Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Henry Rollins on the state of music today

Tenstrum

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who is Henry Rollins and why should I care?

Why care about Wooten? Or Jaco? Or Graham? Or Jermerson? Or Clarke? Or Leo Fender, for that matter?

He had a significant part to play, for a significant amount of time in his genre. Apparently, he still performs. And in some small aspect, still relevent.

Does he have ANY influence or effect on me? Nope. Not even a little bit. Hell, he's not even a bassist. He spent five years fronting a punk band and evolved into a "poet".

Every year, BPM features about 12 bassists that I find are not influential to me. Doesn't make them irrelvent. I don't have a lot of use for this month's "third world prodigy" or "_ - core" guy with face paint, full body tats and a single name with a lot of "x's" or "z's" or "k's" in it. If I claim to be a student of the instrument, then I had best find out why the are relevent. If my goal is to do cover tunes at the local watering hole two nights a month, then probably not so much.

It kills me that this has gotten almost as much milage as the Adam Clayton article a couple of years back. And we all pretty much decreed Adam to be a technically challenged root whore with no intrisic musical abilty or Michael Anthony's ability to solo on the open E.

To paraphrase an old quote: "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to appear in court for copyright infringment" or something like that.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Ah the good old days.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2011/12/20/4/enhanced-buzz-18711-1324375043-5.jpg

Hmmm... I don't remember being there.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

that's around the way for me. i went to school at msu.

He doesn't care about me so why should I care about him?

that's intellectually and spiritually lazy. it's your prerogative not to care about henry rollins as a person and not to care about the ideas he has advanced about the music industry. i care, because i care about people, and i want to hear and discuss ideas about things that are important to me.

it's not his fault you don't care. besides which, it is a false assumption that he doesn't care about you. and even if he didn't care about you, it's still your prerogative whether you care.

People don't wear Black Flag t-shirts as often as they seem to get Black Flag tattoos.

There's more to say in regards to all of the responses in this thread, but, honestly, I'm too cool to be bothered. Or I'm too old. You can decide for yourself. I need a nap.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I think he was being ironic about the exchange above him, Robb.

maybe. i could certainly stand to relax the polemic tone of my words, too.

i think J and i have enough of a history here and in real life to share mutual respect even when we disagree. i won't hesitate to call him the next time i'm in the bay area, and i assume he won't screen my call, either.

No problem here.

Mr. Rollins and I live in entirely different worlds. I do know who he is and I listened to his speech that started this thread. He presents his ideas well but I don't agree with him on a lot of things (and do on some others). I don't think that he would be too sympathetic to my musical career.

I think he was being ironic about the exchange above him, Robb.

maybe. i could certainly stand to relax the polemic tone of my words, too.

Was it polemically sent? I wanna know what you meant! :D

Don't tell me no one got this... :freak:

I wanna know. I wanna know what you meant. Yeah.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

No problem here.

Mr. Rollins and I live in entirely different worlds. I do know who he is and I listened to his speech that started this thread. He presents his ideas well but I don't agree with him on a lot of things (and do on some others). I don't think that he would be too sympathetic to my musical career.

While you guys come from vastly different backgrounds, I don't think Rollins has a problem with regular working musicians/music teachers/session players. I always got the impression that he had a lot of respect for talent and hard work, so I don't see how he'd be unsympathetic to your career... unless you were in a boy band or a corporate rock band at some point in the '90s. I kind of picture you as the "bad boy" type in N'Sync.

Just kidding. You're more of the clean-cut type.

Henry usually speaks out against the generally messed-up nature of the music industry and artists who seem (in his estimation) to be overly/falsely packaged for saleability to target demographics. Like you, I don't agree with everything he says, but all I got from his little speech (which he's been making along much the same lines for what seems like 20 years, by the way) was that he thinks the mainstream music industry sucks, he misses the old days when the bands seemed more "dangerous" and he's more excited about underground acts than anything else out there. Again, this is the same thing he's been saying for ages. Henry might be a little senile... he's really repeating himself a lot.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I kind of picture you as the "bad boy" type in N'Sync.

Oh, man. Someone (kenfxj?) needs to post this picture...

Agreed. Think of it as a lovely Channukah gift for Jeremy. Or for the rest of us.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Looks like a regular ol' picture of N'Sync to me.... Timberlake seems to be thinning a little on top.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

No problem here.

While you guys come from vastly different backgrounds, I don't think Rollins has a problem with regular working musicians/music teachers/session players. I always got the impression that he had a lot of respect for talent and hard work, so I don't see how he'd be unsympathetic to your career... unless you were in a boy band or a corporate rock band at some point in the '90s. I kind of picture you as the "bad boy" type in N'Sync.

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/3me.JPG

Push the button Frank.

Archived