Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Soniccouture preparing a Rhodes version of BrokenWurli?

burningbusch

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though I love Neo-Soul Keys, there's always room for another Rhodes library as the different Rhodes models are so distinct. Hopefully they'll sample one that isn't as widely covered.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 month later...

Like I said, there are so many variations in the Rhodes sound over the years, that another Rhodes library is always welcome and rarely redundant.

I can't wait to hear what the other instruments in the set are going to be! Broken Wurly is AWESOME and the first Wurly set that hasn't had me searching for a DIFFERENT e-piano sound as a placeholder in the project until a decent Wurly comes along.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 4 weeks later...
I seem to be in the distinct minority here, not thinking that Broken Wurly is in the same league as Scarbee. While the latter needs to go through an amp, or amp sim, since it is a sample set of the direct out, it seems so much more playable and expressive throughout the velocity range for me. Maybe I just need to spend some more time with Broken Wurly (and I will). I like the way it SOUNDS, but it does not seem to play as well for me.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Scarbee sure plays nice. The hardest thing for me to find was a Rhodes sound that would get out of the way when playing softly, yet still be present with that low muddy rumble of chords. Scarbee does that very well, better than anything else I've tried, other than the real thing of course.

That soniccouture looks very versatile, but the proof is in the pudding. You can't tell from a video what it's going to play like live.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

I need to get either Broken Wurli or the Scarbee. My own Wurlitzer 206 is fun to play but it's noisy as all hell.

My Rhodes 73, on the other hand, sounds bad-ass. So unless it has felt hammer / Silvertop samples in it, I'll probably pass on this new instrument from Soniccouture.

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your interest in the upcoming EP73 Deconstructed. I thought it might be useful to provide some more info on the product.

While it's true that we have picked a classic (some might say ubiquitous) Rhodes for this project, the aim was to coax entirely new sounds and textures from it, as well as capturing the classic tones with an unprecedented level of detail.

So, to that end, we have created new Rhodes instruments by delicately hammering the tines, by bowing them, and plucking them. These all produced extremely musical results which aren't ( generally) too radical : all retain the Rhodes character and are fully tuned and mapped to the keyboard.

Anyway, it will be out next week - I'll be very interested to hear what you think!

Cheers

James

Soniccouture

I need to get either Broken Wurli or the Scarbee. My own Wurlitzer 206 is fun to play but it's noisy as all hell.

My Rhodes 73, on the other hand, sounds bad-ass. So unless it has felt hammer / Silvertop samples in it, I'll probably pass on this new instrument from Soniccouture.

Also check out the new Acousticsamples Wurlie.

That's actually what my Wurli used to be... a 206. I took the bottom cabinet off, though, with the speakers. It was too heavy to gig with otherwise. I also added tremolo to it via a kit from Vintage Vibe. But I need to go through it. The action needs work and like I said, it's noisy. Probably needs new caps.

I bought it, and it's now my top Rhodes choice when going for Stage Mark I vs. Suitcase Mark I. For the latter, I love Neo-Soul Keys still.

I reviewed EP73 Deconstructed elsewhere (I forget where), but to quickly summarize, its advantages over Scarbee are that it has way more dynamic variation and smoothness, and also seems more fluid from a phrasing point of view.

Archived