Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Solo!

Tenstrum

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, reminds me I still have to come up with something interesting to play during "Sweet Home Chicago". The singer insists on presenting the band and giving us all 12 bars to "do something".

Problem is ... I. Do. Not. Play. Solo's. Never did. Don't really want to. I figure you gotta have something to say, which I don't. I thought up a few things but either can't execute them or I can and they turn out to be boring.

Back to the thread now :) I dig those shorts. Would not be caught de*d wearing em myself, but still ... On second thought, I don't dig em.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Ugh, reminds me I still have to come up with something interesting to play during "Sweet Home Chicago". The singer insists on presenting the band and giving us all 12 bars to "do something".

Problem is ... I. Do. Not. Play. Solo's. Never did. Don't really want to. I figure you gotta have something to say, which I don't. I thought up a few things but either can't execute them or I can and they turn out to be boring.

Back to the thread now :) I dig those shorts. Would not be caught de*d wearing em myself, but still ... On second thought, I don't dig em.

Let the band vamp behind you while youtalk about how"this is where your solo is supposed to go... but you don't have one..."

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Just play your regular bassline with everyone except the drummer playing. Then the audience will finally hear what you are doing.

That should work just fine, especially if you make faces and jump around while you are doing it.

I do that on the "solo" for Brown Eyed Girl (which is just the bassline by itself) and it works every time.

I get eight measures on Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" in E. Solo over the E/A/E/B majors - just like the bass line. So simple even the guy up at the top of the thread could do it. The last "B", I like to to a little B-tothe-A-tothe-G-tothe-F#-resolve to the E just to get the drummer's attention.

I guess, technically, that should be a G#, not a G.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sweet Home Chicago? No problem Just play the bass line or soup it up by playing more of a walking bass line. That's what I do when I get a little solo during a 12-bar blues medely in E we do. It works just fine. No need to get fancy, just keep the groove!

That guy in the picture needs some hair. head banging with short hair just doesn't look right.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

That guy in the picture needs some hair. head banging with short hair just doesn't look right.

As a balding man who shaves his head, I resent that remark. Nothing wrong with "Bald Banging".

Just ask Scott Ian of Anthrax:

[video:youtube]

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Micheal Anthony used to put his bass on the floor and roll back and forth over it while yelling at the top of his lungs.

Best solo ever.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Micheal Anthony used to put his bass on the floor and roll back and forth over it while yelling at the top of his lungs.

Best solo ever.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with VH kicking him out of the band.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

The era of the "rolling around on the floor" bass solo was back in the early '80s. In those days, I don't think Eddie was aware of very much. Apparently, he's not as well today.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

As a balding man who shaves his head, I resent that remark. Nothing wrong with "Bald Banging".

Found out 30 years after the fact that I went to high school with Scott Ian.

Push the button Frank.

Speaking of Anthrax and Scott Ian, I'll be heading the The Orange Peel in Ashville, NC on Jan 30th to see Anthrax, Testament, and Death Angel. Some of my favorite metal bands.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Bass solo? I like playing TV themes in my spot.

It's fun - in the past bands have either enjoyed it, or stopped giving me solos. I'm OK either way.

Just picked up Brown Eyed Girl in my work-band. I'm copying what's on the record.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Whoa, being that I'm approaching skullet territory myself I understand. Yes in my opinion shaved heads can look cool head bangin', but you have to admit this looks pretty darn cool!

For the record, I still wish I had a head of hair like that.

:cry:

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Sometimes I get a few bars when the band leader introduces us at the end of the set. And like Victor said, it's all about keeping the groove going. I'm fully aware that some bass solos can get ponderous, so I just make an effort to keep the groove going, but really embelish it in the process.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived