Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool changes for Christmas tunes

Dave Ferris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave, nice stuff. :thu: Inspired me to do a quick reharm too. Latency problems kept me from playing it in time, so you have to imagine what it might sound like...

http://www.divshare.com/download/16361302-00e

Thanks Linwood, Steve & Michelle, much appreciated.

Wow really nice Steve. Man I loved that chord in bar 8 and especially what you were doing on beats 3& 4 of bar 9 and all of bar 10. Would love to see a transcription of that.

Here's a leadsheet on my OCAYF- I hope my funky writing is readable. It's pretty straight forward , as with a lot of my stuff , the "sounds" or colors are in the voicings. But hopefully it can give someone a base to do their own thing with it.

I have that Cm7/F | % | Am7 | % | thing as a turnaround to the top. I also use it as a vamp at the end.

http://www.divshare.com/download/16366915-5ee

"Have yourself a merry LC"- pretty standard In C :

{: Cadd2 Am7 | Dm7 G7| Em A7+9 | Dm7 G7 | C G/B Am |

1st x | Dm7 G7 G7/F | E7 A7 | D7 G7 :]

2nd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 ||

bridge: F#m7b5 FmMaj7 | Em7 Eb dim. | Dm7 G7 | (C dim maj7 ) Cmaj7 | F#m7b5 B7 | Em /Eb /D /C# | Am9 D7 | Dm11 G13 || back to D.C. and 3rd ending

3rd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 | F Eb7+11 | Dm7 Dm7/G |

standard turnaround....C A7| Dm7 G7 ||

danno-I have that arrangement of What Child, re-copied with the melody up an octave.. It was a Fred Hersch thing. I don't have the original voicings and all. I re-copied it and put in some of my own stuff. Right now my scanner isn't talking to my computer--thus the reason I'm writing all this stuff out. I'll try and get my wife to scan on her work computer when I get a chance and then send it over...

I play it all the time. It is nice...

Sometimes I throw in an |Abmaj7 Dbmaj7 (-5)| in bar 4 of HYAMLC. Sometimes I even warn the bass player :)

Agree about the Fred Hersch 'Greensleeves.' Beautiful, somewhat spacey chords.

Wow, lot's of great additions on here since I last checked-in!

Dave - Love the "Let It Snow" reharm, very creative.

Steve - "Oh Come All Ye" is very deep...I could really feel it.

Tim - Nice playing on the "Jingle Bells" reharm.

Here's my version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". When I play this on a gig the other guys in the band have fun with it, although I'm not quite sure how the listener's handle it... :taz:

[video:youtube]

When I play this on a gig the other guys in the band have fun with it, although I'm not quite sure how the listener's handle it... :taz:

Tell 'em it's the newest Yanni version or something, they'll never know... :D

Really nice Roger. Man you've got the McCoy thing nailed.... :thu:

I have some different stuff for GRYMG too, I'll try and record it sometime this week...

"Have yourself a merry LC"- pretty standard In C :

{: Cadd2 Am7 | Dm7 G7| Em A7+9 | Dm7 G7 | C G/B Am |

1st x | Dm7 G7 G7/F | E7 A7 | D7 G7 :]

2nd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 ||

bridge: F#m7b5 FmMaj7 | Em7 Eb dim. | Dm7 G7 | (C dim maj7 ) Cmaj7 | F#m7b5 B7 | Em /Eb /D /C# | Am9 D7 | Dm11 G13 || back to D.C. and 3rd ending

3rd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 | F Eb7+11 | Dm7 Dm7/G |

standard turnaround....C A7| Dm7 G7 ||.

Sometimes I throw in an |Abmaj7 Dbmaj7 (-5)| in bar 4 of HYAMLC. Sometimes I even warn the bass player :).

I like that Mike, thanks for chiming in.

OK, I fixed the latency problems, so I was able to get a little deeper (quirkier) on this song this time...

http://www.divshare.com/download/16377242-04f

Whoa even better ! That's really great Steve. The Bosie (?) sample sounds excellent. Good recording.

I just spent a good part of the day on an arrangement of We 3 Kings of Orient Are. It's really thorny in places. I've practiced it, changed it around so much today that I can't tell if its just too out or what. I'm going to leave it, come back to it tomorrow, record it and see if I still like it. Jeez I spent a lotta hours on that today... :cry:

A little bit of Winter Wonderland from a quartet gig years ago. Half the tune, from the middle of my solo to the end - I don't know what keyboard I was playing.

http://www.divshare.com/download/16383484-888

Hey Linwood. I'm still pretty happy with the sample. I think it has more body in tone than the others I've heard.

Thanks Dave and hey, hope you go ahead and put up your We 3 Kings, or you'll have to wait til next Christmas. :) Know when to hold 'em, fold 'em, etc., they're probably Aces.

Steve-loved WW, those are THE changes.. The band sounds great and Glenn is really a nice Tenor player. Great solo from you, wished it would have been a tad longer you sounded so good-I wanted more. :thu: Like Roger said, excellent recording too for a live thing. Jazz is not dead in that room, at least on that night.. ;)

Well after many edits, I'm sick of messing with it. This will have to do.

We 3 Kinks can't tune a guitar... :D ...just kidding. I dig the Kinks-well some of it....

Or for anyone from St. Louis reading this-We 3 Kings of Famous & Barr. You would've had to have grown up in St. L. in the 60s to get it. ;)

Yeah Dave, that's my 'now favorite' alternative version of We 3 Kings. You zeroed in on some deep harmonies that remained true to the character of the tune. I liked all of it, and maybe especially from 1:38 to the end, including the Nutcracker quote. Great job.

And thanks for the kind words on my rather generic solo on WW. Nothing fancy there - no musical history was made on Winter Wonderland :) Oh BTW, that's a bari he's playing, but he plays it high sometimes which sounds like a tenor.

I posted those A section changes on the first page of the thread.

Some more homework done. Really high quality stuff from everybody! Roger really has the McCoy thing under his fingers. Steve, great version of WW; it's unfortunate that the song isn't more known here in Europe (well, maybe in the UK). And Dave, I really dig your later style, so concentrated and so symbiotic with the sound of the piano.

As for me, here are my changes for "Greensleeves" in E minor, 6/8 time. No time to record my reharms, sorry - maybe next week.

(Oh, and of course - if someone would feel like playing his own versions, I would be pleased and honored! :) )

"Greensleeves"

| C7 B7 | Bm7 Bb7 | Am7 D7 | Abm7 Db7 |

| C7 B7 | Bm7 Bb7 | Am7 Eb7 | D7 Db7 |

| Cm7 F7 | F#7(#9) B7(#9) | Bb7 A7 | Ab7 Db7 |

| Cm7 F7 | F#7(#9) B7(#9) | Bb7 Eb7 | D7 Db7 |

These changes work well with the melody, but aren't so much fun to blow over..... so I wrote an alternate set of bluesy changes for the solos:

| Em7 A7 | % | Bm7 E7 | Bbm7 Eb7 |

|Am7 D7 | Gm7 C7 | Em7 A7 | ( C#m7b5 F#7 ) |

| B7 | C7 | Db7 | D7 |

Enjoy. :)

Thanks Marino - I'll have to try out your Greensleeves changes.

Dave - Loved the WTK version - very introspective playing and great harmonic treatment!

OK, I promise this is my LAST Christmas song post for this year. Nothing really too different about this version other than the fact that I decided to check out a new Band-in-a-Box electric bass accompaniment for this track. I've heard some really killer versions of this song - especially one by Joshua Redman with an outrageous solo by Brad Mehldau - check it out on Spotify if you get a chance.

[video:youtube]

Very good, Roger! Love the fluid and clean phrasing. Also, the latest BIAB does sound incredible. I have to get it...

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is not very well know in Europe; first time I heard it, it was the Bill Evans version. :)

Also to Non c'è Futuro: Adeste Fideles *is* widely know in English-speaking countries, usually under the title "O Come All Ye Faithful". In fact, it was originally an Irish popular song.

I'm thinking of, um, 're-harming' that one too... :evil::D

Archived