Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord C20

dazzjazz

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RIght, the feel of slight "detents" is a good feature, abrupt noises in the sound is not. From reading this, it sounds like people are saying that the Nord nicely has the detents, whereas the Hammond SK series does not, but both are smooth in how the drawbars/drawfaders affect the sound.

Correct, perhaps "ratchet" was not quite right for describing the pro-feeling detentes on the C2D. They have a pleasant click at each increment. Same thing I've seen on the Hammond XK and Korg CX organs.

I wonder when the new XPK-200L will hit the market? It seems it will have longer pedals than the XPK-200, so if they can keep the price down, this might be a winner.

I was told mid-March. I believe they are about $1100.00.

I heard that $3500 figure quoted in that video above again!. Is that List? Price with pedals (not likely)? What?

If it's a $3500 street price for just the C2D alone, that's going to generate lots of business for Crumar's Mojo!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

With the placement of the numbers on the drawbars, I wonder how high you can have the board situated before the top edge of the drawbar obscures your view of the relevant number? If, for example, you played seated and had the board tiered over a DP, I wonder if that would be an issue? Not that would be an insurmountable problem, but possibly a minor annoyance.

Great video, thanks for sharing. Really liked the guy interviewing, he calls it like he sees it, not another ball licker. Way to go KB Magazine :thu:

I like what i hear so far but we can't tell much from those videos.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

That's Steve Fortner... I really did not hear the percussion when he was playing ... But he said that it sounded good.... How about overdrive? Heard nothing...

But it's a prototype, and all the features are not in yet... But I predict that it will never come to market at that price point. Who will spend that much money on this product when you can get a superior sounding organ, with real drawbars, at a much lower price point. Mojo????

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Who will spend that much money on this product when you can get a superior sounding organ, with real drawbars, at a much lower price point. Mojo????

Even assuming all that, if Mojo isn't in retail stores and on sites like Sweetwater, Nord may not feel they're much of a competitive factor right now, outside of this forum. ;-) Really, I wonder if the small Crumar operation is even capable of shipping the quantity of units that would make Nord sit up and take notice.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Again, in the US....

Nord: $5000 +

Hammond A100 and Leslie 122: $2000

Good luck with that church market...

You can't fairly compare new boards with used ones. You might as well say no one should buy a new top of line Hyundai when they can get a used BMW for less, but there are pros and cons. Also, in some parts of the country, used Hammonds are not that easy to come by. They can also be expensive to move, and there is also the question of service/maintenance... not just the possible expense, but whether there is even someone local who can do it.

Unlike a 50 year old A100, a new Nord (or other modern portable, SK2/XK-3c, whatever), at least comes with a warranty. And if you don't care about the warranty, you can buy those cheaper used too, and they are light enough to reasonably ship so you're not limited to what's available in your area, and you can even ship them somewhere for service if need be.

Sure you can. People that are buying the old tonewheels don't care about a warranty.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

First video. As usual, too much talkee, too little playee.

[video:youtube]

If he can't distinguish a clonewheel from a real console he's got a problem. I don care if it is through a Leslie.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Even assuming all that, if Mojo isn't in retail stores and on sites like Sweetwater, Nord may not feel they're much of a competitive factor right now, outside of this forum. ;-) Really, I wonder if the small Crumar operation is even capable of shipping the quantity of units that would make Nord sit up and take notice.

I'm interested in the Mojo, but feel a little nervous about service etc if there's no local dealership etc.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I'm interested in the Mojo, but feel a little nervous about service etc if there's no local dealership etc.

I'm not as worried about that because I have enough gear that if it had to be down for a couple of weeks (i.e. troubleshoot, wait for a part from Italy, do the repair), I'd have something else I could use. As much as I like to play "real" organ, my gigs aren't so "organ purist", so I can get by with less (heck, I can even usually get by with a couple of rompler presets if I need to). But if you had to absolutely rely on it, I could see that being an issue. The only thing stopping me is that I can't justify bringing a 2-manual organ to most of my gigs, especially since it would probably be in addition to, not one, but more likely two other boards! But if he comes out with a single manual version soon, I'd go for it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dazz,

I can tell you from experience that the guys at Crumar are very attentive and extremely helpful when it comes to questions about the Mojo. The internal motherboard is pretty standard stuff so there is nothing exotic that can't be fixed by a computer tech who knows PC motherboards. The keyboards are standard Fatar waterfall actions, so if you have a moderately knowledgable keyboard tech (or are one yourself), they should be able to address anything like broken keys.

