Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting list

Scott Fraser

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Grammys, The R&R Hall of Fame, The Oscars... I have cared very, very little for any of them and their kind for a long, long time.

I cared deeply about a Grammy for the duration of my nomination for one. When it went to Joao Gilberto I returned to my previous state of not caring about Grammys at all.

Scott Fraser

It's all about generating sales for the music industry so don't let it get to you. I usually watch the first hour or so but every year is a bit less due to the increase in (a) my age and (b) the type and quality of the entertainers.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I think that Stephen Colbert really nailed it in the opening speech he delivered at the Grammys a couple of years ago. It was widely proclaimed that he "bombed", but those who thought so were apparently ignorant to the point of simply not understanding what he had to say...

The Grammys, The R&R Hall of Fame, The Oscars... I have cared very, very little for any of them and their kind for a long, long time.

I cared deeply about a Grammy for the duration of my nomination for one. When it went to Joao Gilberto I returned to my previous state of not caring about Grammys at all.

Hahhaahhahhaahhaahhahhaahh!! I expected you to chime in with something kinda like that... ! :D:thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Never watch the awards shows as I get tired of them endlessly thanking Mom, God, Staff, Fans, etc...and then there are the politics, neglected people and enviro speaches etc. that drives me nuts (even if they are worthy causes)...so my wife watches all the awards shows and if something catches my ear I'll take a peak...it doesn't surprize me that the great stars on this list never won a Grammy...
Take care, Larryz

O'Shite, never watching them either leaves me wondering...what DID Colbert say?

Whitefang

I'll see if I can find a transcript of it or something; apparently all the video-clips of it that were on YouTube have been deleted at the bequest of the Academy...

Rock and roll has no place in fancy awards ceremonies, museums or halls of fame... unless it's spiking the punch, knocking over tables and getting thrown out.

I can dig that! :cool:

Rock and roll has no place in fancy awards ceremonies, museums or halls of fame... unless it's spiking the punch, knocking over tables and getting thrown out.

I can dig that! :cool:

If you've never been to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland you might want to suspend judgement on that part of it. It's pretty cool.

Scott Fraser

I really hoped this would be my year to be nominated for a Grammy, but due to slow sales they eliminated the "Blues player in a traditional (family room) setting" category. Dangit anyway. Maybe Lady Gogo or CeLo will invite me to sit in with them.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

It`s a sales award, period.

For what it`s worth I can see why some artists have won it, more clearly than I can see why others haven`t.

Certainly in the pop categories that is true. In the ethnic, folk, world, classical, Hawaiian, polka, whatever, categories nobody is selling a lot, so those tend to be judged on artistic merit. In fact they have to be, since only people in the academy who are from those esoteric categories do the initial round of selection & narrowing to the final 5 competitors. As somebody from the academy told me, getting recognized by your peers to get into the final 5 is the real recognition & reward. I have the plaque on the wall of my studio.

Scott Fraser

That is indeed an honor-one of my ex-bandmates, who I still hang out with when back stateside, actually won one for recording Pete Seeger`s most recent CD.

Ya I mean, as I said when someone wins one, even if I don`t care for the music myself I can see why they got it, or at least why they were nominated even aside from the sales factor. Why they won and someone else with at least equal impact didn`t, is a lot less clear to me.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

That's awesome Scott. Do you mind sharing more? When was this? What was the category?

48th Grammy Awards, year 2005, category; Best Contemporary World Music Album. The record was "You've Stolen My Heart" by Kronos Quartet & Asha Bhosle. I was the recording engineer, mastering engineer, producer, synth programmer, & filled in a few small yet insignificant guitar & electric sitar parts.

Scott Fraser

That's awesome Scott. Do you mind sharing more? When was this? What was the category?

48th Grammy Awards, year 2005, category; Best Contemporary World Music Album. The record was "You've Stolen My Heart" by Kronos Quartet & Asha Bhosle. I was the recording engineer, mastering engineer, producer, synth programmer, & filled in a few small yet insignificant guitar & electric sitar parts.

:cool: Very cool; sa-lute!

Very, very cool. IMHO, it is the people behind the scenes (i.e. producers and engineers) who should feel genuinely recognized by the Grammy's. It is their art and expertise that the general populous recognizes and appreciates. It seems that in most cases, the artists themselves are only remotely responsible for the success of the recordings.
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Archived