Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One chapter closes, a new one starts....

NoahZark

I took a new job at work back in May, which has resulted in considerably more travel and less time with the family. As a result, something had to give, and, in my case, it was my band. I agreed to play out our gigs through the end of this year (the last one of which is this Saturday night), and then I'm hanging it up. It's sad to see it end because I've enjoyed the musical outlet and because we've gotten ourselves into a regular rotation at a couple of decent bars in our area, but work and family priorities really left no choice.

In the meantime, since there's no giving up on music, and since I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket from selling my motorcycle earlier this summer, I decided that I needed something to add some spice to my home studio. I've always wanted to learn synth programming, and I found an absolutely SCREAMING DEAL on Craigslist for these bad boys:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/noah822/DSC_1161.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/noah822/DSC_1162.jpg

Five voices of poly-chained analog goodness and lots of knobbage (and a software editor) to make life easier for the synth neophyte! :thu:

So, it seems there's still plenty of musical fun in my future, even if, for the time being, it's of the home studio variety. :cool:

Noah

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent. Just because you are not in a band (for a bit of time) does not mean you need to play any less. Home studio time is great. Especially with inspiring new toys! Hope the new job is working out. Sorry about the less time with family, that's tough.

Noah, congrats on the new position at work (I recall you contemplating it back in May). Hopefully, you and the family will continue making that adjustment.

From what I saw, your bandmates seem like very cool cats, so I believe they understand and respect your decision to step down.

The home studio will keep you connected musically. Have a blast with those new toys. :thu:

Being able to spend time with the family and make funny noises in your man cave/studio sounds like a win-win. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yep, just a new chapter for you Noah and I'm sure you'll thrive! Our bass player had to leave for the same reasons, but he has no studio/gearhead outlet. I feel bad for him, he didn't want to leave and really had no choice.

I didn't know you sold your bike! I got a new one... traded my Vulcan in and got a '11 Concours 14ABS sport tourer.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Excellent. Just because you are not in a band (for a bit of time) does not mean you need to play any less.

Home studio time is great. Especially with inspiring new toys!

Dead right - I often find 'doing my own thing' can be more productive & satisfying.

Other musos getting in the way can be a P.I.T.A.!

Good luck - & post any results when you've got something to show for it?

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Dead right - I often find 'doing my own thing' can be more productive & satisfying.

I hope this is how it plays it in my case as well. I tend to get lazy musically if I don't have a specific project to keep me focused on learning new stuff and practicing, so I need to work some discipline in my new world. The new toys should help.

Those things look compact enough that they could easily go with you on your travels.

Hadn't even thought about that, Moe! The prospect of tossing either of these things into my roll-aboard when I'm on the road is a pretty intriguing idea. Thanks.

Noah

1. God

2. Family

3. Job

4. Band

Sometimes, something has to give. Congrats on the new chapter/gear acquisition, Noah!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

1. God

2. Family

3. Job

4. Band

Sometimes, something has to give.

I know which one I'd strike from the list first...

:cop:

So do I..... http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/jpscoey/th_utddevil.png :wave:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

1. God

2. Family

3. Job

4. Band

Sometimes, something has to give.

I know which one I'd strike from the list first...

:cop:

Yeah, I was also going to put "Country" on the list but didn't want to push my luck..... :D;)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, I was also going to put "Country" on the list but didn't want to push my luck..... :D;)
:laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived