Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool changes for Christmas tunes

Dave Ferris

Might be kinda cool to have a thread where people chime in with their changes for Xmas stuff. The s..t is so overdone I'm always looking for new and different ways to keep me from getting bored. Sometimes all it can take is one chord or voicing, passing chord or turnaround which can breath new life into these war horses.

I just posted this over on Piano World in response to Jazz Wee's post on "Winter Wunderland" :cool: I usually play it Eb but he mentioned G so here it is in G.

[: Gmaj7 C7 | Bm7 E7 | Am11 | D7 (an Ab triad in the rh over the 1-b7 in the lh is a nice effect) | C#m7b5 add4 C7 | Bm7 Bb9 | Am7 D7 |

on the FIRST ENDING | Bm7 E7 Am7 D7 | or | Gmaj7 Am7/D | or if you wanna get real fancy | Gmaj7 Bbmaj7 Ebmaj7 Abmaj7 :]

on the SECOND ENDING going to the bridge it's | Gmaj 7 F#13b9 (try LH 1-b7 RH Eb triad||

The bridge STARTS on the Bmaj7...so

||Bmaj7 C#m7/ F# | repeat | repeat | Bmaj7 Em7 A7 | Dmaj7 Em7/A | Dmaj7 Eb dim. | Em9 A7 | Am11 D7 ||

Last 8 with alternate 1st two bars (which obviously can be used instead of what is written at the top)

|Gmaj7 Am11/D | Gmaj7 Ab dim. | the rest is simile to the top.

I use the F# & A pedals in the bridge too sometimes. If the bass player has ears he should pick up on it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to take the challenge and sat down and came up with this. I kind of played it Latin on the sus parts / walking on the B section with the ii Vs.

http://bobbycressey.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/screen-shot-2011-12-05-at-1-52-05-pm.png

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I had to do an arr of I'll Be Home For Christmas over the weekend. Here's a ruff inst mix that I did quickly. I haven't tracked the vox yet, so there's no real mix of it...... I did a few twists to it but nothing earth-shattering.

I changed the link out so now there's a vocal in there :)

Seasonally appropriate thread, Dave, nice chords.

I did a couple of home recordings in the past of tongue in cheek reharms of Christmas songs to send to friends. If I find them, I'll post it.

For Winter Wondeland, keeping it in G, played as a ballad:

[ Gmaj7 C7+11 | Bm7 E7alt | Am11 | A-maj7 D7b9 | Cmaj7+11 Fmaj7+11 | Bbmaj7 Ebmaj7+11 | Am7 D7 | G etc.

As always, lovely Linwood. The marriage of hip to inside = the definition of tasteful, and you always have that in spades. I love your passing tones and when the piano comes in everything sounds real nice. Can't wait to hear when you lay the lead down.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Well, I'll keep fingers crossed for a little leeway on the religious prohibition because I think this fits the thread. This is an arrangement of "O Come O Come Emmanuel" I did with a video to go with. I think I might have let me prog influences out just a little. :laugh:

O Come O Come Emmanuel

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Kewl! I kinda wrote my own changes to Winter Wonderland and was happy to see the variations. Thanks a lot guys.

I'll be playing this on Friday so I'm finalizing a lead sheet for the band.

Anyone have a cool arrangement to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas? I've just played this using chords to My Romance :)

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

"Have yourself a merry LC"- pretty standard In C :

{: Cadd2 Am7 | Dm7 G7| Em A7+9 | Dm7 G7 | C G/B Am |

1st x | Dm7 G7 G7/F | E7 A7 | D7 G7 :]

2nd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 ||

bridge: F#m7b5 FmMaj7 | Em7 Eb dim. | Dm7 G7 | (C dim maj7 ) Cmaj7 | F#m7b5 B7 | Em /Eb /D /C# | Am9 D7 | Dm11 G13 || back to D.C. and 3rd ending

3rd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 | F Eb7+11 | Dm7 Dm7/G |

standard turnaround....C A7| Dm7 G7 ||

danno-I have that arrangement of What Child, re-copied with the melody up an octave.. It was a Fred Hersch thing. I don't have the original voicings and all. I re-copied it and put in some of my own stuff. Right now my scanner isn't talking to my computer--thus the reason I'm writing all this stuff out. I'll try and get my wife to scan on her work computer when I get a chance and then send it over...

I play it all the time. It is nice...

"Have yourself a merry LC"- pretty standard In C :

{: Cadd2 Am7 | Dm7 G7| Em A7+9 | Dm7 G7 | C G/B Am |

1st x | Dm7 G7 G7/F | E7 A7 | D7 G7 :]

2nd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 ||

bridge: F#m7b5 FmMaj7 | Em7 Eb dim. | Dm7 G7 | (C dim maj7 ) Cmaj7 | F#m7b5 B7 | Em /Eb /D /C# | Am9 D7 | Dm11 G13 || back to D.C. and 3rd ending

3rd ending | Dm7 Dm/C Bm7b5 E7 | Am7 Ab7+5 | Gm7 C7 | F Eb7+11 | Dm7 Dm7/G |

standard turnaround....C A7| Dm7 G7 ||

Just tried this. Sounds great. Some of those chords can't go on my iRealB app though :)

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Here's a goofball version, back when I was first trying out Trilian bass with some cheap strings. Lot of chords and an intentionally inappropriate mix of genres - at least I deleted the solo.

http://www.divshare.com/download/16322292-7c3

and an A section of Winter Wonderland: http://www.divshare.com/download/9913153-c67

I do Jingle Bells over and All Blues kinda groove. The All Blue bass line would be one bar in the thing, ergo 'snow' in the line 'dashing through the snow would be the beginning of bar 2, voicings flavored to taste

Dashing through the snow....

| G7 | G7 | G7 | C7 | C7 | D7 | D7 | B7(or minor) Bb7 (or E7) A7 (or minor) D7 |

[ G7 | G7 | G7 | C7 | C7 | B7 E7 | A7 D7 | G7 D7 |

Jingle bells

| G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 | C7 | B7 E7 | A7 | Am D7 |

| G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 | C7 | B7 E7 | A7 D7 | G7 |

Solo over All Blues changes or any other blues changes....

EDIT - don't be afraid to play some 4 in the melody against the 3 feel

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I was having fun with the Korg M3 awhile back and came up with this festive arrangement of "Pat a Pan." Since then, I've been working on contemporary arrangements of several other Christmas songs. :)

[video:youtube]

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Good thread, and good music.

Exactly 31 years ago, I had written jazz changes for "Silent Night"... I know I still have that piece of paper somewhere, but I didn't feel like destroying my apartment to retrieve it, so I just re-wrote it in a similar fashion.

"Silent Night" in G - one chord per measure:

Gmaj7 - Cmaj7 - BØ - E7b9

AØ - Ab7 - Gm7 - C7

C#Ø - F#7b9 - F#Ø - B7

EØ - A7 - Ab7b5 - Db7

F#Ø - B7 - Em7 - A7

AØ - D7 - Ebmaj7 - Abmaj7

I once recorded "Silent Night" with gospel changes, and a 3-part kazoo harmony in it as well. Obviously, it was meant to be funny. Seemed to be received the way we intended ...

Also a reggae version of "Let it Snow." That's how I managed to become unbored with Christmas a couple of decades ago. :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Loved WC Roger, you're always swingin' ! I like the Dbm7-Gb7 on the turnaround on the 1st ending.

I play it as a ballad in C, not as hip as what you're doing but hey it's usually me sittin' in some rich guys living room in Bev Hills playing this stuff...they want it pretty straight. That's ok, I get 'em back when they're not looking or paying attention.. :laugh:

I use that "April in Paris" thang with the third (the melody) voiced in parallel Maj. 7 chords.

so the voicing is basically--LH 1-5 & RH 3-7-3

It's like:

2 beats Cmaj7 then these are all eight notes at ballad tempo Dbmaj7 Cmaj7 Bmaj7 Cmaj7 | Dm7 (1-5 & 3-7-3 again ) // eight notes again Gb7 G7|

I voice those Dominant chords like LH- Gb E RH- Abm7 triad..Ab B Eb Gb and then same thing up a half step for the G7..it's a nice sound.

It's kinda old school but a nice twist.

"White Christmas":

| C | B7 | Bb7 | A7 |

| Dm7 | G7 | Em7 |A7 |

| C#m7 | F#m7 | Fm7 | Bb7 |

1st ending:

| A7 | D7 | Dm7b5 | G7 |

2nd ending:

| A7 | Dm7b5 G7 | C F | F#7 G7 |

Disclaimer: I haven't verified this on an instrument, so it could very well sound awful. Btw the idea is to start quite traditionally (for jazz harmony anyway), then give it a nice twist at bar 9.

I use that "April in Paris" thang with the third (the melody) voiced in parallel Maj. 7 chords.

so the voicing is basically--LH 1-5 & RH 3-7-3

It's like:

2 beats Cmaj7 then these are all eight notes at ballad tempo Dbmaj7 Cmaj7 Bmaj7 Cmaj7 | Dm7 (1-5 & 3-7-3 again ) // eight notes again Gb7 G7|

I do basically the same thing, but I play Dm7 instead of Db... Even more old school! :)

I found a nice version of "Feliz Navidad" where the harmony for the 'I want to wish you a merry christmas' part goes (D major) // G#m7b5 / Gmaj7/ Cmaj7/ B7b9/ Em D/F# G/ A11 / (and repeat)...

Marino!

Long time!

I have to buy some of your music, send me a link!

Here's my reharm of Jingle Bells

Verse

|| Fmaj7 | Em7 | Eb7#11 | Bbmaj7#11/D | Gm7 | C7 | F#7 | Fmaj7|

| Fmaj7 | Em7 | Eb7#11 | Bbmaj7#11/D | Gm7 | C7 | F#7 | Fmaj7 F#7 ||

Chorus

| F maj 7 | Em7b5 A7 | Dm7 G7 | C7 F#7 | Bmaj7 | Em7b5 A7 | Dm7 Db7 | C7 |

| F maj 7 | Em7b5 A7 | Dm7 G7 | C7 F7 | Bbmaj7 | Em7b5 | Dm7 G7 | F#maj 7 ||

Marino!

Long time!

Hey Phil - how are you doing?

I have to buy some of your music, send me a link!

You're too kind... I'll make an announcement for my new album shortly - presumably in the "Shameless Plug" section.

Here's my reharm of Jingle Bells

Um, it sounds like I passed the Perverted Reharm Virus to you... :D Btw that B7 is a typo for a Bb7, right? Tell me it's so! :D

Archived