Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gear you wish you never sold...

rockkeys

I was one of the first to buy an Alesis Andromeda. I sold it after a few months of noodling with the presets without giving it enough time to realize it's true potential. Why did I ever sell it? I never realized until now how amazing that keyboard is. Please share stories of regret.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regrets....I've had a few... oh wait!

No regrets regarding gear sales; they were the move I needed to make at the time. As for the musuem I would have had to open had I kept everything...

Believe it or not, I'd like to revisit my:

CP30

Arp ProSolosi

Roland RS09 (with Ibanez Parametric EQ pedal)

my original 1976 Suitcase Rhodes

Roland D550

one of my Roland JD800s

my Hammondstore B3 chop and a leslie

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Alpine White Gibson EDS-1275 and a Tobacco Sunburst ES-175.

As far as keys maybe the Hohner D6 but tuning it was sort of a pain. I mostly wish I had sold more keys rather than keeping around as backups.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've had my A6 up for sale twice in the last year. Each time I pull it before it's sold or even has any offers on it. I can't sell it. It's just too special of a synth.

I just made the most gorgeous synth-string patch known to mankind on it. It's like the clouds of heaven opening up when put through the Eventide SPACE.

One of my biggest gear regrets isn't anything that I sold, but something I didn't buy. In 2000, I found a mint Prophet-10 in the back of a used music store in Ann Arbor for $1200. I should've nabbed that. It was sweet.

I just made the most gorgeous synth-string patch known to mankind on it. It's like the clouds of heaven opening up when put through the Eventide SPACE.

please post a link to that patch, or anything else you've done on the A6 BTW 1200 for a prophet 10.....ouch. That would keep me up at night.

Easy... I wish I still had these excellent instruments...

In the 70's I sold:

1957 Hammond C3 and leslie 122RV for $800! (oiy!)

Mini Moog in mint condition for $800

Clavinet D6 in mint condition for $500

Wurlitzer 200 for $500

Rhodes Stage 76 for $300

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

In the 70's I sold:

Wurlitzer 200 for $500

Rhodes Stage 76 for $300

Ha,- it also drives me nuts I sold my Clavinet D6,- custom modified,- and w/ a custom made flightcase for DM 400.- (EUR 200.- today) mid 80th ...

And my Moog Taurus I incl. a super reliable pedal contact mod and custom flighcase for DM 600.- (EUR 300.- today) ...

Soundwise, I didn´t regret I sold my Rhodes mk II,- but it was a unique piece of gear, the inner piano built directly INTO a flightcase so it was much more lightweight and compact because the heavier original case was obsolete then,- and it offered a stable wooden flat-top, the flightcase shielded w/ copper-foil.

I also regret selling 2 SCI Prophet 5 rev. 3 w/ MIDI,- I better had sold only one and kept the other which was custom modified too.

Most I regret I sold my Fender Rhodes mkI Stage73 build 1971 (buyed new in 1972),- it sounded awesome but was beaten up after 15 years of heavy usage.

It had some mods like optimized action, preamp, 3-band active EQ, copper-foil shielding and I had a extra flightcase ...

It survived 2 heavy truck crashes the roadcrew had in different years because of glaze.

If I´d get it back today and w/ all the availablity of replacement-parts now,- that would be great.

I sold 2 Minimoog D too,- not a drama because I have one left up today,- but if I start thinking about all the money I´d get for this vintage gear today, it drives me crazy.

A.C.

I generally don't have attachment to gear, unless it was a gift/present from my wife. That being said, I wish I still had my OB-8. That was one beautiful-sounding synth.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The only real "seller remorse" I have is for the Rhodes Chroma. Selling it was the rational thing to do at the time, but I had developed a relationship with the instrument, and I wish I could have it back - *with* the patches I had spent countless hours to program.

Since 2009 I'm toying with the idea of selling my Andromeda, but like Jim, I just haven't been able to let it go. I could use some extra dimes in my pocket in these hard times, and I'm not totally in love with its sound - but at the same time, I know I would regret selling it... it's just so *big* with possibilities.

In the 70's I sold:

Wurlitzer 200 for $500

Rhodes Stage 76 for $300

:freak::freak::freak::freak::freak::freak:

Arp Solina. I GAVE IT AWAY. WTF was I thinking? At least I gave it to a bandmate and good friend.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I regret selling my DX-7 for about 300 bucks back in the nineties.

The action was still smooth as silk when I sold it- just as good as the day I bought it back in 86.

I always loved that famous Rhodes patch.

It would have made a nice little practice keyboard to set up next to my laptop to do transcriptions.

On the other hand I sold my Memorymoog for 2k 10 years ago and never regretted it.

Right now I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on selling my S-90es. Since I've gotten the Nord Electro 3 I haven't taken it to a gig in 2 years and only set it up once.

To transport it I have to put the front seat in my car all the way back and load it in like a giant coffin. That sh*t gets old real fast when you are in your fifties.

I actually like the way the piano sounds in my live recordings better on the Electro 3 than the famous first patch on the S90es.

And then there's the 20 lb. carrying weight........

1- Farfisa Compact Organ

2, Yamaha CP70 owned by Louisiana LeRoux

3.1971 Fender Precision Bass w/case sold for $100

4.Hohner Key Bass

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I generally don't have attachment to gear, unless it was a gift/present from my wife. That being said, I wish I still had my OB-8. That was one beautiful-sounding synth.

Understandable you liked it soundwise !

I had a OB-8 w/MIDI before I buyed the Xpander which I still own.

I toured w/ the OB-8 several years in germany and UK but it was, unfortunately, not that reliable than it had to be for that purpose.

Because of it´s size and the thin metal sheet housing, the case bended when moved, even in a flightcase, which had influence on contacts inside and on the circuit boards and it was very sensitive on power quality.

I lost patches and suffered from blown power regulators followed by damaged RAM.

It also crashed on me during a concert tour gig in UK in 1986 w/ a screaming sound and all notes hanging,- I was happy I had a volume pedal connected to shut it off before I had to reboot.

Since I was able to re-program my most used signature sounds in my Xpander, having both side-by-side w/ earphones, I was relatively happy to get rid of it.

In the studio, it was a killer sounding machine since it had the Page-2 OS update.

With the Xpander and Matrix-1000 together w/ my overhauled Oberheim XK MIDI-keyboard incl. a more stable PSU, I´m done since decades and have the OB-8 arpeggiator and Oberheim levers included plus velocity sensitive keyboard and 3-Zone MIDI.

So, I didn´t regret selling it and that´s why it´s not on the list in my post above.

A.C.

I think there are others but these are the first that come to mind. ..

Sequential Circuits Pro One

Ensoniq DP4+

Ensoniq VFX-SD

Yamaha AN-200

Kawai K5000R

Korg 01/W

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Now that I have spent so much money trying to recreate the vintage sounds, I kinda wish I'd kept everything!

But definately my ARP Odyssey, Rhodes, Clav D6, B3-122.....yeah pretty much everything!

Because of it´s size and the thin metal sheet housing, the case bended when moved, even in a flightcase, which had influence on contacts inside and on the circuit boards and it was very sensitive on power quality.

I lost patches and suffered from blown power regulators followed by damaged RAM.

The OB-8 sure was large/awkward, although not nearly as heavy as one might expect given its size. Never had a problem with mine, but I was transporting it myself to local gigs.....no touring.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I had to sell my MiniMoog D (serial # 6450) back in the early 80's to help pay for school. Would kill to have it back, but I make do with a Voyager...I also sold a CS-80 a few years ago because I couldn't deal with the maintenance issues, but I would have gotten 3X as much for it if I had waited.

Korg Trinity with a Moss board 61 key. I got another and the latency was terrible and sounds so so, but I am certain had I held onto it I would have used it to the point of being Eno on a DX-7. I have recordings from when I had it and I was getting great sounds out of it. When I recently got a hold of one I realized that the ten years I gave it up could not be made up.

I did regret selling my Nord Electro2 and Nord Lead 2 (to the same guy no less) after years of hard use So... i bought them back a year later (actually i traded them for a Nord Stage 73 compact)! Those two are staying with me forever.

I regret i tried to sell my PortaB-Leslie-but thankfully i didn't. When a serious seller was ringing the phone i would rise the price up, so i would make the transaction irrational. Deep down inside i didn't want to sell - so i kept it in my studio.

I really regret I sold a Suitcase Rhodes. It needed a lot of work and I had no time to do it. The guy who bought it, did the hole work (tines etc) and brought it back to life. I also regret i sold my Yamaha SY35 - for purely sentimental reasons. I should have kept it in a closet, but I needed the money. But generally i don't regret seeling gear 'cause every time I do so it's for two reasons a) need the money for a new purchase or b) I don't play/use the instrument at all...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

The only gear i ever regret selling was this drumkit. Sold it because I needed money for college books.

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/thesupertonics/images/ludwigs1.jpg

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Archived