Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best gear bag for power supplies, pedals, cords?

Lord_Nord

I use one of these ... cost me roughly $30 at Lowes. The lower compartment (under the tray) holds all my pedals, cables, power cords, etc. The tray carries a couple of tools, a couple of mics, IEM body pack and ear buds, flashlight, etc.

There are a couple of small "snap lid" compartments in the tray itself that I use for earplugs, batteries,etc. There are accessible "fishing lure" compartments on the outside of the lid as well. I store batteries, pens, velcro ties, etc. - in them. The handle extends so it rolls easily. It's sturdy enough to sit on. I often tuck it against the side of my keyboard stand on stage - where it serves as a low table to set a beverage on.

I actually bought three of 'em - one serves as my "misc" case for my keyboard rig, one as the "misc" case for my PA & Lights, and one (with tray permanently removed) holds all my speaker cables. They've been in service in my rig for roughly 5 years without any problems.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj251/spacenorman/PICT0065-1-1.jpg

The SpaceNorman :freak:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Army surplus stores are your friend.

This.

Many years ago I picked up one of those padded bags pilots carry helmets in. I think I paid $10 or so for it. It holds a ridiculous amount of crap, more than one would think, and nothing on it has never torn or broken. I can't say that about any commercial duffel/backpack/etc. I've owned over the years. Makes the best combo preamp pedal carry bag evah. :)

Surplus stores often have all kinds of fun stuff...used to frequent them. I knew of tons of them back in Michigan, there used to be a really cool one in Lansing I used to hit up a lot, and a super-funky big one in Coloma that had all manner of oddball stuff. Oddly we don't have one around here that I know of, sad that. Rugged if utilitarian-looking gear for peanuts...what's not to love?

TP

Sorry to OT but dude, i just noticed Mt Horeb.....I grew up in Fond du Lac. :wave:

I have a few suggestions that might be a little different from the previous ones.

1.) A tool chest makes a surprisingly good and sturdy organizer, and has many different compartments.

2.) A backpack. Wait...come back!! I'm not insane. :D

- A backpack frees up your hands

- A backpack can also be a great organizer, particularly if it's made for people like photographers. Thinktank makes fantastic backpacks and cases and other carrying items and organizers for photographers, including A/V guys, and it might work really well for you too.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

Army surplus stores are your friend.

This.

Many years ago I picked up one of those padded bags pilots carry helmets in. I think I paid $10 or so for it. It holds a ridiculous amount of crap, more than one would think, and nothing on it has never torn or broken. I can't say that about any commercial duffel/backpack/etc. I've owned over the years. Makes the best combo preamp pedal carry bag evah. :)

Surplus stores often have all kinds of fun stuff...used to frequent them. I knew of tons of them back in Michigan, there used to be a really cool one in Lansing I used to hit up a lot, and a super-funky big one in Coloma that had all manner of oddball stuff. Oddly we don't have one around here that I know of, sad that. Rugged if utilitarian-looking gear for peanuts...what's not to love?

TP

Sorry to OT but dude, i just noticed Mt Horeb.....I grew up in Fond du Lac. :wave:

Nice! Of course, I'm a transplant from MI (been here since 2002) but WI gets into your blood pretty quickly. Eat a couple cheese curds, and a brat, and drink a brandy old fashioned and you're stuck. :D

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I use a plastic box, the kind that you get to put the childrens toys in. Any spares or oddments I'll only use occasionally go into a recyclable shopping bag which sits on top of the cables.

When I get to the gig I take out the shopping bag and put it to one side, and then all the cables that I will actually use are right in front of me, so I know when I've plugged everything in (I have a tendency to connect everything except one power cord, or one audio cable, or one midi cable, which I don't discover till I start powering up and testing).

At the end of the gig anything unused in the box goes into the bag and I'm ready for the next gig.

The plastic box is strong enough to put the monitor on if I need it closer.

John

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

There are bags for this purpose. You want to have a look on google for studio backpacks, or DJ cases. Some makes I know of are "Fusion bags", m-audio do a huge backpack which i have, and is good! ... monocases do quite a few although pricey.

Also, consider buying large pencil cases and stuff like that, it could be a smart way to keep some stuff separate.

Archived