Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you wish you could play?

JpScoey

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I could sing, and, despite all the prejudice against them, I wish i could really shred lead guitar...

and then maybe also flute....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Wish I could sing better. Doesn't stop me from singing anyway, but I would make it my focal point were I better at it.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Sax. Would be great to do a bit of a Van Morrison occasionally :) But alas, I've always been hopeless with wind instruments of all types, from recorder upwards!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I always wanted to be.....

[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Pretty much the same stuff I listed in the other thread, starting with piano and organ, then working my way through guitar, drums, and bass. Being able to sing would be nice, instead of the squawking I tend to do.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I went through a phase wanting to buy and learn sitar after hearing Colin Walcott with Oregon. Another with Chapman Stick after seeing Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel on PG's 2nd album tour. Never went for either.
I tried the Stick thing for a while. Got one in the early 90's. Sold it for good bread a few years ago. Intriguing things, indeed, but their best attribute is holding their value ;)

I owned a Stick as well, before I "simplified" my instrument collection to just 3 types (keys, guitar, viola/violin).

Wish I could sing, and, despite all the prejudice against them, I wish i could really shred lead guitar...

and then maybe also flute....

I thought all Swedes were born with the ability to play shred metal on guitar. ;)

I'd be cool with having a better singing voice, but what really holds me back is not having the gift of writing lyrics like my favorite lyricists (Becker & Fagen, Peter Gabriel, Nick Cave).

But, I am dying to try a bandoneon or concertina. I saw Renato Borghetti (Argentina) play one and it was absolutely killer. I have started researching these reed instruments and they have a long long history, and it seems they have 20 variations. These are button accordions, no keys. They may even be in only 1 key. I do intend to check this out, even well used ones are rather expensive.

I'm curious about the bandoneon also. I was in Buenos Aires for a couple weeks in 2009 for work. It was a happy coincidence that they were having their International Tango Festival while I was there so I got to see a wide variety of excellent tango musicians (for free!) and was quite taken with the music in general and the bandoneon in particular. Of course, I had heard tango in small doses before, but seeing it performed live by the best was a real revelation.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I wish I could play 3rd Base for the New York Yankees. Then I would have made $32 million last season.

On second thought, since I don't like the Yankees, I'd rather play 1st Base for the Detroit Tigers. That way, I'd still make $20 million and not everyone would hate me.

Seriously, I'd love to play upright bass. My electric bass playing is pretty good, but I really want to move to the upright. Maybe in 2012.

Wow . . . both the same. Base and Bass. Coincidence? I think not!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Instruments I wish I could play:

Acoustic bass

Bass clarinet

Cello

Pedal Steel

Drums

Accordion

Guitar

Drums

...then I'd never need to leave my studio.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I always liked the sound of the flute & have toyed with one for about 5 minutes. It would be very cool to play Violin or Cello, but liklely not in this life.

I play drums somewhat & really wish I was better. The problem is, that I play enough to have good feel & an undestanding of grooves & patterns.... & have learned to use technology to do the rest. ie, I'm an excellent drum programmer, and that has probably kept me from working at getting better at playing the instrument.

I wish I sucked as bad as Kanker does at piano, or organ for that matter. I'd love to be able to play jazz, but I just don't get it, so until then, I'll stick with E, A & the other one.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Apart from just wishing I could play piano/organ/guitar (& sing) better, I do wish I could play sax. I've tried several times over the years, usually on a borrowed horn, and can negotiate a few licks here and then (I sound especially good when playing along with David Sanborn tracks :-). I do now have my own alto, just a beaten up Conn student model that was originally bought for one of my children so he could play in the school band. My ambition is to be able to play in an ensemble of some sort one day. I've always played rhythm section instruments, so I'd love to be able to slot into a big horn section one day.

I tried accordion a few years ago, but I found that working the bellows gave me tennis elbow, so I abandoned that, as I have enough problems with hands and arms these days and I don't want to endanger my current instrumental capabilities.

John

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

I wish I could REALLy sing. I'm ok with backups and can pick out parts pretty well, but I'd love to have a Darryl Hall/Todd Rundgren lead singer voice.

Otherwise, I wish I could play just about anything else. Sax or guitar would be especially nice. Even something like a concertina to be able to sit in with my acoustic buddies when they jam.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Drums and on a much lesser note sax. I love air drumming during my stair master workout and love reading drumhead and modern drummer and have picked up some good general advice tips in those mags that help on any gig. I snuck onto the drum kit during a sound check last April and jammed with our guitarist. I could do it if I wanted to but there isn't enough time to stay good at three other instruments I'm keeping up with. Reading some of these post I'm thankful I can sing well but u gotta work at it.

Percussion, especially hand drums like congas or something similar. I would love to be able to play something groovy.

I play electric guitar reasonably well, but just cannot ever seem to play acoustic guitar to where I'm satisfied with how it sounds, so even though technically I know how to play guitar, I'll put acoustic guitar down on this list! :D

Guitar, Drums, bass. It would be handy for recording. Really wish I was a gifted vocalist too as someone else mentioned, but that is something your born with I think. I could probably learn all the other instruments to some degree with lots of practice. My vocal cords wont change though

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Archived