The Mojo sounds amazing. To me, it was worth it to roll the dice and I have been very happy with the instrument and with the relationship I have established with the guys at Crumar.

Just my two cents. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Mitch

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

When they talked about the price in Steve's demo, they said 3500, but that is probably not street price, it's probably MSRP. It's a very limited market for a board like this and they can't come in at 700 more than the SK2 street price.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sure you can. People that are buying the old tonewheels don't care about a warranty.

Who needs a warranty? Hammonds were built like brick sh#t houses! One of the best examples of American over-engineering.... ever!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

For people getting a new organ in this part of the world, I'd say a digital is the first choice, since they're way cheaper than the real thing - and then I would think it's mainly a choice between a Nord and a Hammond-Suzuki.

It seems to me that the Mojo, Hamichord or KeyB sounds more authenic, but they they need to work on their marketing - I think most musicians and even organist still never heard of them. Ok, the name Crumar is known, but I'm not sure everyone have positive memories of Crumar.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Through the kind cooperation of Pablo Mastodon and Richard Friedman from American Music and Sound, I was able to make a direct audio recording of the C2D. Pablo allowed me to plug my Zoom H2 into the mixing board so I could record the organ without all the ambient noise and not be subject to the less than stellar sound system they were using.

Nord C2D Audio Demo

This is pretty much as-is. I edited a little bit to remove some hiss from the recording during the silent bits, but I did not otherwise tweak the audio.

Richard played during the demo, mostly fiddling with the drawbars as he went. He play upper and lower manuals, but no pedals. The second part of the demo is Richard playing to a bass & drum track running off an iPod.

Difficult to tell as he plays mostly fast leslie with a ton of reverb... and the only overdrive I heard was with the leslie on fast during that brief Knife Edge section. Would like to hear more overdrive with Leslie on slow or stop. And definitely more percussion. Would also love to hear full organ with CV on and leslie on fast.... hear how squirelly it sounds...

Through the kind cooperation of Pablo Mastodon and Richard Friedman from American Music and Sound, I was able to make a direct audio recording of the C2D. Pablo allowed me to plug my Zoom H2 into the mixing board so I could record the organ without all the ambient noise and not be subject to the less than stellar sound system they were using.

Nord C2D Audio Demo

This is pretty much as-is. I edited a little bit to remove some hiss from the recording during the silent bits, but I did not otherwise tweak the audio.

Richard played during the demo, mostly fiddling with the drawbars as he went. He play upper and lower manuals, but no pedals. The second part of the demo is Richard playing to a bass & drum track running off an iPod.

Thanks for sharing.But that still isn't the new 122 Simu, is it? If not there's really no point judging it until we hear the real deal.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Per Sweetwater FWIW

Retail Price $4195.00

Sweetwater Savings-$710.00

Shipping Free!

Tech Support Free!

2-Year Warranty Free!

Sale Price:$3485.00

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Most have no interest in a vintage Hammond, unless you own a crane or enjoy playing for your dog, and the churches that do the organ thing already have one, this has appeal and Clavia knows it, and they want to get paid.

But I think we all knew this was going to be expensive, their stuff always is.

What does it cost in Europe I wonder? What is the European version of Sweetwater or Musician's Friend?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Alright, so...

Hammond SK2 - $2850

Mojo - $2899

Nord C2D - $3485

Besides having local dealership i see no point in getting a Nord, you can buy either a SK2 or a Mojo Plus a Ventilator and it'd still be cheaper than the Nord. So to me it's a no deal, UNLESS it's simu is a game changer :snax:

The C2D is a little less money than what I have in my XK3c .... XK33c or whatever I should call it.

But if you bought my rig from Sweetwater today at their price the Hammond would be 4090. C2D and the SK2 are apples and oranges. I don't even see the point in comparing the two.

A Nord equivient to an SK2 would probably cost 6 grand. Clavia likes to charge a lot of money for the right to play more than one sound at a time.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived