Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord C1 > Ventilator > QSC K10

dazzjazz

Hi,

Is anyone using this exact combo?

I've tried my C1 > QSC K10 and I don't like the sound. The EQ/Leslie Sim voices the wrong part of the frequency spectrum and sounds unnatural.

I'm wondering if the Ventilator will fix this.

Usually I use a real Leslie or a Pro 145, but I have some gigs soon where there's not the room.

Thanks

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been using a QSC K8 with my Nord C1 or Electro 3, without a Ventilator, in two bands and all my bandmates love the sound and I get compliments from strangers. I used a Traynor K4 before that and my bandmates thanked me when I got the QSC K8. (It seems that high treble notes with rotary on fast was not fun for them through the Traynor K4.) If we play a larger room, I simply take the output from the K8 into the P.A. (mono throughout--changed from stereo when I changed amps). I haven't tried a Vent yet. I don't think this addresses your exact question, but hope this helps a bit.

Nord Piano, Nord Electro 3, Nord C1, Traynor K4, QSC K8, various guitars and amps.

Lurking more than posting, but here a lot. Thanks to KC!!!

Hi Darren,

I use the exact same setup, the C1's left mono out into the K10. I've had no problem with the leslie sounds, but I'm not an expert on this, I never had the real thing to compare. Usually I'm not quite content with the sound of the speaker when it's very close to me, but some recordings I made have shown that it sounds much better once you're a few meters away from the speaker.

What I do though is to sometimes roll off some bass on the Nord's EQ, I personally find the K10 amplifies the bass frequencies too strongly, also on my other keyboards.

In a trio or quartet setting, I usually play just 808 on the lower manual and don't use the pedal bass sounds.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I have the setup. I like the Vent's overdrive better than the C1's and I like the Leslie about 20% better. Is it better? Absolutely! Is it $499 better? Probably not, it depends on how much that sound is important to you and how it stands out in your mix.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Darren,

I have used a Ventilator and two QSC K10's with both a Nord C1 and a Nord C2 for some time now. The question of whether or not the Ventilator $499 better than the C1's internal SIM is a relative thing, but personally, the quality of the leslie sim is VERY important to me, and I think it's well worth the investment.

In an effort to streamline my rig, I actually stopped using my ventilator with my C2 for 4-5 gigs, and I got used to the internal C2 sim (I thought I would try using the new 145 model that came with the recent OS update which to my ears is much improved over the basic C2 or C1 sim).. for those gigs I was reasonably happy with the internal sim and quite happy not having to worry about bringing the ventilator and worry about extra line cords, and AC Adapter, and remote etc... However, for some reason, after getting used to the internal sim, I dragged out my ventilator again and WOW, it was like night and day.. I was reasonably satisfied with the C2 sim, but the Ventilator just blows me away.. and it seems like I had to stop using it for a while to really appreciate it, again. Now I am back to using it on every gig.. and things are going to stay that way!

IF you pick up a Ventilator, you will hear noticably improved animation (the sense of motion), improved warmth, the overdrive is superb, and you'll find that overall the effect is just spectacular.

I'm not sure what the weird EQ is that you're hearing, can you elaborate on this a bit...? BTW the QSC's have several EQ settings... a bass boost and a vocal enhancer.. I have both set to off... so I use the K10's flat and I don't hear anything overtly unnatural.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Hi Craig,

Thanks for writing. Great info.

I use just one K10 so perhaps that's part of the issue, but it's a midrange thing I'm hearing. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Perhaps it's just the resonant frequency of the K10 itself. I run the K10 flat and have tried the Vocal and Bass Boost etc.

I'm going to try to borrow one and check it for myself.

Thanks

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

No mystery... my C2 runs into the Vent, from the Vent into a small Yamaha MG82CX mixer and straight out to my QSC K10's.. which are always on my side of the stage typically pointed slightly apart.

If you want to hear my rig you can go to my youtube channel... we have a couple of recordings of my 11STEPS band performing at the El Mocambo in December. We had no intention of recording the band but the sound guy offered to do so for $40 so we thought what the hell.. It's a crappy video (weirdly compressed) and it's just a stereo mix straight off the board (so it's mostly vocals and drums).. but you can get a pretty good idea what my rig sounds like... Here's a link to Green Eyed Lady.. note that I turned up the organ a tad for the solo and didn't realize that I was overdriving the ventilator a bit, so you can hear a bit of fuzz.

11STEPS Live at the El Mocambo

You'll also find us performing Deep Purples HUSH, which you can get a sense for the heavier more overdriven DP sound. You might want to give that a listen as well.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

That's a Roland Gaia that I use for all my analog synth sounds and it's difficult to see but I have a Roland Sonic Cell sitting on the top right side of my C2, and I use that for all my piano, EP brass and string sounds.. Thanks!!

Craig MacDonald

YES the GAIA is a great synth... and a great buy.. FYI the tweat tweat sound during the drum solo is from a set of patches that I purchased from Sweetwater sound.. it just nails the sound!!

Craig MacDonald

Listen to the GAIA demo by Daniel Fisher, you can see it on youtube or at Sweetwater Sound.. his patches are outstanding and they really show off the capabilities of the GAIA.

Craig MacDonald

Archived