Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old synth as midi-controller?

konaboy

May I suggest a Yamaha EX7? Cheap, has three mod wheels, a ribbon, and six endless encoders. Expression pedal input, sustain, and breath controller input. Nice action and it's a pretty bitchin' synth in it's own right. I use mine as a MIDI controller for softsynths all the time.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THanks for all the replies in what has been a very informative thread.

I'll stay away from any keyboard that doesn't transmit the full range of velocity. I hate it when you have to smash the keys to trigger the FF piano sample. I've now learned that the DX7 apparently has this problem.

I've got a buddy who has a Korg M1, maybe I can talk him into a deal. That appeals to be on many levels, I lusted after one of those when I was a kid but it was way out of my reach. Would be fun to pick one up 25 years later and fool around with it, maybe create some house music licks.

Good call on the Yamaha EX7! I'd forgotten about that keyboard, I've seen them go cheaply second hand. I think an old Motif would also be a good candidate.

The advantage of course with a modern USB controller is that you don't need the additional USB-MIDI interface and bus power is very convenient - one less thing to plug in. And they are more compact too which is very important if you are cramped for space or need to put the keyboard on your computer desk.

I'll just be using it for fooling around with at home, just trying out softsynths and maybe doing some sequencing.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I'll stay away from any keyboard that doesn't transmit the full range of velocity. I hate it when you have to smash the keys to trigger the FF piano sample. I've now learned that the DX7 apparently has this problem.

In this case, you'd be needlessly depriving yourself of an option. It's ridiculously easy to fix the velocity issue at the software level; there are in fact multiple solutions to choose from, depending upon your host/DAW, OS, mood of the day, etc. One-time fix; satisfaction guaranteed ;).

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived