Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Bob Brookmeyer

linwood

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just got home from a friend's ( pupi campo) service. Pupi was 91 and passed away earlier this week. For me it was plenty sad. (Btw....That's Pupi's daughter, Cathi, singing that I'll be Home for Xmas that I posted in the other thread.....)

Here's a taste of Bob's last one, Mark.

http://www.artistshare.com/projects/project_experience.aspx?ProjectID=409&artistID=22&salesTypeID=6

I'm never sad when someone dies over 80. Would it of been less sad if he was 100? Of course, it's sad for his family. Long live his legacy for the rest of us.

No, that's wrong. There are people who are creative to the last moment. Life is never too much for them. I get this as I grow older myself (now 43 y.o.)....

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I'm never sad when someone dies over 80. Would it of been less sad if he was 100? Of course, it's sad for his family. Long live his legacy for the rest of us.

No, that's wrong. There are people who are creative to the last moment. Life is never too much for them. I get this as I grow older myself (now 43 y.o.)....

Agree.

I am always sad when people I know and respect pass away--regardless of age and my relationship to them. Everybody has their time to leave the living--some sooner than others. I want to be one of the creative ones that are active right up to the moment I pass away.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Agree.

I am always sad when people I know and respect pass away--regardless of age and my relationship to them. Everybody has their time to leave the living--some sooner than others. I want to be one of the creative ones that are active right up to the moment I pass away.

Of course I wish them the longest life possible but if I know them only by their accomplishments and they're over 80, I'll say a prayer but I won't send a card.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Tremendous influence on so many arrangers. Sad news.

Most definitely ! Bill Dobbins, Marie Schneider, Vince Mendoza, Bob Mintzer just to name a few that pop right into my head.

Man drummer Michael Stephans is going to be devastated-they were tight. I had to privilege of playing many of BB's charts and compositions through the years. No matter how deep and complex the arrangements got, he always left space open in the blowing for the guys. He didn't like things to be too arranged in the solos. He told me one time he still wanted his stuff to have that "street feeling" and not sound too academic. VERY deep cat yet very humble...like most great Jazz artists.

Thanks Linwood & Mark. Man that sounds beautiful !

Archived