are probably more organized than I am, but still.

Secondly, it means running a long MIDI cable across the stage. Another line to trip over, accidentally unplug during the gig, etc.

And third, the drummer doesn't have the chance to practice with the sounds or tweak them himself unless you and your Kronos are there. My drummer eventually bought a used Macbook, and I helped him set up Mainstage on it. Now he's programming and tweaking his own sounds on it, and it's less I have to worry about.

So add my voice to the chorus of those recommending the drummer gets his own module.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I wouldn't use the Kronos as a sound source for the drums. Pick up another drum module (Roland or Alesis) on eBay and keep it moving. :cool:

+1 on this

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

And what about loss of polyphony? Possible trouble there too? I wouldn't put all the eggs in one basket for the sake of sourcing a fairly inexpensive new drum module.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived