Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you wish you could play?

JpScoey

Sort-of an off-shoot of Joe M's thread on 'What else do you play?', the double edged question is -

1: What else (instrument) do you WISH you could play?..... and ,

2: What would you really NOT like to play?

For me, I wish I could play guitar much better (strictly a 'strummer-only', me).

I also wish I had a half-decent singing voice.

The 'instrument' from hell for me, by a long long way, would be bagpipes.

I suppose they might be useful in battle 'cos if you heard that din coming,

wouldn't you rather run away & be out of earshot - (nevermind gunshot)? :rimshot:!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mandolin....like Chris Thile.

No back-breaking load in/out, no amps, no electicity!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Given the extra hours to work on one other instrument, it would be guitar, but I find all instruments amazing and beautiful in their own way.

I'm amazed by those who can pick up any instrument and grok it straight away.

But I'm so over beating myself up over what I can't do.

I make software noises.

I went through a phase wanting to buy and learn sitar after hearing Colin Walcott with Oregon. Another with Chapman Stick after seeing Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel on PG's 2nd album tour. Never went for either.
I tried the Stick thing for a while. Got one in the early 90's. Sold it for good bread a few years ago. Intriguing things, indeed, but their best attribute is holding their value ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Sort-of an off-shoot of Joe M's thread on 'What else do you play?', the double edged question is -

1: What else (instrument) do you WISH you could play?..... and ,

2: What would you really NOT like to play?

For me, I wish I could play guitar much better (strictly a 'strummer-only', me).

I also wish I had a half-decent singing voice.

wouldn't you rather run away & be out of earshot - (nevermind gunshot)? :rimshot:! I assume that you know the definition of a Scottish Gentleman??-- Someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't

I've been thinking and figured I've been playing piano + hammond for 48 years ! and I still can't play worth a damn. So, the first would be to be a better player of my current instruments. But, I am dying to try a bandoneon or concertina. I saw Renato Borghetti (Argentina) play one and it was absolutely killer. I have started researching these reed instruments and they have a long long history, and it seems they have 20 variations. These are button accordions, no keys. They may even be in only 1 key. I do intend to check this out, even well used ones are rather expensive.

Regards,

Musicale

wouldn't you rather run away & be out of earshot - (nevermind gunshot)? :rimshot:!

I assume that you know the definition of a Scottish Gentleman??--

Someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't

:thu:

(slightly corrected for you there Timelord - just in case it was lost in translation)!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I'd love to play the cello. I've played a bunch of things including violin as a very young child, but the cello just sings.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Piano= at a far higher level than I can now.
+several billion

This ^^^^ , not to mention my Hammond chops. I fake well on a clonewheel :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'm already playing the instrument that I always wished I could play! (I didn't start playing piano until my early 20's). As for others I wish I could play clarinet, or violin, or drums; none of which I'll ever devote the time to.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I would really like to learn to play the piano well. I am self taught and started to play at the age of 59. I am now 73 and can play but not well at all. It seems that in 14 years, I would have learned to play much better. I practice diligently.

I have played for churches, programs, at nursing homes and other affairs but I see the other piano players and wish.

I need a magic bullet of chords and progressions for each hand.

There's always a tradeoff between spending time on keys, or the other instruments.

For me at the moment, it's about improving my piano technique and learning to play LH Hammond bass.

But I've always thought about playing lap steel one day...

1. Violin and/or Flute

2. I don't think there's a single instrument i wouldn't like to play. When played by the right player anything can sound good, at least to me.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

it pains me to say it, but guitar I suppose .. would be nice to step out and play the occasional rythmn guitar with the band on some tunes .. (think of Bob Mayo with Frampton when he would occasionally do that, I beleive) ..

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I wish that I had a decent singing voice....I have always thought that you are born with a good singing voice, not sure if it is possible to "learn"...

that being said, would like to learn guitar

Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

Archived