Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noobish questions

Dannyalcatraz

Timbuk 3 recorded a live drummer and bassist, but onstage they put that cassette into a boom box and ran it into the PA... at least before they had a big hit (it was their gimmick) but they were using a full band almost immediately from what I recall, probably due to the differences in playing a small club for 100 people and a bigger theater for thousands because of a hit single.

Years ago I had just recorded basic tracks for a record when my drummer split with shows scheduled starting that weekend, so I just had the engineer mix the drums and burn them on a disc and drug along my big practice P.A. and stacked it up onstage where the drums would've been and played the drum tracks as loud as live drums and pulled it off. People dug it... it sounded better than the live kits the other acts on the bills were using, and it didn't feel that strange for me, though the bassist was kind of self-conscious about it.

The market has demanded lower wattage/volume amps... 15-20 watts is the magic range these days. How long before drums and cymbals get regulated a bit?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived