Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help: Wife wants digital piano for xmas, and I'm clueless

DCDireWolf

If I've learned anything about women (and I assure you I haven't), it's that they like boxes and bows and shiny paper. They don't like coupons or going to the music store and getting "used" piannys. :laugh:

Agreed.

Women like diamonds, jewelry, watches - keepsakes they can call their own... something personal. That's gift #1.

It doesn't have to be over-the-top expensive.

But it does have to be personal and just for them.

============================================

She wants to learn to play piano. What we don't know is how serious she is about this and how much time she is willing to give it.

Every single person on this forum knows how much time it requires to get to the level they're at. And many of us also have a good idea of how much time it will take to get to the next level of expertise. I think we will all agree that it's a very big commitment.

So, how serious is she about making this commitment to learn to play the piano?

Will she be delighted by the gift of a digital piano that fits in a small space? Sure. But for how long?

And if she doesn't enlist a teacher to help her learn, move forward, and gain confidence, she'll turn her back on it in six months (or less).

Right?

This is why I stand by my previous post.

RENT something. This way, if things don't work out, you won't have to sell whatever it is you bought.

You don't have the space you need now, but you probably will later on. And later on, if she learns to play and really enjoys it, you will want her to have something nice; not a compromise. Again, you'll need to sell the instrument you first bought and buy something else - unless you rented it.

And if you decide not to rent a keyboard, buy one used. Then when it comes time to move up, you won't lose much.

Again, all this is predicated by my initial advice: take great care in choosing the right gift #1.

If gift #1 hits the mark, you won't have to worry so much about this venture of learning to play piano not working out.

No big deal. If she changes her mind - for whatever reason - it's OK...

Because she still has your thoughtful, personal, keepsake - gift #1.

Good luck.

Tom (old guy... married long time... same woman) :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Women like diamonds, jewelry, watches - keepsakes they can call their own... something personal. That's gift #1.

One good gift idea: a beautiful box with frilly paper and a nice bow. Inside: her very own scale.

:laugh:

What year do students typically start using the other two pedals? Sure, Moonlight Sonata says unicorda for the whole 1st movement, but does the student suffer skipping that part?

The 3-pedal option is nice, but IMHO entirely optional and personally I'd skip it. I'd also skip the bundled headphones in favor of a personally selected set.

But that is exactly the type of stand I'd suggest. Not beautiful furniture, but definitely looks more presentable than an X stand. And the piano pops out easily for portable use with an inexpensive portable stand.

A good bench is appropriate, and I have no idea what they cost or what's a good one -- I use various chairs and stools myself. A bench is better because you occasionally have to shift your location as you play higher or lower on the keyboard. With the kind of music I play, I can always sacrifice a hand for a moment to move the stool when necessary, but that's not the right way to learn.

Actually, I need a bench for my grand piano. It's black matte, but came with a stained wood one. They don't match! I'll worry about that more when the grand is actually playable.

One good gift idea: a beautiful box with frilly paper and a nice bow. Inside: her very own scale.

:laugh:

Wow, that's going to leave a mark! :o

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday I played a Yamaha Arius YDP-181. I thought it was nice. It was marked around $1800. I don't know what the common street price is on it. The same store also had a "New" CP-200 for $1995.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived