Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best powered speaker to use as a keyboard amp?

Lord_Nord

There seems to be a consensus in this forum that the QSC K10 or K12 is really the way to go for a keyboard amp. However, elsewhere, I have heard hot debate about other speakers such as the JBL PRX 612 or even the EV ELX112P. They are all 1000W speakers with similar db levels. The only one that I have had the chance to try is the JBL PRX612 and I was extremely impressed with the power, 12 inch speaker, clarity, and light weight portability of that unit (34.5 lbs)!

So why is the QSC K10 the top choice here?

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because ... for the most part the QSC was first ( 2009 ). If I was in the market now I would save some $$$ and buy EVs.

Heck half the time I just use Behringers because I don't have hard cases for the QSC and I hate putting them in the trailer with just those fancy QSC gym bags.

Pretty soon I won't use any powered speakers and hope these ear pieces do the job.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I A/B'd the QSC K 12 extensively against the JBL PRX 612 and went with the JBL's. I thought it was the clear cut winner. Both will do the job just fine. For what it's worth, my prior speakers were EV 360a's......

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

The only JBX PRX I have experience with is the 625. Assuming the smaller ones have a similar tonal character, if sound quality is the only issue, I would take a PRX or an EV (based on my experience with the ZXa1) over a QSC. But there are other differences besides sound quality. Some people may prefer the QSC over the JBL because it has a lot more input flexibility, or because it's available in smaller sizes (the smallest PRX is a 12" system, that's what the largest QSC K is).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well if it helps any, I would always use a mixer, so input flexibility is not a factor for me...but yes the QSC back panel mixer is a nice feature overall.

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

Did they fix the compressor issue on the PRX line? That was a deal killer for me back when I bought a pair of 515s.

Well from what I understand, the JBL PRX612 was a completely new design that responded to a lot of the complaints from the PRX 500 series. So I would guess that they probably did address it.

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

I A/B'd the QSC K 12 extensively against the JBL PRX 612 and went with the JBL's. I thought it was the clear cut winner. Both will do the job just fine. For what it's worth, my prior speakers were EV 360a's......

Ever have any problems with overheating on the PRX? I know it has a passive heat sink where the QSC's is actively cooled

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

Did they fix the compressor issue on the PRX line? That was a deal killer for me back when I bought a pair of 515s.

Yes they did. No such problems in the 612's......

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Because ... for the most part the QSC was first ( 2009 ).

Really? QSC was first in 2009? I started using a Mackie SRM450 (with a small mixer) as a keyboard amp around 2000-01 timeframe.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Because ... for the most part the QSC was first ( 2009 ).

Really? QSC was first in 2009? I started using a Mackie SRM450 (with a small mixer) as a keyboard amp around 2000-01 timeframe.

Yeah, I started using JBL EON's in the late 90's IIRC
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I went with the Yamaha DSR112's ... a little heavier - but not a deal breaker. At the time I purchased (early November '11) there was a $100 manufacturer's rebate on the $799 price in effect to sweeten the pot. I don't know if it's still in effect.

I use a pair of 'em for stage monitoring (my ears aren't smart enough to understand the science behind why mono is best, so they go with what they think sounds best....) I'm very happy with the purchase.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Does anyone have experience with a powered monitor containing a 15" woofer?

Yes, I am using these Carvin PM15A speakers as the mains on my PA. I have also used one with my SP4-7 and also played acoustic guitar through it. Built in mixer and sounds great!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Does anyone have experience with a powered monitor containing a 15" woofer? Any recommendations?

I still have the JBL EON 15PAK (for PA and Keyboards, specifically).

Although the 15" woofer is great if you play LH bass, I think a 12" or 10" woofer would pair better with the horn-loaded compression driver.

OTOH, for acoustic piano sounds, the JBL sounded pretty good in its day. I would not attempt to compare it with the current models from JBL or QSC though.

The guys over on that other forum HC - Live Sound & Production swear by the JBL PRX612M. I think they have a great deal of experience with PA equipment, so I put a lot of credence in their opinions.

I would definitely audition these in a side-by-side comparison before I made a decision though. The quality of sound is more important to me than their overall loudness. And if they can't make an acoustic piano program sound good, they're disqualified from the start.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Does anyone have experience with a powered monitor containing a 15" woofer? Any recommendations?

I'm using a single JBL EON 15G2 on the floor at church for a monitor. It's being fed from one of the four aux buses on an A&H ZED 4-36 board. Works well, can get way too loud (but I was using a pair of them behind me for my sound before we all went with mixing in the new 36 channel board.

I've got another one at home now - I have used them for keys, but find that the 12" EVs or the 10" QSCs get the job done and are easier to carry (The JBL is a bit of an odd shape, and bangs against the leg when hauling it in and out).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I've been meaning to post this on the namm thread but I saw some reall cool Yamaha dxr speakers.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dxr/

The input flexibility of these speakers seem really convenient.

Interesting, just read the specs ... and already available.

Found ´em at Thomann for moderate prices.

A.C.

Since I like the JBL PRX-625 with the two 15s, I'd feel pretty confident about the single-15 version, the PRX-615. Though is this really for use as a monitor? For stage monitor use, I wouldn't think a 15 would be needed. If you're using it for mains, though, the reason I preferred the 625 to the 615, despite the heavier weight, is that they are floor-standing so you don't have to bother with setting up stands, or worry about their increased footprint, or deal with hoisting 44 lb speakers up on to them. The fact that they go quite a bit louder and deeper is a bonus!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been meaning to post this on the namm thread but I saw some reall cool Yamaha dxr speakers.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dxr/

The input flexibility of these speakers seem really convenient.

Interesting, just read the specs ... and already available.

Found ´em at Thomann for moderate prices.

A.C.

Appear to be heavy relative to the EVs--the 8" unit is 29 lbs vs the EV 17 lbs. But the SPL is much higher than the EV. Interesting.

I can highly recommend EV ZXA1's - I've never been so happy with my sound as I am with these. Even using a single ZX gives you a quite impressive sound. Sure - it's small with "only" an eight inch speaker and it's not as loud as the QSC or Yamaha's listed here, but 123 dB is still LOUD. For a small speaker it still has really good bass response (-3dB at 60 Hz, -10 at 48). It biggest advantages, compared to other speaker here is its low weight and small size - and the price is reasonably low as well. :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Another happy E/V owner here, along with my keyboardist bandleader, who finds it gives the most convincing delivery of acoustic instruments (as emulated in ROMplers, of course).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived