Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you like to hear out of the monitors?

Lord_Nord

Just wondering if you guys go through the house what you like to hear back through the monitors (besides keyboards).

Personally, I like to hear vocals and bass if their amp is not close to me.

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use IEM's, so I only hear what I put in my mix. I generally start with pretty close to what would be FOH, and then maybe kick my parts up just a tad, and lead guitar down just a tad.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Typically, when working with "open air" wedges - the only thing I want in my monitors besides keys are the vocals and sax. Occasionally - if playing outdoors on with a spreadout set our stage setup (like on a trailer type "porta-stage") I might include a little guitar since he's usually on the far side of the stage from me.

If I'm using my IEMs - I want everything EXCEPT drums and percussion (vocalist dabbles with congas on a few tunes...).

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I see a lot of guys around here are using IEM...for musicians in my area, that's kind of a crazy thing. But personally, I've always wanted to try them. Which kind do you guys use and do you prefer them over wedge monitors?

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

Anything I can't hear otherwise.

In all my recent bands I've managed to set up with the bass between me and the drums with guitar on the other side. So I don't need either of those in my monitors.

But I use my rig for my instruments only and rely on the stage vocal monitors for the rest, even when I'm singing the few tunes I sing.

It depends entirely on the kind of music I'm playing, but generally speaking, I like to hear a realistic rendition of the whole/FOH group mix, with my keyboards slightly emphasized, and also the rhythm section slighly louder than the soloists.

In the quintet I like vocals, keys, horn, and bass. Sometimes a little bit of drums and guitar if the stage is really big. With the big band I like keys, bass, and guitar. In most other situations I don't need guitar in the monitor.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Ideal situation is nothing. When you could hear the right mix of everybody just from the basic stage volume (live drums, amps, and monitoring) for me is the ideal mix.

So I always start with nothing and gradually add whatever I'm missing or not getting enough of. I'm very much a rhythm section player and like being in that role more than soloist. As a result hearing kick/snare/hi-hat and bass is the most important thing to me.

After that all the vocals if I'm going to sing. Anything else I have to live without or else the mix gets overcrowded and muddy.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Ideal situation is nothing. When you could hear the right mix of everybody just from the basic stage volume (live drums, amps, and monitoring) for me is the ideal mix.

So I always start with nothing and gradually add whatever I'm missing or not getting enough of. I'm very much a rhythm section player and like being in that role more than soloist. As a result hearing kick/snare/hi-hat and bass is the most important thing to me.

+1 I always check the stage volume and go from there. I like hearing bass. Most of the time, I don't need to hear any drums and maybe just a touch of guitar. Vocals are nice too. Then a whole lot of myself. :D

Archived