Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ventilator hit the door!

yannis D

... i know there are similar threads, but i just wanted to share my excitement you you all. The item just came from Germany - 400 euros brand new. Very light and the knobs seem well built.

I'm gonna use it for the first time with my Electro 2 this Friday. I plan to "erase" my internal leslie sim from the memory locations in the Electro and run the instrument through Vent only. Do you guys have any advice to get my sound better? What about the overdrive? Genre: funkified greek/balcan music with a twist of 60's

Thanx

yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, late at night, when it's just the missus and me and a bottle of chilled wine by the fire, I like to put on some funkified greek/balcan music with a twist of 60's. It makes the world just seem... right.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I use my Neo Vent in combination with my Nord Electro 2...brings that puppy to another level! Best $500 I ever spent for my sound! The thing that I love about it is that I usually setup my amp pretty close to me so I can actually "feel the leslie" against my leg which really inspires me to dig in. I'm constantly getting people asking me where I setup the leslie. Also, this thing is built like a tank. Before I added velcro, it was knocked off my keyboard to the floor twice. Not a scratch.

Honestly, unless you're a stubborn purist, there is no reason to lug out a leslie anymore.

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

Use the headphones out jack, I always did when I had an NE2, much hotter signal.

Yes you are so right about the headphone jack! Also, you get a more balanced signal. And, if you listen close, you can hear a significant different in the Nord's leslie sim ramp up time...which is kinda irrelevant since we have vents =D

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

I'm constantly getting people asking me where I setup the leslie.

So you're one of the lucky ones playing for crowds that actually KNOW what a Leslie is? :thu:

Thanx for the input. In a few hours I'm gonna try the Vent in a gig - no amp though. My Electro is gonna go str8 to the PA. More impressions tomorrow.

Use the headphones out jack, I always did when I had an NE2, much hotter signal.

Yes you are so right about the headphone jack! Also, you get a more balanced signal. And, if you listen close, you can hear a significant different in the Nord's leslie sim ramp up time...which is kinda irrelevant since we have vents =D

What cable are you using? Stereo 1/4" to one summed Mono 1/4"?

victoria bc

Welcome to world of the Vent!!

I absolute love mine.. turns my CX3 into a beast! There have been several gigs where a few folks would gravitate towards my rig during a solo to take a glance at my setup, with looks of amazement... definitely nothing to do with my playing, LOL

Kronos 88 Platinum, Casio PX-5S, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

No, don't do that. If you short the hp outputs together, something will fry eventually.

Either mix them together (passively w resistors or actively with 2 mixer channels), OR take 1 channel only.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

No, don't do that. If you short the hp outputs together, something will fry eventually.

Either mix them together (passively w resistors or actively with 2 mixer channels), OR take 1 channel only.

That's why I asked - I've been wary of the headphone jack because only one side will get to the Ven't one input - so I'm just going the safe route from NE's Mono out. That's what the high/low switch on the Ventilator is for.

:thu:

victoria bc

Hey all, I'm pretty pumped about this Vent thing too. I just got mine a week ago, and the first gig out with it is tomorrow night. So far, just goofing around with it at home, I really love the slow speed with OD at about 1 to 2 o'clock position for those long sustained chords. For some reason though, I'm less thrilled with the high speed, but maybe I'm just still getting used to it. Don't have a quality clonewheel (yet!) but it even makes my old Kurzweil's organ patches sound good so I'm bringing that out for the first time in a few years tomorrow night.

(I've been lurking this forum a while, and not posted anything yet until now so I just had to jump in the mix here somewhere...)

Welcome, Klingston!

I actually had the same feeling about the high speed when i first bought it, after messing with it for a while i found what i was looking for. So yeah, it just needs some getting used to.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

So... this thing made my Electro sound incredible! It is really the best sim out there and it doesn't compare with the internal leslie simulation of the Electro. It's just years ahead-especially the fast rotor, where the Electro really really suffers. My only mistake is that i placed it near my left foot, so it wasn't always easy to play with it's knobs (drive etc). Next time i'll have to put it somewhere near my left hand.

I also used the Vent to run some rhodes sounds through it, and it made them sound even sweeter.

Band mates liked it a lot-even the bar owner gave us more money than we had agreed :)

Tusker, I used the headphones out. Actually the signal was pretty hot las night and i had to bring my mixer down a notch. It was loud and clear and it was the first time after years, I really had my Electro inside the band mix and not as a far away echo.

No never do this. I run it in mono most of the time just because my gigs don't allow me to go stereo most of the time. The mono-in / stereo-out on the ventilator is freakin phenomenal though

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

As far as settings... I feel the most realistic leslie sound for me from the Ventilator is: about 10 o'clock for the speed, acceleration, and distance. 12'oclock for balance and drive...depending on the tune.

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

Another happy Vent/NE2 owner here. There was initial remorse when the Vent didn't turn the NE2 into an XK3, but that's the fault of the NE2. The Vent is still a significant step up.

I hardpan and run organs out one side of the NE2 and pianos the other. With the hi switch on the Vent engaged there's ample signal to get the Vent grinding if wanted.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I'm on tour now with an offstage Leslie 3300, we use IEM:s and I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the Ventilator. Having a Leslie onstage is a whole other affair...

Vent through IEMs is unbelievable!!!

I cannot fathom how they nailed the Leslie experience so well.

Archived