Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rubber Baby Leslie Amp Bumpers

Joe Muscara

As I was installing the 47 amp in my Leslie 45 to replace the original connector kit, I realized that it has a set of bumpers or shock mounts on one end of the amp, but the ones on the other end are missing. No bracket, just two holes on the main chassis.

My question is, do I need to be concerned about this? Are the shock mounts for transport or are they needed when I use the Leslie as well? I don't plan on moving it very often if ever.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe, I am guessing that those rubber washers (shock mounts) are there because the amp is a tube amp (valve amp for my EU friends).

KLONK

I think that tubes, as they age, can get microphonic. They can pick up vibrations and sound.

So I expect to keep noise - or even feedback - down, the designers felt that these isolation measures would help.

Of course, if the amp was solid state, there wouldn't be a need for this.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom, yeah, that's what I'm asking. Note in the cap'n foldback pics the mounts and bumpers are on the front and back. I'm missing a set.

Right now, all the tubes are either new or NOS, so they hopefully wouldn't get microphonic for a long while.

I'm wondering if I need to get a bracket somewhere.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I recommend adding the rubber grommets for reasons stated above, as well as to reduce vibration stress on the tubes & circuit board wiring (metal fatigue at the solder connections).

Here is one of several sources for Leslie amp mounting hardware: ($5 + shipping)

http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_page.php?item_no=LES-GMT

Includes all you need for mounting a pair of rubber grommets on one end of the Leslie amp. Front & back mounting brackets are available as well(if you need those).

One of these days I'll need to learn to use "klonk" instead of pasting links.

Thanks, Dgas! I've asked the original seller if he happens to have a set or the set from the amp, but if he doesn't, this should do.

Archived