Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaker advice

Scott Fraser

Atomic makes a Tube Powered active full range two way system designed to be used with modelers like the Fractal. It's 46# powered. It's heavy, but if you want low end power, you need a big magnet and power... Atomic

I've looked at & considered those. They come up on Craigslist regularly. Definitely bigger, heavier & costlier than what I have. When I weigh those 3 factors against improved sound I lapse into a state my college pals referred to as "POLAR". Path Of Least Apparent Resistance. Which translates to "Doing nothing is an activity." So, I've done nothing about it.

Scott Fraser

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like something out of the 'Oblique Strategies' deck - or a variation on "making no choice is also a choice." At any rate . . .

Taking a step back, what's the most portable, or manageable rig that's ever worked for you? Do any of the places you play have an in-house system you could go into direct, without compromising your sound, or paying some extortionate 'fee' for using the house gear?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Hmmn; I ran across this EVM12L-like speaker- hefty, but should be strong in the low-end dept., and the price isn't too bad at all as new speakers go:

Eminence Delta Pro 12A

Bass/Mid-Bass Speaker/Guitar Speaker

As a guitar Speaker, The Delta Pro 12A became popular as a guitar speaker through the public, Eminence didn't have anything to do with it, as an alternative to the EVM12L. It ironically has similar specs. It's clean, relatively neutral - you get out what you put in....hear more amp than speaker coloration, big low end, warm/smooth mids and highs.

And another Eminence speaker that might suit your stated needs, this one a JBL D120-like model:

Eminence Commonwealth 12 Guitar Speaker

Clean, warm, full, non-distorted, un-adulterated guitar tone. Coloration: Warm and rich, but also very clean and well defined. Great presence! Very full and smooth. Very little cone break-up, but likes Overdrive. Genre: All Genres.

Cast aluminum frame an aluminum dust cap. Compares favorably to JBL D120.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hmmn; I ran across this EVM12L-like speaker- hefty, but should be strong in the low-end dept., and the price isn't too bad at all as new speakers go:

Eminence Delta Pro 12A

Bass/Mid-Bass Speaker/Guitar Speaker

As a guitar Speaker, The Delta Pro 12A became popular as a guitar speaker through the public, Eminence didn't have anything to do with it, as an alternative to the EVM12L. It ironically has similar specs. It's clean, relatively neutral - you get out what you put in....hear more amp than speaker coloration, big low end, warm/smooth mids and highs.

And another Eminence speaker that might suit your stated needs, this one a JBL D120-like model:

Eminence Commonwealth 12 Guitar Speaker

Clean, warm, full, non-distorted, un-adulterated guitar tone. Coloration: Warm and rich, but also very clean and well defined. Great presence! Very full and smooth. Very little cone break-up, but likes Overdrive. Genre: All Genres.

Cast aluminum frame an aluminum dust cap. Compares favorably to JBL D120.

Dude! Serious research chops! I thought I had been all through the Eminence site but I didn't find these two. It looks now like I have my solution, the Delta Pro-12. Heavy & costly, but a MUCH flatter freq response than anything marketed solely for guitar use. Man, thank you so much for putting that kind of effort into a search for a solution that isn't even your gear. What a mensch!

Scott Fraser

Taking a step back, what's the most portable, or manageable rig that's ever worked for you?

What I currently have, the 2 PowerEngines, is certainly the most portable & easiest to set up stereo system I've had. The most hi fi was a pair of Ramsa PA cabinets with a separate, overly heavy power amp. At this point, ease & weight are important factors. Long ago I did gigs where I pulled my studio mixer out of the studio & essentially set up a studio at the venue. Now, I really need the gig to be much more similar to a guitar-plugged-into-amp kind of thing, even though there are 2 racks & a pedal board between the guitar & the amps.

Do any of the places you play have an in-house system you could go into direct, without compromising your sound, or paying some extortionate 'fee' for using the house gear?

It's always different. I need to be self-contained to maintain quality control. My last gig was at a club with a serious PA. I looked at the space (pretty small) & decided my amps were plenty sufficient & the house engineer agreed & it sounded just fine with no PA at all. OTOH I've played at places that claimed to have a PA which turned out to be one crap Peavey cab paired with an EV with a blown horn, run off some ancient Altec head. When playing out I try to only wear my musician hat, but as an audio engineer I need to have more control than that.

Scott Fraser

Glad you like that, hope you like it if you buy and try it; keep us posted, let me know!

The price isn't too bad as new guitar speakers go; I think that all of the ones I want- and, hehhehh, can't afford yet- are considerably more expensive. I think you should be able to find 'em for $110, $120 apiece or so.

I don't think Eminence either intended or promoted them for guitar-amp use, which may be why you hadn't noticed them before; they just happen to be similar to the EVM12L, which is very desirable to many players, and have apparently caught on as an option for that kind of sound.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The price isn't too bad as new guitar speakers go; I think that all of the ones I want- and, hehhehh, can't afford yet- are considerably more expensive. I think you should be able to find 'em for $110, $120 apiece or so.

So far the range I see is a low of about $114 to around $134, based on about 6 web dealers.

Scott Fraser

• 10 months later...
Hey, Scott, did you ever try either of those Eminence speakers?

Dude, you are so psychic. I've been completely overwhelmed with working on everybody else's music for the last 6 months, having no time left for my own stuff. Just a few days ago I was looking at my Tech21's & wondering if I'd ever be able to remember what research had gone into that question & with what result. Now here it is, resurrected & presented to me again. So, no, I didn't act on that info with an actual purchase, but that's the plan. It will be interesting to hear higher fi speakers with my newest purchase, a new solid body, with the cleanest, most well defined (hear every inner note in weird, gnarly, discordant jazz voicings kind of definition,) hi fi pickups I have ever heard. And sustain for days. But that's a different thread.

Cheers, & thanks again,

Scott Fraser

I recently bought an Ibanez TSA-15 head & open cab to lower the carry weight on smaller gigs. It ships stock with that Celestion 70 Eighty. The sound of it is getting better as it breaks in plus the light weight is a big plus --- but it is a cheapo speaker and sounds like it.

I may replace it with a vintage Jensen from my 68 sf twin or a vintage JBL K-120 I'm not using - at the expense of increasing the weight.

My opinion also - the speaker is good for home-players but doesn't cut it on a pro level as noted in the OP.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

I have gone to the Eminence Swamp Thang in my 1x12 combo, 2x12 cab, and 4x12 cab. I have even tried the Eminence Texas Heat in combination with the Swamp Thang and I keep coming back to the Swamp Thang. I play classic rock, blues, and even a bit of new age and this speaker does it all very well. Playing well is the best recipe for great tone but my secret weapon is the Swamp Thang!

Archived