Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ABACAB chart

nosilla

Hey guys, my band is pushing me to learn ABACAB and I love the song but am not sure I want to invest the time to learn it.

Not that I'm lazy!! But I do work two jobs, etc. Does anyone have a chart of this monster tune? OR know where I can buy one?

Any help appreciated!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sheet music probably isn't accurate so you'll most likely have to invest the time anyway.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

My Genesis Tribute Band: www.sellingfairfaxbythepound.com

...the hard part is just remembering where each one goes in such a long but basically featureless song.

Hence, writing it out in sections with letters designating each section, then writing out the letters in a format like, A, B, A, C....

aw, shit, I helped. :)

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Hence, writing it out in sections with letters designating each section, then writing out the letters in a format like, A, B, A, C....

HA!!

Not a hard song to play. Actually had fun playing this in a band back in the mid 80's.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

...the hard part is just remembering where each one goes in such a long but basically featureless song.

Do you have keyboard tab too? :laugh:

but am not sure I want to invest the time to learn it.

Here you go, a tutorial for you that's right up your alley. :thu:

[video:youtube]

Play it like this and you won't have to worry about your bandmates asking you for new songs anymore, and you can just focus on your two day jobs. :cool:

Yea, he's playing with the track, but it looks close enough [video:youtube]

Originally a Prophet-10 replaces the Hammond organ. The organ sound is produced by tuning the Prophet's four oscillators in octaves (sometimes adding a fifth) and cutting highs and lows with the built in EQ. The output then goes through an MXR phaser and Boss chorus.

The Abacab sound consists of a Quadra's duophonic lead section layered on top of the polysynth section with distortion.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

but am not sure I want to invest the time to learn it.

Here you go, a tutorial for you that's right up your alley. :thu:

[video:youtube]

Play it like this and you won't have to worry about your bandmates asking you for new songs anymore, and you can just focus on your two day jobs. :cool:

If you close your eyes you'd swear it was Tony Banks playing.

First reply to you above answers your question, yet you continue to ask for it and blame "us" for not providing it? I suspect that anyone here that plays it doesn't have it written out more than that link (I bet Tony Banks doesn't either).

But, I guess since you don't want to hang around us "egomaniacs and haters" any more, you'll never see this and realize you looked right over the answer.

:wave:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Allison,

It's much easier just to learn the thing by ear and with that video of the guy playing the dueling Rolands you can see what he is doing in most of it. Why fight it? It is just a whole bunch of easy parts. The hardest thing is that eighth note arpeggio up/down type thing that is a lot of notes and you can't really see in the video, just use your ear for that one section. The bass line is dead simple, it is a rip off of Jump's bass line. What more can you ask for in a song?

I loved this song when I was 12. I also loved Gallagher and his Sledge-o-Matic back then too.

Peace,

D

Allison,

When someone provides the complete answer to your question in less than 4 minutes, the rest of the replies you receive are just a bonus. If you don't want to spend $4.95 to buy the sheet music (which you can download immediately), then call us egomaniacs and haters, then say you're leaving in a huff...well, seems like the two-job thing is eroding your social graces.

Best of luck to you,

T

I admit that does not sound good. Actually I would LOVE to have the time to invest in learning it, but I have to work two jobs - hello - REALITY:????? If you can help me, imagine the karma points!!!

The reality is, in the time it took you to go all psycho on us, you probably could have learned it yourself by ear.

But then I'm an eager hatomaniac, so what do I know? ;)

I admit that does not sound good. Actually I would LOVE to have the time to invest in learning it, but I have to work two jobs - hello - REALITY:????? If you can help me, imagine the karma points!!!
I'm curious what you do with your free time when you're not working two jobs? I'd say most people interested in keyboards here try to become better players by practicing, transcribing and working hard; not wining that anonymous people at a music blog won't do your work. I'll bet there are people here who make money as transcribers, who would be happy to write it out for $$$$.

It reminds on the slackers I have to watch at my (one) day job who do the minimum to get by.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I had to learn Abacab for my weekend band when I was a full time college student AND working a 2nd job. You remind me of too many students in my class who were "too lazy to learn college" on their own who never got any help from me. Your ineptitude is an insult to my intelligence and hard work.

I used to play ABACAB in high school on an Odyssey.

The hardest thing about the tune is remembering all the little parts at the end.

I really hate that song now.

I think if you can learn Mary Had A Little Ham, you're halfway there.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived