Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bored with current boards

zephonic

I'm glad to hear the Kronos is inspiring. I only heard it at Winter NAMM 2011, but was underwhelmed with the sounds. I think it was amazingly flexible and had many many useful sounds and functions, but I was left feeling flat. I do know that this isn't a great way to evaluate a keyboard, but that's all I saw of it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point anyway, don't most of us have keyboards or setups that already do what we want them to do? Or no?

I continue to be satisfied with my current collection of keyboards. Except maybe the Privia in my living room - the distorted reverb that kicks in when I hold a note (with my finger, not using the sustain pedal) grates on my ears when I practice with headphones/earphones (to not wake up my housemate). My current workaround is to use my beat-up iPod headphones - the fidelity is low enough that I don't hear as much of that reverb.

But the other keyboards are not going anywhere. I've focused more and more on learning how to operate them, whether it's synthesis techniques on the Modular G2, or using the KARMA on my M3.

I have a brand new Kronos and I love it too.. it's quite inspiring to play. At one time or another all of us get tired with our instruments, whether it's a Hammond B3, a sophisticated synth workstation, an acoustic guitar, a flute, or a piano... The fact is that you can get bored with having to much or having too little...!!

Sometimes you need to step away from your instrument, whatever that is, and that may mean digging yourself out of the technology, and instead just go play the bongos... or pick up an acoustic guitar... on the other hand, sometimes a new keyboard is exactly what the doctor ordered.

At this time, the new Kronos is very inspiring, however, I have to say that of all the available sounds, it's the acoustic piano that's really got my juices flowing right now!

Well put!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

As musicians, if we are satisfied with the instruments we are currently using, there's probably no point to buy something else. Gigging musicians generally use many of the same B&B sounds we always have used. If the action, sound, and interface are to your liking, no point in spending $$$ on the latest and greatest that does basically the same thing and might be only marginally "better".

After years of buying new gear, learning a new interface to do the same type of things that I've always done got boring. The manufacturers try to jam as much bang for the same amount of bucks into their latest box. Price is the common denominator as far as the vendors are concerned 'cause we will only pay "so much" for baby step improvements for more of the same. :bor:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

But the other keyboards are not going anywhere. I've focused more and more on learning how to operate them, whether it's synthesis techniques on the Modular G2, or using the KARMA on my M3.

Speaking of KARMA, I've been studying some online resources (unfortunately there aren't many). KARMA is like an onion... one layer after another and never finding the end of it. Haven't given up though, just amazed at the depth.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived