Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gear you wish you never sold...

rockkeys

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I regret selling my children. But at the time I needed to buy an Andromeda and Voyager.
Don't have any regrets. They were delicious.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Rhodes 73 suitcase with the sparkly silver top.

Dude.....

I know. I know. I was out of my band for about a year and was a poor college student.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I miss my JX-8P once in awhile. It had some phenomenal strings and pad sounds... I even bought the programmer for it.

Didn't sell it though, but gave it to the son of a friend of mine who was getting started with synths. The family didn't have much extra cash and the son was a decent keyboard player. He was really excited at the time. (I guess that must have been at least 16 years ago).

I haven't been in contact with the family in quite awhile and wonder if he still has it.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I regret selling my children. But at the time I needed to buy an Andromeda and Voyager.
Don't have any regrets. They were delicious.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! :D

~~~~~~

I regret selling my JX3P so much that I bought another one years later.

I typically dont sell any gear because by the time I'm done with it, it's not worth anything. I sold my XP50 to Griff just because he was looking for one, but I haven't missed it as I've got a few other workstations to choose from.

Now my '71 Cutlass Convertible, red with a white top...my first car...regret selling that for sure!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

1968 Gibson Les Paul Standard in mint condition with case (sold for $400)

1957 Fender Jazzmaster (sold for $450)

1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb ($300)

ARP 2600 synth ($450)

Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88 ($800)

1920's Mason & Hamlin 7 foot grand piano in good condition (donated away, no space for it)

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

There are a few instruments I have sold that I really wish I could have kept, the first that comes to my mind is the Minimoog model D that I sold back in 1983 for about $300. Then the instrument I really can't forgive myself for selling was the Prophet-5 rev 2 I had for years. I remember I sold it for about $1000, and thought I did good at the time. I believe I sold it to buy a new Akai S-1100 Sampler. Today you can get a sampler like the one I bought for $50, while a good working Prophet is crazy expensive.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

• 2 weeks later...

I just made the most gorgeous synth-string patch known to mankind on it. It's like the clouds of heaven opening up when put through the Eventide SPACE.

please post a link to that patch, or anything else you've done on the A6 BTW 1200 for a prophet 10.....ouch. That would keep me up at night.

Finally got around to posting something with the String Patch of the Gods. This is a work in progress, not anywhere near complete. But you can hear the strings, which I think are beautifully lush. Drums are from the Andromeda, too.

They really get going around the 3:00 mark and again at 4:40.

I really don't have any regrets about any of the gear that I've sold over the years. Each piece of gear was a stepping stone in my musical life.

That being said, my Wavestation EX is the only board that I've ever missed. It was having some issues stemming from missing banks to stuck keys and I ended up selling it to another keys player. There were times that I've wondered if could have just taken it to a local music merchant to get it fixed. It would've been a nice addition to my current rig. Recently, the Triton classic has been filling that void.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

When I was in college, they gave away a bunch of Wurlitzer 200A's they had in the piano lab (replaced them with Casio CZ-101's). I took one because I needed a keyboard to do my composition/arranging homework on.

Used it for two years, and when I graduated I thought it was worthless so I left it behind for the next tenant. :cry:

Cool thing about those keyboards was that they still made sound when the power went out!

Then, when I was married to the first ex, we needed money and I drove down to Rayburn Music in Boston and sold my Selmer Mark VI Tenor Saxophone to Emilio Lyons for $1750 (in 1992). That sax, which is not replaceable, would be worth at least three times that much today, but more importantly I haven't been able to find a tenor that approaches it in tone.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I miss my Ensoniq TS-10 dearly. Way ahead of its time. I sold it to finance getting a laptop, but I did make a nice profit on it, (Bought for $250 at Daddy's {RIP), sold on eBay for around $1000.)

I also miss my Casio CZ-1. The input kept cutting in and out, and I just didn't have the time or the patience to fix it.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I regret selling my DX-7 for about 300 bucks back in the nineties.

That's a good sell, honestly. DX7s are far from rare, and you can buy one now in mint condition for that much or less. With inflation taken into account, you made about 40% more, give or take, than it's actually worth. Not too shabby.

Of course, that doesn't take into account any time you might have spent programming it.

I regret selling my Juno 106....twice. It's not a huge bummer in the overall scheme of things, because they don't command a high dollar value compared to most analog synths, but it's one of my favorite synths. Not incredibly versatile, but it's just got that sound. Why I bought one, sold it, bought another, and then sold that one is beyond me. I needed some other stuff, and I guess it made sense at the time.

I regret doing wheelies with my 65 vette at the park, in the parking lot and tearing of the rear corner panel against a fence post, back in 78.

I also regret getting my trinity ripped off 6 years ago and buyying this crappy tr 76, the keybed sucks.

I did play a used triton extreme 76 at GC yesterday and loved the playability of it's keybed.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I don't regret any music gear I let go. Most was donated or given away -- I tend to hold on to stuff until it's nearly worthless. (I was surprised to hear what people are paying for JX10's these days!)

I did have a near-miss. In 1985 I went abroad for 6 months. I left my 1977 Rhodes Stage 73 at a shop on consignment for $300. When I got back, it hadn't sold. Only later did I realize what a mistake that would have been.

I do wish I still had a bicycle I let go a decade ago. Nothing special, but it'll cost more to replace it.

I regret doing wheelies with my 65 vette at the park, in the parking lot and tearing of the rear corner panel against a fence post, back in 78.

Unless it was a Funny Car, I doubt you were doing "wheelies" - which is the act of lifting the front tires off the ground. Maybe you were doing "cookies" or "donuts" where you turn the wheels to one side and let 'er rip in circles. In either case, this is a criminal way to treat a '65 Corvette and you didn't deserve the car in the first place.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I go by what everybody who was there said

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Speaking of things I wish I did not sell is this organ and cabinet. I did not care about the cabinet that much but the console was worth more than I sold it for. I went back in forth with so many people and tire kickers about this pair. I needed the money really but it went to someone in Toronto, Canada who is a piano tuner and likes rebuilding Hammonds.

http://i39.tinypic.com/23hk18x.jpg

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

When I was in college, they gave away a bunch of Wurlitzer 200A's they had in the piano lab.....

Then, when I was married to the first ex, we needed money and I drove down to Rayburn Music in Boston and sold my Selmer Mark VI Tenor Saxophone to Emilio Lyons for $1750 (in 1992). That sax, which is not replaceable, would be worth at least three times that much today....

I remember Rayburn Music, I bought a drum stool there once, used it for years as a keyboard stool. I've been avoiding responding to this thread b/c it's too painful to remember, but here goes:

Rhodes Stage 73--I'll never own up to what little I sold it for in the early '90's. Wurlitzer 200A--I used mine for a hotel room practice kybd., that might be the one I'd still most like to own. Original Mini-Moog (actually, it was really heavy, & the oscillators wouldn't stay in tune, & I broke even in the '70's on the one I had). ARP Odyssey. D6 Clav--I actually got very good $$ for that one, & almost never used it, it was more the "idea" of it, & how cool it was, & yet I miss it. A Fender Twin--that might be the worst one for me--I sold it in the '80's, before most people knew how great the "old stuff" was. And for way too little $.

Gear I'm pretty OK with selling: A mint condition DX-7 I sold on feebay for $400. Only problem, I didn't have the orig. box. And had to "make" a giant box, & pack it, during a brutal heat wave. Actually, I should've kept that one too....

Archived