Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Major PA upgrade

Aidan

Yes, as long as the ceiling height stays the same! If power per unit volume in your room stays constant, volume stays constant.

(It's not exactly correct since the speakers aren't evenly distributing their audio power in the room...it's exactly correct if your speaker was some sort of 2D plate speaker that covered one wall. But you have the right idea. BTW, about audio dispersion: in general the smaller the speaker cone, the wider the dispersion of the audio. So while 8's will not have as deep a response as 10's do, they will reach a wider angle...a big deal if you're using them as monitors for several musicians!)

The craziness with specs is absurd. My QSC-8's say 1kW on the back...then say it draws 2A through the cord, which would mean 240W.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to relate dB comments to how it related to a real life situation. Obviously, my example isn't exactly translatable since the speakers, if next to the performers would have to reach further in a larger room.

But at least it gives me a non-technical image.

I used a single EV ZXA1 in a venue seating about a 100 people in a lounge setting, with carpeted floors and it was loud enough. At least it was in balance with the other instruments in the band.

All this talk of a lower SPL compared to a QSC had me worried for a moment.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

At least it was in balance with the other instruments in the band.
That's usually all that really matters, anyway. Most bands are way too loud in small venues, and it's OK if they're not so ear-bleeding in larger ones. (Not so much with jazz, thank goodness.) Of course, when the venue is large enough, a full PA is required, in which case it's someone else's problem whether you're loud enough at the back of the room.

If you focus mostly on stage levels (for you as well as your bandmates' ability to hear you), you'll be in the right zone and the rest is FOH's problem.

As said above, getting a 2nd EV raises you 3dB. You'd need to get 3 more to raise it 6dB to match the QSC (assuming the specs are equally conservative, which isn't necessarily the case). Regardless, having a second one gives you more control over where you're distributing the sound, which is a virtue to contrast with the disadvantage of having more gear to move and set up.

Most bands are way too loud in small venues, and it's OK if they're not so ear-bleeding in larger ones. (Not so much with jazz, thank goodness.)

Not just bands--you go into any bar today and the music is cranked up so loud you can't carry on a conversation. Drives me crazy. I'm one of those guys who actually likes to talk with the people he sits with rather than push buttons on a cell phone or stare at a TV. Guess I'm just old fashioned.

I've got a Fri-Sat gig playing lounge/exotica with a 6 piece. The club owner was very clear: keep it soft enough so people can talk. Place is packed most nights--often by kids under 30. I'm hoping it's a trend towards sanity.

Sorry if I derailed the thread. You touched a nerve (many--all connected to my inner ear). As you were, please ignore me.

I totally agree.... Who needs all that blasting music? I played it for years,and now my ears are constantly ringing...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400; Wurlitzer 200; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module

Archived