Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif Rack ES in a live setting (using QS8 as a controller)

Skinny

Can anyone here provide any info on using a Motif Rack ES live? Is it a pain in the rear to change sounds (or setups, or performances) on a live gig?

I'm thinking of using an Alesis QS8 as a controller. The QS8 appeals to me, because I think the action is a good compromise for piano and non-piano sounds. Also, the assignable sliders and the footswitch jacks would be nice, too, methinks.

Does anyone know if a QS8/Motif Rack ES combo would be a decent setup?

Stuff and things.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used an ES-Rack in the studio for about two years, not familiar with the QS8. - - here's my 2cents - - ES has unbelievably awesome sounds, but not necessarily something to program easily on the fly, if you need that on your gig. B

If you have planned out set lists, or at least you can pre-set all your patches and performances for your arrangements, this might work out great for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, radd.

I would do all programming at home, no need to do any programming on the fly. Mostly what I'm concerned about is switching performances during the show - how much button-pressing is involved with that?

Stuff and things.

If you're only using the QS8 as a midi keyboard - why don't you just let it send program changes? Then you just select on the numeric buttons on the QS8 and the ES will hopefully follow.

I'm not sure about the Motif, but many romplers let you set a midi channel for choosing performances with midi program changes.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'm shooting from the hip a little here, but i'm pretty you have a few really good options.

1. it can be done from the buttons on the QS8 as Mr Tobbe says

2. if you are able to put your performances in order of your sets or show, you can set up a pedal on the QS8 to send a "program up" command, and just change performances with your foot.

3. is it possible to have the ES close by - - it's actually not too hard to hit the "up" button on the front panel . .

Good luck!

2. if you are able to put your performances in order of your sets or show, you can set up a pedal on the QS8 to send a "program up" command, and just change performances with your foot.

Our setlists change from show to show, so it would be difficult to program my sounds in order...

3. is it possible to have the ES close by - - it's actually not too hard to hit the "up" button on the front panel . .

That's what I was thinking of doing, if I couldn't do it from the QS8. I didn't know if it was as simple as pressing "up", or if there was a lot more button pressing involved.

Stuff and things.

Archived