Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

piano/weighted action usb keyboard. less than 88 keys

danimuschi

subject says it...

My touring equipment is always in all over the place: studios, rehearsal spaces, storage, vans etc. I need a small controller with nice action to play around with at home. I could probably do with a weighted action, but I'd love piano like action. I don't really want 88 keys as it's to big for my use. Mod wheels and a couple of knobs and fader would be cool...

What's out there? This is totally new to me since my touring rig many consists of Rhodes, Voyager, LittlePhatty, Motif, Clavia C1 and a bunch of vintage stuff...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to piano-suitable actions, I think the only sub-88 controllers around are the Studiologic VMK-176 Plus and the Infinite Response VAX77. Unless you want a full instrument (not just a controller), then there are some other possibilities. There are far more 88 key options than 73/76 key ones.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

CME makes a gazillion of them, but the status of that company has come into question recently (though several websites are full of their models, so they may be had on the cheap at this point).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I need a small controller with nice action... I'd love piano like action. I don't really want 88 keys as it's to big for my use. Mod wheels and a couple of knobs and fader would be cool...

What's your budget?

The Nord Electro 3 HP doesn't have mod wheels, but it does have hammer action, 73 keys, and vintage sounds. It weighs less than 25 pounds.

And a USB Interface and it makes a great solution for the needs you described.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The VMK-176 is a very nice board, 73-keys, good action, etc. EXCEPT that it takes a few moments - (up to 5-8 seconds) to switch between set-ups which can be an eternity in a live situation.

I was using one to control a Nord Electro2 Rack and a Roland module. Except for that one gripe, it was great. I had to send it back, though - I often have to switch patches in the middle of tunes and even in the middle of a line and cannot have such a long lag time.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

thing is: I'm all good with the sounds. I own everything the Electro is trying to be and I have roadies when I'm touring, so I don't really need an Electro even though it's a nice board. All i want is a controller with good keys. And I don't need 88 keys for the work i do at home. 61 would do actually.

I was even considering a use Ensoniq KS32 if I can find one.

I'll look into suggestions above

Archived