Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord C20

dazzjazz

By stark contrast, Dr. Lonnie Smith was playing the SK2 at the Hammond booth through a Leslie 21 system - both halves. Incredibly bass heavy and muddy sounding. Someone needs to tweak the EQ. Does not do Dr. Lonnie any justice (who sounded monster, by the way, despite the sound system issues.

For what it's worth, Scott May is one of the Hammond booth personnel. No further comment.

Are people really this stupid? They don't tweak and tune the instrument's sound and sound reinforcement before they demo them? I learned to do this when I first started playing...

You would think that Lonnie would have sat down and demanded to tweak the sound. I know that Joey D. does this.

But for these manufacturers, NAMM is a huge sellers market.... Why make your instrument sound inferior?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. IIRC, there are rules at trade shows that limit what manufacturers can do as far as volume.

2. Despite that, NAMM is noisy as hell and everything sounds like crap.

3. Lots of times at trade shows you request stuff and get something else. Sorta like backline.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm looking to hear some official sound clips recorded straight off the line out.

So far I'm not too impressed, but then again - both of these clips have pretty lousy sound quality.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'm looking to hear some official sound clips recorded straight off the line out.
You'd think the nord website would have something.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I suspect this board is very last minute, vs. the NP2 which appears to be close to done or done already. Thus, Nord may not have had anything they want to "commit" to (post on their site) until this week, if even that.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just read *another* report that says that the upper panel and manual has been tilted. It would be nice to confirm from someone at NAMM if it is or not. Nord's materials say it is (see link below), the photos don't look like it is.

http://issuu.com/soundtechnology/docs/nordnamm2012/2?mode=a_p

I just read *another* report that says that the upper panel and manual has been tilted. It would be nice to confirm from someone at NAMM if it is or not.

I too would like definite confirmation on this. But since all the sources are from the same Nord blurb, I'm inclined to think that it's a minor translation issue, and that only the panel is tilted, not the manual itself.

Not tilted. Cross posting my pic from the NAMM thread.

[snip]

Did I mention the ratcheted drawbars FTW?

Yes you did! Score one for Nord.

Video, with "price" (Street? MSRP? MAP? if that's street, too high!)

[video:youtube]

It will probably come in at $2,995.

I noticed that all of the videos have Nord spokesmen liberally using the Hammond name. I would think Hammond might take issue with that.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I also heard from Chris Martirano that the updated 122 amp model is not loaded in the demo unit at NAMM. He has heard it and says it sounds great. The updates revolve mostly around the rotary to give a better simulation of moving air, and less so for the type/quality of the overdrive. He told me that this is in response to the Ventilator.

$3500 plus over $2000 for the pedals? Oiy!

And what the deal with the giant black screw holes in the side? Now that's attractive,,,,

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

bass pedals are so expensive aren't they - probably as they sell very few.

I really want a 2 8ve set for gigs but can't afford it...

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Once again - you're thinking US prices. In Europe Nord's pedal cost about half as much ( 1490 =$ 1915) as Hammonds PK-25 ( 2869 =$ 3688), which I see in the US cost just about the same. So in Europe Nord's pedals are among the cheaper ones (but still expensive...).

O also wish I could afford a set of pedals, but even the cheapest I've found, Viscount's midi pedals, found cost around 1200, so the only option I see is to build my own set, which I probably won't do in the near future.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Actually, Dave has the prices about right. Nord pedals here cost around 1300UKP = 2024USD. The C2 here goes for around 2,000UKP and that dollar price for the C2D would bring it in at around 2,250UKP. Unless Nord appreciably drops the price on the C2 (something I can't see happening) I'd be surprised if these models co-exist in the range for very long, despite Nord's protestations.

The Hammond full pedalboard here is around 2300UKP (3600ish US) so it's still about nearly twice the price of the Nord. I suspect the price difference is largely accounted for by the presence of far more wood.

It's difficult to justify either price to complete my XK system and I don't think I'd want to lug either around to most gigs, so my own target is the XPK-200 spinet board. However, I'm still reluctant to pay the 700UKP-plus asking price new so I currently have eBay search strings awaiting the arrival of this rarity on the used market.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Sorry, I was unclear - it was only the pedal board prices I was commenting on.

I wonder when the new XPK-200L will hit the market? It seems it will have longer pedals than the XPK-200, so if they can keep the price down, this might be a winner.

Here's a picture from hammondorgan.com.au:

http://hammondorgan.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/XPK200L.jpg

I'd imagine it would come in about the same price as the Nord, as it looks very similar in its construction. Might be a good compromise but on the other hand, if I'm having problems justifying 700 quid to myself for some pedals...

I'd imagine it would come in about the same price as the Nord, as it looks very similar in its construction. Might be a good compromise but on the other hand, if I'm having problems justifying 700 quid to myself for some pedals...

Again, in the US....

Nord: $5000 +

Hammond A100 and Leslie 122: $2000

Good luck with that church market...

Also, someone above mentions that it has ratcheting drawfaders? This is a good thing? Not where I come from.....

Also, someone above mentions that it has ratcheting drawfaders? This is a good thing? Not where I come from.....

I think it was meant to imply that they click like the real deal. How is that not a good thing?

Again, in the US....

Nord: $5000 +

Hammond A100 and Leslie 122: $2000

Good luck with that church market...

You can't fairly compare new boards with used ones. You might as well say no one should buy a new top of line Hyundai when they can get a used BMW for less, but there are pros and cons. Also, in some parts of the country, used Hammonds are not that easy to come by. They can also be expensive to move, and there is also the question of service/maintenance... not just the possible expense, but whether there is even someone local who can do it.

Unlike a 50 year old A100, a new Nord (or other modern portable, SK2/XK-3c, whatever), at least comes with a warranty. And if you don't care about the warranty, you can buy those cheaper used too, and they are light enough to reasonably ship so you're not limited to what's available in your area, and you can even ship them somewhere for service if need be.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You say "ratchet" to some old Hammond guys and they go crazy.

So how do we describe the click of newer Hammond drawbars as well as most clones?

The "Ratchet" drawbars suck because if you move them whie playing it makes noise as the connections breakup between settings. But if you never want to move drawbars while playing chords it isn't an issue on the old organs.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Oh, I totally get what the problem was for the older organs. My question is, how do we tell people that the Nord C2D drawthingies aren't smooth? They're apparently like newer drawbars in feel when you move them.

RIght, the feel of slight "detents" is a good feature, abrupt noises in the sound is not. From reading this, it sounds like people are saying that the Nord nicely has the detents, whereas the Hammond SK series does not, but both are smooth in how the drawbars/drawfaders affect the sound.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived